Isolation of Passengers who tested positive for COVID ?

plucasana

I wonder:

IF you test positive while on board (although fully vaccinated) and have to be isolated on the ship.

Do you get to stay in your own cabin or is there a different (roped off) area on the ship ?

Edited by plucasana

• plucasana changed the title to Isolation of Passengers who tested positive for COVID ?
51 minutes ago, plucasana said:

I wonder:

IF you test positive while on board (although fully vaccinated) and have to be isolated on the ship.

Do you get to stay in your own cabin or is there a different (roped off) area on the ship ?

From what I have read they move you. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lovrccl said:

From what I have read they move you. 

Not sure how Celebrity does it, but after moving you, it's my understanding that generally cruise lines immediately remove infected passengers from the ship at the next port visited.

• Like 1

Don't let them test you unless they had a good reason. I just got back from a cruise on Saturday. It was great and no issues but I would have told them to get stuffed if they came at us with a testing request aboard for some reason especially testing before boarding.  

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Don't let them test you unless they had a good reason. I just got back from a cruise on Saturday. It was great and no issues but I would have told them to get stuffed if they came at us with a testing request aboard for some reason especially testing before boarding.  

Would have made for a very abbreviated cruise.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

This is true.  I think if you refuse their testing protocol, they will either deny boarding or toss the passenger off the ship at the next port.  Might make for a great YouTube video with many hits, but a spoiled vacation to be sure.  

Might also make for a lifetime ban by the cruise line, but unsure about that one.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, plucasana said:

I wonder:

We were in the Edge 2 weeks ago, and 2 passengers ( vaccinated) tested positive for Covid.  They were isolated in rooms near the medical facilities & were taken off the ship at the 1st port.  The Captain said they were flown home on a private jet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, curtsfan said:

We were in the Edge 2 weeks ago, and 2 passengers ( vaccinated) tested positive for Covid.  They were isolated in rooms near the medical facilities & were taken off the ship at the 1st port.  The Captain said they were flown home on a private jet.

At whose expense?  I presume insurance paid?

32 minutes ago, canderson said:

Maybe ..... I purposely took no tours to give them little reason to come after us. I am vaccinated and I tested negative before boarding. All they will do is dump you in some foreign country for 10 days at your expense. Throwing you off as soon as they can. I'd rather be thrown off for refusing and then take a cab to the airport and fly home 6 hours later than be quarantined for 10 days there at an extreme personal expense. I'd make some great YouTube videos of them dragging us off the ship with zero symptoms, vaccination cards, and negative test results in hand waving them at the camera. See if they'd like that publicity on the news. Once I'm on board, have tested negative to board, fully vaccinated, don't have a single symptom you can get lost because Joe Schmo four decks above has covid ..... Not my problem. If I was not feeling well and went to medical on my own and tested positive then that is different. I can guarantee you that on every cruise right now and the one I just got off of there were people that probably had covid with all the coughing I heard.  I also guarantee you that no one, and I mean no one, would go to medical to report their mild symptoms of what MIGHT be covid and risk quarantine and being thrown off the ship unless their life was in danger. No one would rush to medical to report congestion and some sneezing  and coughing.  They know what would happen to them. They would contribute to the air conditioning or going from hot to cold in and out.  They'd keep it quiet and mind their own for the remaining cruise days and get off and be gone..... truth . 

Edited by tallnthensome

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

All they will do is dump you in some foreign country for 10 days at your expense. 

I guess you have been unaware of Celebrity's current protocol that they've used for all positives.  Read down to the Covid 19 Assistance heading.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

That policy goes all the way thru Halloween.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I guess you have been unaware of Celebrity's current protocol that they've used for all positives.  Read down to the Covid 19 Assistance heading.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

That policy goes all the way thru Halloween.

I'm aware of the policy and it ends next month as you stated. Do they pay for all your meals during quarantine? Flight costs up front? Do they pay all expenses right away or after a family of four goes broke with credit cards maxed after day 9 of quarantine and meals all while waiting for payment from Celebrity months later? Which is it? 

Edited by tallnthensome

22 minutes ago, Tudy said:

The cruise line pays.I was on that same cruise.

Until 31 October departures.   Sailings after that date won't have that 'benefit' included unless X chooses to extend it between now and then.

Ah, I see someone has already pointed the OP to the missed information.  Never mind.

