Regent - Shuttle service from pier to city center?

travelpanther

We are booked on our first Regent cruise September 2022.  (We have previously sailed with Viking - both river and ocean.)  We usually do a few of the included excursions, but more often than not, we like to explore and make our own plans in port.  On a typical day, we would catch the Viking shuttle just in front of the ship, get dropped off at a major landmark, and make a return shuttle trip back to the ship in the evening before setting sail for the next port.  Does Regent offer a shuttle service like this from the pier to city center?  (When I inquired and spoke to a Regent representative, he just kept telling me about the private car option with guide included, which I am not interested in.)                 

As already noted, sometimes yes and sometimes, no. We have used them in Helsinki, Madeira,  and Lisbon. These are places where we were not docked in the city center. In places where you are near the city center, there is no need. I would caution that in the current covid world, some ports only allow people off that are on "ship tours".  Even when they had them, they were not advertised much beforehand. We were made aware of them the day before we docked. This would greatly impact your pre-planning. 

• Like 1

If the main city is a reasonable distance from where the ship is docked, there's usually a shuttle. If it's a longer haul, excursions often include an option for "[City X] on your own". Those aren't really a shuttle, because they don't run back and forth. Instead, they leave the ship at a specific time and pick you up for return at another specific time. Often, the ship is docked within walking distance--a real advantage for smaller ships. This is particularly true of Navigator, Regent's smallest ship.

Is there a particular port that you have in mind?

I second Flossie's comments - there is usually a way to get into town but not always. Often you can take a short excursion and then just notify the guide that you're staying in town (so they don't waste time looking for you) and make your way back to the ship after some on-your-own time.  A lot depends on the port you're docked in, and in this Covid world, well, who really knows?

I've taken some LONG hikes in the past after misjudging just exactly how far the port was from the town center.  🙂

Final word:  The ship WILL leave on time whether you're back or not.  Not speaking from experience, but I have seem some interesting YouTube videos of some 'Pier Runners'.

15 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I second Flossie's comments - there is usually a way to get into town but not always. Often you can take a short excursion and then just notify the guide that you're staying in town (so they don't waste time looking for you) and make your way back to the ship after some on-your-own time.  A lot depends on the port you're docked in, and in this Covid world, well, who really knows?

I've taken some LONG hikes in the past after misjudging just exactly how far the port was from the town center.  🙂

Final word:  The ship WILL leave on time whether you're back or not.  Not speaking from experience, but I have seem some interesting YouTube videos of some 'Pier Runners'.

Regent will go to extraordinary lengths not to leave any passengers ashore. I have never seen it happen In my over 50 Regent cruise. But don't rely on my opinion. Because they might. Also. Always take the port agent contact info with you if you go ashore independently, just in case of emergency.

Lastly, if you are on a B2B cruise, they never have a town shuttle on turnaround day.

J

7 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Regent will go to extraordinary lengths not to leave any passengers ashore. I have never seen it happen In my over 50 Regent cruise. But don't rely on my opinion. Because they might. Also. Always take the port agent contact info with you if you go ashore independently, just in case of emergency.

Lastly, if you are on a B2B cruise, they never have a town shuttle on turnaround day.

J

@JMARINER - agreed.  Only about 10 Regent cruises and I haven't seen anyone left behind...although I've see a few close calls, as in announcements being made, a couple running down the pier and up the gangway, 5 seconds later the gangway was pulled in and we cast off...

But I don't want to be that odd man out, literally...

Email the ship's concierge prior to your cruise and ask for the daily write-up for each port stop and tell them what you are looking for. I do this whenever there is a new port or one we have not seen recently and I get a pdf file back for the cruise in question.

Thank you to all for your advice!  I guess we really will "have to see" as we get closer to September 2022.  I have reached out to several independent tour/excursion operators with no response.  Because our booking date for Regent excursions is later this week, I plan to make my selections with Regent for right now.  Just hoping the world changes for the better by next year!