Online Check-in Photo

Jenna

Is the photo that you take during check in used for anything other than internal on their part? Last time I was on a cruise was 2008 so there wasn’t all this then. 
I am only asking because my picture definitely isn’t the best, lol, and I think I would die if it is printed directly on my set sail pass. Does it come up when the crew scans it, like if I am buying something?

Thanks!

Let them take the picture at the terminal...most of the time the one you submit isn't good enough...so many don't bother doing it themselves. And yes these are the pictures that show up in conjunction with your SeaPass.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! I just realized that if I edit my check-in through the website instead of the app, I can actually choose a photo saved in my phone. So I replaced all our photos, lol. If they have to retake them, that’s fine! If not - at least it doesn’t look like the world’s worst drivers license photo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, Jenna said:

Thanks everyone! I just realized that if I edit my check-in through the website instead of the app, I can actually choose a photo saved in my phone. So I replaced all our photos, lol. If they have to retake them, that’s fine! If not - at least it doesn’t look like the world’s worst drivers license photo. 

So you were able to add/change the photo later? I’m checking in for my first Royal Caribbean cruise and got to the photo but didn’t know if that’s something I can only do now at check in and couldn’t go back to it. 

You can use the Phone App to snap a photo or the online Web check in where you can "upload" your photo. Or you can wait until you check in where they will take your photo. 

The photo is displayed/used not only for security match when you get on or off the ship, but your photo comes up on the POS screens when you purchase something, i.e. Cafe Promenade...

On 9/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, UKWLDCruise said:

Even if you do add your own photo they will more than likely take another when you check in

Yes this was my experience on Freedom back in Sept.  I guess the photo I uploaded was a "younger" version of me and they wanted the "older" real version LOL

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses that followed my question, but they weren't about what I was asking. So I will clarify. My apologies.

Can I complete check-in and skip the photo upload for now until I can take the picture in the conditions they require (plain background, etc)? Or can I only upload the photo during the online check-in, and cannot go back to upload later?

The question is regardless of whether they decide later to retake my picture themselves at the terminal. If they want to see my dazzling smile in person for real again at the terminal, go for it.

52 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

Thank you for the responses that followed my question, but they weren't about what I was asking. So I will clarify. My apologies.

Can I complete check-in and skip the photo upload for now until I can take the picture in the conditions they require (plain background, etc)? Or can I only upload the photo during the online check-in, and cannot go back to upload later?

The question is regardless of whether they decide later to retake my picture themselves at the terminal. If they want to see my dazzling smile in person for real again at the terminal, go for it.

Before this pesky pandemic, on one of my Harmony cruises I uploaded a photo and printed out my Set Sail pass.  I called to ask if I could change the photo and if I had to print out another Set Sail pass and the CS rep said no there would be no problem so I uploaded a new photo and didn't reprint the SS pass.  WRONG answer -- when I showed up at the pier the computer lit up like a Christmas tree and in neon colors was a BOARDING DENIED message.  I thought I had committed a crime I didn't know about.  They then explained that the new photo required a reprint of the SS pass.  So if you upload another photo to swap out the original one make sure you reprint the SS pass.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserLucas said:

Yes, you can skip it now and go back to it when you are ready.

Sherri🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Before this pesky pandemic, on one of my Harmony cruises I uploaded a photo and printed out my Set Sail pass.  I called to ask if I could change the photo and if I had to print out another Set Sail pass and the CS rep said no there would be no problem so I uploaded a new photo and didn't reprint the SS pass.  WRONG answer -- when I showed up at the pier the computer lit up like a Christmas tree and in neon colors was a BOARDING DENIED message.  I thought I had committed a crime I didn't know about.  They then explained that the new photo required a reprint of the SS pass.  So if you upload another photo to swap out the original one make sure you reprint the SS pass.  

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Yes, you can skip it now and go back to it when you are ready.

Sherri🙂

Thank you very much!!! 

Royal Caribbean cruise contract dated October 2021, page 7.

15. USE OF PHOTOS, VIDEOS OR RECORDINGS:
a. Guest hereby grants to Carrier (and its assignees and licensees) the exclusive right throughout the universe and in perpetuity to include photographic, video, audio
and other visual or audio portrayals of Passenger taken during or in connection with the Cruise or CruiseTour;(including any images, likenesses or voices) in any medium
of any nature whatsoever (including the right to edit, combine with other materials or create any type of derivative thereof) for the purpose of trade, advertising, sales,
publicity, promotional, training or otherwise, without compensation to the Guest. Such grant shall include the unrestricted right to copy, revise, distribute, display and
sell photographs, images, films, tapes, drawings or recordings in any type of media (including but not limited to the Internet). Guest hereby agrees that all rights, title
and interest therein (including all worldwide copyrights therein) shall be Carrier’s sole property, free from any claims by Passenger or any person deriving any rights or
interest from Passenger.

Hmmm.   So... the only exclusion and potential for having a successful court case against Royal Caribbean against the use of your likeness is if the Marvel Multiverse is real and they use your likeness in an alternate universe.  They are only claiming rights to a single universe.

• Haha 1