Edited by canderson

34 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Maybe ..... I purposely took no tours to give them little reason to come after us. I am vaccinated and I tested negative before boarding. All they will do is dump you in some foreign country for 10 days at your expense. Throwing you off as soon as they can. I'd rather be thrown off for refusing and then take a cab to the airport and fly home 6 hours later than be quarantined for 10 days there at an extreme personal expense. I'd make some great YouTube videos of them dragging us off the ship with zero symptoms, vaccination cards, and negative test results in hand waving them at the camera. See if they'd like that publicity on the news. Once I'm on board, have tested negative to board, fully vaccinated, don't have a single symptom you can get lost because Joe Schmo four decks above has covid ..... Not my problem. If I was not feeling well and went to medical on my own and tested positive then that is different. I can guarantee you that on every cruise right now and the one I just got off of there were people that probably had covid with all the coughing I heard.  I also guarantee you that no one, and I mean no one, would go to medical to report their mild symptoms of what MIGHT be covid and risk quarantine and being thrown off the ship unless their life was in danger. No one would rush to medical to report congestion and some sneezing  and coughing.  They know what would happen to them. They would contribute to the air conditioning or going from hot to cold in and out.  They'd keep it quiet and mind their own for the remaining cruise days and get off and be gone..... truth . 

The problem with you plan is that if you are in a foreign country ...you will need a negative test result to be able to fly back to the states.

35 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I'm aware of the policy and it ends next month as you stated. Do they pay for all your meals during quarantine? Flight costs up front? Do they pay all expenses right away or after a family of four goes broke with credit cards maxed after day 9 of quarantine and meals all while waiting for payment from Celebrity months later? Which is it? 

You bring up a good point. At some point Celebrity's  free ride home will end. Which means only a total idiot would contemplate international travel without adequate insurance coverage., which exists. Or have the means to self insure. 

Travel today requires that extra care is taken; before and during the trip. And that may include extra testing of  close contacts when the need arises. And as was pointed out - refuse the test and you're  off the ship. And you aren't boarding any plane home without a negative test.

All reality here. The cruise lines don't want to contact trace you.  They don't want you coming to medical to report a headache, congestion, and the sniffles. They want to report as few cases of covid as possible and don't want the negative press. I saw tons of people coughing and whatever last week and the staff saw too but they are in no hurry to test r confront you on board. They would rather look the other way and get you off the boat the last day without issue or having to test and report positive cases to the CDC, future passengers, and the media. Chances of being contact traced and tested on the ship while fully vaccinated, no symptoms,  and with negative test result to board are very slim. That's the last thing the cruise lines want as it will only bring grief and issues for them . 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mom says said:

You bring up a good point. At some point Celebrity's  free ride home will end. Which means only a total idiot would contemplate international travel without adequate insurance coverage., which exists. Or have the means to self insure 

I always purchase travel insurance and did with this last cruise. Berkshire Hathaway Cruise care....... However, surely you are aware that  very very few if any policies at all cover covid quarantine unless medically necessary. This mean that if you test positive through contact tracing and you're asymptomatic travel insurance and your primary medical insurance isn't paying for anything if you're dumped in Jamaica....... truth. You have to be sick ....... 

Edited by tallnthensome

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

If you are contact traced and you refuse, you are getting off the ship at the next port. The only thing getting stuffed is your bags as you get booted off at your expense 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have an Amex Platinum which I get for free through my company as a customer (normally $695/yr). They include great trip interruption and medical evacuation insurance, as long as the trip is fully charged to the card.  As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but if doing a cruise you have to put the entire cruise or the flights or both to qualify.

I asked them, "If I use frequent flyer miles for one or both flights, put all of the taxes and fees on the Amex Platinum, and my GF and I put the cruise cost on 2 credit cards, split 50/50 are we covered?".  They said yes, as long as one or the other is 100% on their card.

Here's a story of a $275,000 Air Evacuation that Amex covered fully.  The guy bought flights for him and his father using frequent flyer miles and only put the fees and taxes on the Amex Platinum.  That move saved him a fortune.

Don't want to be cheap about things, but if my credit card can provide that coverage without having to spend hundreds for standalone insurance, I find that to be a good value.  Plus, I think they offer 5x reward points on things like flights and cruises, if memory serves.

Here's an article on the story referenced:
https://viewfromthewing.com/know-benefits-amex-platinum-medical-evacuation-claim-award-ticket-saves-275000/

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I don't often comment on a post like this but there are things in your post that are simply untrue. Celebrity is not going to dump you in some foreign port at your expense.  Before posting comments like this, please review ALL of the information readily available on Celebrity's website.  There is enough misinformation out there without spreading misinformation here on Cruise Critic.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10