Mardi Gras 9/18 Testing Dilemma

alrichards4003

I had scheduled our tests at CVS for 9/15 and a few hours later received the new testing protocols. I cancelled and rescheduled for the 16th. We are leaving Friday afternoon. In Tampa neither Walgreens nor CVS have the rapid test. I think I have 3 options. Does anyone have a suggestion.

1. Get test at CVS; hope results are received by Saturday morning. As backup order proctored home test to do Saturday if the results are not received.

2. Get CVS test and hope the results are received by Saturday morning, if not, hope Carnival has testing up and running at the pier.

3. Go to urgent care or other paid covid testing.

What does everyone else plan on doing?

Not sure why you think carnival would have testing at the pier up and running. I'd cross off that idea. I've heard maybe nov. They said they are looking into it, not that there are any plans in place.

Surely there is some place to be rapid tested. My friend is driving 2.5 hours to get tested. Or buy the emed monitored test. It's hard to believe there is no place you can get to that does rapid test. I signed up 2 weeks ahead to get mine at CVS. I would not do the long test and wish and hope it's done in time, I'd look for a rapid test. 

• Like 1

Same problem here. Rapid tests (15 min.)are not available. Do not know what to do. Rapid tests at CVS Saying you can get the results in 24 maybe 48 is not an option. We have the home Rapid test, but do not know how that is going to help us.

6 minutes ago, Ladybug5 said:

Same problem here. Rapid tests (15 min.)are not available. Do not know what to do. Rapid tests at CVS Saying you can get the results in 24 maybe 48 is not an option. We have the home Rapid test, but do not know how that is going to help us.

Its has to be the proctored home test, that they send you results you can show to car ival.

Cant be just a home test.

I agree with Firefly, you can’t have Carnival pier-side testing as your backup because that most likely won’t be in place for you.  If I were in your place I would either order the eMed or other proctored home test, or find a place within reasonable driving distance to get a fast test.  I drove 1-1/2 hours each way to get my test, but would have driven further if that’s what it took.  Either that or go to urgent care and pay if that’s available to you.  The urgent care in my town is only testing symptomatic patients.

Edited by nwcruiselover

34 minutes ago, Ladybug5 said:

The ones OTC from the pharmacy are not monitored and not accepted.  Just be sure you have the correct ones….

5DB5CEB3-E701-48DF-9C57-50BBF2888C2A.jpeg

Don’t rely on CVS. I scheduled a rapid test with them and they said they could only do pcr when i showed up. I took the test on Wednesday and got the results on Sunday. I also took a Walmart pcr on Wednesday and got their results on Friday morning. My absolute fail safe was I had an appointment for a rapid at the Orlando airport. I was able to cancel that when Walmart came through. Finally…follow my reviews and you don’t have to ask these questions. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alrichards4003 said:

I had scheduled our tests at CVS for 9/15 and a few hours later received the new testing protocols. I cancelled and rescheduled for the 16th. We are leaving Friday afternoon. In Tampa neither Walgreens nor CVS have the rapid test. I think I have 3 options. Does anyone have a suggestion.

1. Get test at CVS; hope results are received by Saturday morning. As backup order proctored home test to do Saturday if the results are not received.

2. Get CVS test and hope the results are received by Saturday morning, if not, hope Carnival has testing up and running at the pier.

if you don't mind paying depending on the airport a lot of them have rapid testing

here at DFW $79 rapid antigen 45min to an hour for results

You have plenty of time to order the proctored home tests from either emed or optum if you are vaccinated because its a rapid test.  Order more than you need incase one is nonconclusive.  You'll have your results within 30 minutes.  That's my plan.  Back up plan is CVS but I'm not confident that they won't cancel or not have the rapid and results will take too long.  

I do a mock Walgreens testing appointment for the ID-NOW test, they do show that test is available in the Tampa area. Granted, at the moment there are no more available appointments. But perhaps it's the kind of thing that you can get if you know when the next appointments are made available each day and can jump on one.

