A little confused about ship time/port time

Jenna

I am sailing out in December on Symphony. One of our ports is Roatan, Honduras. Now I understand that the ship stays on Miami time no matter what (although I have heard conflicting things about this, so can someone confirm?). I want to book a private tour early in the morning. Cruise Planner says we dock at 7am. So this is ship time? So it would actually be 6am in Roatan? Now if I wanted to schedule a tour for say, 8am (side question - how soon after dock time can you usually get off the ship?), do I book it for 7am with the tour company?

Sorry if this seems like a very simple question but my mind is all mixed up and I don't want to book the wrong times.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Jenna said:

So this is ship time?

No, local time, and yes, the ship does change time zones from EST. Don't book anything less than at least one hour after scheduled arrival and make sure the operator takes delays into account (and has a good refund policy).

Edited by Biker19

I went on symphony to Roatan Dec 2019 right before this covid crap.  Ship docking time was EST, so Roatan time was actually an hour earlier.  Bottom line….for our cruise, local time was actually an hour earlier than we were told we were arriving there. 7 ship time, 6 local.  Maybe it’s because of daylight savings time….all I know is 1 hour difference in December.

Edited by dianajo67

IGNORE THE POSTED TIME.  Tell the tour operator what ship you're coming in on and the date.  They'll know what time you're available, and what time you need to be back.

Before you get off the ship, confirm SHIP time, find out the "All Aboard Time", and keep a watch set to SHIP time.  Make sure you're back by All Aboard Time.

And be careful with using your cell phone or smart watch for time.  Most are set (you can change this) to change to local time.

Which, if the ship does not change could be a VERY BAD THING.

A cheap wind up watch would be a good idea.