Newbie question, truly indicative of a first world “problem” 🤣

chelseabelsea

1 hour ago, Sheltieluv said:

Yes, Genny Cream Ale is alive and kicking.  I live between Syracuse and Rochester NY, and it is readily available.  When we go south for the winter, we always have to take a supply to a friend who has relocated and can't find it anywhere.

I didn’t know it!  Put me down for a case please.  😊 

Z and TB

8 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Thunderbird was the swill of choice for us in high school. But I also remember Ripple and Boone's Farm. 

On Celebrity I usually gave away the "complimentary" bottle of bubbly to the cabin attendant to share with their friends. I would expect Regent's choice to be better.  I'll find out next year.

On Regent, getting caught with a marked bottle is instant termination. Cash is a nice gift 😉

On 9/9/2021 at 11:18 PM, chelseabelsea said:

Hi there! After a year and a half of worrying about Covid, now that I am triple vaxed, am happy to say I’ve started “worrying” about more mundane things…such as, what is the house champagne served on Splendor? (actually, anywhere on Regent, I’m assuming it’s the same selection)

. . . isn’t it wonderful to think of such things? Our first sailing is this November 🤞🏼 

The "House" champagne will vary based on what Regent/NCL gets a good deal on...same with the "house" wine. My advice is look at the wine list and pick something different every glass until you have a short list of your favorites. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

On Regent, getting caught with a marked bottle is instant termination. Cash is a nice gift 😉

That's good to know but I'm sure the crew is smart enough to know that and will have declined the offer in that case.  Then I'll just give it to some passenger we meet on the cruise who would enjoy it.

Is it a real Champagne or a sparkling wine?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

3 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

When you refer to Genny, do you mean Genessee Cream Ale?  I loved it. Too bad it’s no longer made.  
Z and TB

I am from upstate NY.  Genny Cream Ale is one of my favorites.  Have not had one in a very long time! I remember drinking them out of the green labeled barrel shaped bottles!

19 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

We have often taken the bottle(s) to reception and asked to have them donated to the crew bar ...to make it official. we have gotten a smile and a thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

That's good to know but I'm sure the crew is smart enough to know that and will have declined the offer in that case.  Then I'll just give it to some passenger we meet on the cruise who would enjoy it.

Is it a real Champagne or a sparkling wine?

To the best of my memory, it has always been champagne.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

When you refer to Genny, do you mean Genessee Cream Ale?  I loved it. Too bad it’s no longer made.  
Z and TB

I was referring to Genesee of any type, they made an excellent economical beer.  My brother loved the cream ale.  I never cared for Utica Club although we drank a lot of kegs of Matts in college.

I think Genesee is back as a specialty beer.   I grew up upstate NY and there was a time when 80% of the beer sold at the local supermarket was Genesee.  Loved the 10 cent drafts 😊.  

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Wine list from 2019 (3rd post), Champagne not on list.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2645719-current-explorer-complimentary-wine-list/

It’s not on the list because they only have one (included) champagne. There is also a Prosecco. Chance of getting champagne on your cruise is 100%.

• Like 1

My wife and I, not being Champagne snobs, drank whatever was offered in our room on embarkation day.  Then, I recently bought her a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for a notable birthday and I now feel my snob coming out.   

Has anyone ever requested that the presentation champagne be upgraded to VC?  [Cost aside] Would they entertain such a request?   Would it [could it?] end up with two bottles being delivered?; one VC and the other complimentary label?  We have 'Buku' OBC for our next cruise and it would be a small price for a huge impact to arrive to top shelf champagne.  

19 minutes ago, daetchief said:

My wife and I, not being Champagne snobs, drank whatever was offered in our room on embarkation day.  Then, I recently bought her a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for a notable birthday and I now feel my snob coming out.   

Has anyone ever requested that the presentation champagne be upgraded to VC?  [Cost aside] Would they entertain such a request?   Would it [could it?] end up with two bottles being delivered?; one VC and the other complimentary label?  We have 'Buku' OBC for our next cruise and it would be a small price for a huge impact to arrive to top shelf champagne.  

For the right price, you can order anything they have. lol  That's a good choice.  I happen to envoy Moet Chandon or Perrier Jouet which aren't too expensive alternatives  Taste is very subjective..