Though, given that even the Walgreens PCR tests seem to have limited availability in the Tampa area, that may be a longshot.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, alrichards4003 said:

See if covidclinic.org is near you. They do the rapid test and results are within an hour. They charge $129.00 but you should be able to get a refund from youf Med insurance.

24 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

See if covidclinic.org is near you. They do the rapid test and results are within an hour. They charge $129.00 but you should be able to get a refund from youf Med insurance.

Not all Med insurers will pay for tests.  Not considered a necessity for insurance purposes.

However, OP has time to order the EMed on line home test and then use that.  Threads on these boards with info.  And also via Amazon.  You'll get 6 tests for the same price as one at the covidclinic.org.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Not all Med insurers will pay for tests.  Not considered a necessity for insurance purposes.

However, OP has time to order the EMed on line home test and then use that.  Threads on these boards with info.  And also via Amazon.  You'll get 6 tests for the same price as one at the covidclinic.org.

I never said all. Mine does Humana. No matter how many times I get tested. Check to see if they will first. Logical is it not!

Florida is doing a good job of making rapid testing available at the county level.  Hillsborough County has 2 locations open 9-5 for rapid testing, just walk up.  I have a family of 9 and we tested in Santa Rosa County and it was fast efficient and had quick results.

Edited by robertdonlon

On 9/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, alrichards4003 said:

3 we have no other choice

2 minutes ago, MardiGras10022021 said:

is that done via live dr.

Yes it is. Tons of videos on YouTube for it.

Reader's Digest version: Download the app, enter your information, confirm your email. From a computer with a vid camera (or you can use your phone), go to eMed's site, click start test. It verifies you can hear a sound then connects you with a healthcare proctor. Just follow their instructions and done at home in less than 30 minutes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Yes it is. Tons of videos on YouTube for it.

Reader's Digest version: Download the app, enter your information, confirm your email. From a computer with a vid camera (or you can use your phone), go to eMed's site, click start test. It verifies you can hear a sound then connects you with a healthcare proctor. Just follow their instructions and done at home in less than 30 minutes.

what was the cost on that.where did you order from, 

10 minutes ago, MardiGras10022021 said:

what was the cost on that.where did you order from, 

eMed sells a 6-pack for $150. Optum sells a 2-pack for $70 or a 3-pack for $99. I would make sure to have an extra in case a test comes back invalid. You can submit the cost to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Note: You have to buy the ones that are proctored, not the $24 test for 2 at CVS or Walmart. Just order direct from the site and you are fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

eMed sells a 6-pack for $150. Optum sells a 2-pack for $70 or a 3-pack for $99. I would make sure to have an extra in case a test comes back invalid. You can submit the cost to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Note: You have to buy the ones that are proctored, not the $24 test for 2 at CVS or Walmart. Just order direct from the site and you are fine.

we ordered 6 tests from emed. we won't open till we need them on 9/31 area. thank you helped tons,

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I never said all. Mine does Humana. No matter how many times I get tested. Check to see if they will first. Logical is it not!

Two questions:

1. Did you go to the location in Jensen Beach?

2. Did you submit the bill to Humana already and they approved it?

BoozinCroozin has the fast, inexpensive, and low stress answer to your pre cruise test questions!!   See posts #17, #19 and #21 above.... Why drive all over town when you can get it done easily at home?

Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit 6 Pack (emed.com)

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

I can't claim to own it. Another person here used it and did a video. I watched several others on YouTube. Once they moved it to 2-days, we had little choice. Wife and daughter are already taking 3 days off school for our cruise. Taking more time off scrambling for a test was unnecessary. eMed is open 24/7 and even on holidays. Login with your camera on and everything is smooth from what I have seen.

I just know in my area lots of businesses are requiring weekly testing for the unvaxxed starting Monday. The medical insurance is not covering those tests. We do not have a shortage yet, but they said based on the incoming demand, tests will become difficult in 2-3 weeks. Turn around times will also be longer. In the time it takes to drive to get tested, I can have the results already and be stress free. Completely worth it for $150 (+$16 for shipping), even if insurance doesn't reimburse me 

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 1