Need your opinion? 22 days until cruise & complications

Ranyw

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy out there.  You guys are the closest thing I have to talking to family about cruises.

With that said, if you need a snickers bar, missed your fiber or otherwise irritable please move on.

With all of the rules in constant flux, kids and work I lost track of how close our cruise is.  I need your opinion on how to proceed.

We are a family of 4, me the wife, son (12) and daughter (8).  Guess where this is going?

I am fully vaccinated, the wife just got her first dose of Pfizer (9/9).  She obviously won’t be fully vaccinated by the cruise.  My daughter isn’t eligible for a shot.  My son is a bit complicated as we are waiting for his pediatrician to ok the shot due to complications.

I understand that they will allow up to 5% of passengers be unvaccinated.  According to my PVR my daughter would most likely fall into that category.  She wasn’t 100% sure about my son as he is 12 and if the requirement would apply to him or not.  She also mentioned that since they are not sailing at 100% the “5% group” would be smaller and the list will fill up quickly.

At the same time I understand that we couldn’t go ashore on our own anyways since the family is unvaccinated.

Personally I don’t mind staying on board and the kids always wanted to stay on board to enjoy the amenities with less lines.  The wife is on the fence.  

I understand that I am guaranteed to get 100% refund if I cancel.  But man, it’s been so long.  I don’t think I could reschedule for another cruise because my work schedule is in flux due to the pandemic.

Am I pushing too hard to go??  Should I just eat it and cancel?

-Ron

It appears your cruise is 10/02/2021. Have you filed for the exemptions? Your wife had her first dose on 9/09/21 and she should not get her second dose till around 9/30/2021. My understanding is she has to be fully vaccinated 14 days prior to the sail date, both doses. So it appears it is a no go for your wife unless they are giving exemptions for adults.

• Like 3

99.999% sure you will not get an exemption. Most ports aren't allowing ships to stop with anyone 12 or older that is not vaccinated. They aren't going to change itineraries for unvaxxed should. It is easier just to not give an exemption. Since you have 2 in that category it plummets even more. 

Not trying to sound mean, it is just the nature of the best right now. I would not expect to be on the cruise.  Carnival is not giving OBC if you can't meet the requirements. I don't know the refund policy, but you surely would get FCC.

Edited by BoozinCroozin

2 hours ago, Ranyw said:

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy out there.  You guys are the closest thing I have to talking to family about cruises.

With that said, if you need a snickers bar, missed your fiber or otherwise irritable please move on.

With all of the rules in constant flux, kids and work I lost track of how close our cruise is.  I need your opinion on how to proceed.

We are a family of 4, me the wife, son (12) and daughter (8).  Guess where this is going?

I am fully vaccinated, the wife just got her first dose of Pfizer (9/9).  She obviously won’t be fully vaccinated by the cruise.  My daughter isn’t eligible for a shot.  My son is a bit complicated as we are waiting for his pediatrician to ok the shot due to complications.

I understand that they will allow up to 5% of passengers be unvaccinated.  According to my PVR my daughter would most likely fall into that category.  She wasn’t 100% sure about my son as he is 12 and if the requirement would apply to him or not.  She also mentioned that since they are not sailing at 100% the “5% group” would be smaller and the list will fill up quickly.

At the same time I understand that we couldn’t go ashore on our own anyways since the family is unvaccinated.

Personally I don’t mind staying on board and the kids always wanted to stay on board to enjoy the amenities with less lines.  The wife is on the fence.  

I understand that I am guaranteed to get 100% refund if I cancel.  But man, it’s been so long.  I don’t think I could reschedule for another cruise because my work schedule is in flux due to the pandemic.

Am I pushing too hard to go??  Should I just eat it and cancel?

-Ron

Unvaccinated people ages 12 and over won't be allowed. I would reschedule the cruise until all 12 and older are vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have to look at your other expenses as well: flights, hotels, ground transportation, etc. None of this is covered by insurance if you can't cruise. Look at how much you may lose by delaying cancellation. Since you won't be on the cruise anyway, start all the processes now while you can 

All who are telling him to try for the exemption - Carnival changed their protocols.  NO exemptions for ages 12 and older unless you have a written doctor's form showing a medical reason why you cannot be vaccinated.    They are no longer allowing 5% to include 12 or older without that medical document.

You can get a full refund as the protocols for October have been announced and since you do not meet the requirements you will not be out money.

You don't even need to reschedule. They will give you your money back.

You might get OBC if you reschedule.

I had to call for my December cruise because of not being vaccinated and it was very easy.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone! 

thanks for taking the time to post a response.  I guess my question has been answered by carnival.  Here is a copy of the email I received a short while ago.  I hope it sheds light to anyone else in “my boat” (pun intended).

Dear Carnival Guest:

Thank you for your patience while we processed all bookings that required a vaccination exemption for your sailing.  

We have received a vaccine attestation and/or exemption request that indicates that either you, or a member of your traveling party, will not be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to sailing. As you know, exemptions are very limited and capacity-controlled based on the total number of vaccinated guests projected to be on your sailing.   Unfortunately, we have reached our limit and are not able to clear your booking to sail.  We sincerely apologize for this disappointing news. The reservation for all guests booked in your stateroom will be cancelled and a full refund will be processed to your original form of payment. 

We remain optimistic that requirements for cruising from the U.S. will continue to evolve and our approach to future sailings will become more flexible.  We hope you will consider rescheduling your cruise as we have ship itineraries open through 2024. To reschedule, please contact 1-800-CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your Travel Advisor. 

All of us at Carnival appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard in the future.

Sincerely,

Arlene Brown
Senior Director, Guest Care

• Like 3