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:26 PM, Mudhen said:

Not sure if they still make Ripple.....I'd do that.....on ice!

You could take a page from the Fred Sanford playbook and mix it with Champagne - Champipple!

On 9/11/2021 at 7:39 AM, Sheltieluv said:

Let's not forget Boone's Farm, which cost the princely sum of $.99 a bottle back in my college days!

My landlady in Germany loved this stuff - I'd pick up the dusty bottles on the bottom shelf of the Class VI store and give them to her in exchange for some great Mosel wines.  Win-win.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:03 PM, pingpong1 said:

On "date night", If I wanted to "pull out all the stops" and impress that "special girl"....It was Andre' Cold Duck....and still (unbelievably) available to this day at your local "Total Wine" for a little over $5 Bucks a bottle...  🤪

Cold Duck was still miles better than Malt Duck, which was, I believe, also around $0.99 for a quart bottle, in whatever fruit flavor your date's heart desired...

On 9/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, darn88 said:

I am from upstate NY.  Genny Cream Ale is one of my favorites.  Have not had one in a very long time! I remember drinking them out of the green labeled barrel shaped bottles!

Were those different than the Mickey's Big Mouth bottles?  The Big Mouths were even more fun in the pre-screw top days when you had to pull that damn pull tab top.  After about your 8th one you couldn't open another without spilling it all over.

And I can't believe no one mentioned the infamous Everclear grain alcohol punch parties - Jungle Juice or Purple Jesus in trash cans full of fruit chunks (at least I HOPE it was fruit chunks).

These days I'll stick with a nice pour of a 34 year old Bowmore single malt, thank you very much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

You could take a page from the Fred Sanford playbook and mix it with Champagne - Champipple!

My landlady in Germany loved this stuff - I'd pick up the dusty bottles on the bottom shelf of the Class VI store and give them to her in exchange for some great Mosel wines.  Win-win.

Cold Duck was still miles better than Malt Duck, which was, I believe, also around $0.99 for a quart bottle, in whatever fruit flavor your date's heart desired...

Were those different than the Mickey's Big Mouth bottles?  The Big Mouths were even more fun in the pre-screw top days when you had to pull that damn pull tab top.  After about your 8th one you couldn't open another without spilling it all over.

And I can't believe no one mentioned the infamous Everclear grain alcohol punch parties - Jungle Juice or Purple Jesus in trash cans full of fruit chunks (at least I HOPE it was fruit chunks).

These days I'll stick with a nice pour of a 34 year old Bowmore single malt, thank you very much.

Bill: 

You just outlined my first seven years of College. It’s like a “This is Your Life” episode.  Thank you. 
Z and TB

OMG, you guys are killing my liver! Sloe Gin, Blue Nun, Lemon/Lime Vodka mixed with 7 Up, Schaefers XXX Pale Ale, Busch Beer ( from the land of sky blue waters), MD Party Punch. The list goes on as did my college mornings after. Fortunately, with age has come the appreciation of things higher up the scale.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:05 PM, Aloha 1 said:

OMG, you guys are killing my liver! Sloe Gin, Blue Nun, Lemon/Lime Vodka mixed with 7 Up, Schaefers XXX Pale Ale, Busch Beer ( from the land of sky blue waters), MD Party Punch. The list goes on as did my college mornings after. Fortunately, with age has come the appreciation of things higher up the scale.

Blue Nun - I'd forgotten that one (maybe some kind of self-preservation instinct kicking in?) - @Aloha 1, you're sure correct about moving higher up the scale - my stocks at home have moved from cases of Rolling Rock stacked up in the basement to a cabinet full of single-malt scotches that are in many cases older than my kids (and my kids are pushing 30).

Quality over quantity these days, that's for sure.  🙂 

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Blue Nun - I'd forgotten that one (maybe some kind of self-preservation instinct kicking in?) - @Aloha 1, you're sure correct about moving higher up the scale - my stocks at home have moved from cases of Rolling Rock stacked up in the basement to a cabinet full of single-malt scotches that are in many cases older than my kids (and my kids are pushing 30).

Quality over quantity these days, that's for sure.  🙂 

Roger that Bill!