Buyer Beware on Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit

cruzin4us

1 hour ago, cacruiser54 said:

Yes, do NOT purchase if labeled OTC. Those are not monitored by EMed and are not acceptable.

cacruiser54…

Here’s the link from Abbott Labs to explain the proctored test.  Ag card.

https://www.globalpointofcare.abbott/en/product-details/binaxnow-covid-19-home-test-us.html

20 hours ago, trey420 said:

What do you show the cruise line when you use this do you have to print or can you show from phone?

You can show either the printed email with your results or the QR code thing that is sent to your phone.  Either works.  I'm taking both just to be on the safe side.

4 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

A word of caution: My husband took the proctored test last week and there was no liquid in the vial. Fortunately, we had an extra test. They had to start the registration all over again with the new box. So, order an extra box.

This is happening quite often now.  I wonder if it’s  because these tests are nearing expiration?  Has anyone notified

Abbott and emed?

1 hour ago, DiRonT said:

Trying to order 3pack now from Optum store (link from Princess website) and it only asks for info from 1 person - will both me and dh be able to use tests?

Yes, you will. I emailed them and they confirmed this. Both of you will need to set up a profile in the Navica app. When you go to Emed to do the test, you'll each log in with your Navica credentials.

3 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Yes, you will. I emailed them and they confirmed this. Both of you will need to set up a profile in the Navica app. When you go to Emed to do the test, you'll each log in with your Navica credentials.

Perfect - thanks so much.  Appreciate your posts and quick responses.  You always seem to have the answers to my questions.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, manunia said:

yes, there are 2 types of of BinaxNow test: one with supervision and one that is without it. the one with supervision from emed has name BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag test; the second one is sold with name COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test at Home Kit, it has OTC letters on the box

Thank you so much for this info!  We were so confused but this has cleared it up for our upcoming cruises!

Thanks everyone SO much for the warning about the expiration dates.

We have a Jan 31 cruise and I was planning on ordering these tests soon, just to be safe.  

Now I know not to.  

Your experience(s) potentially saved us $150 and I really appreciate it!

I bought 6 test kits of BinaxNOW (the proctored / attended testing).  Because the expiration date was before my first cruise next year, I gave all of them to my son to use, since he and his fiancee, and her son in college will have a need to use them before the end of the year. 

My son downloaded the app to his phone, went in to do the test, gave the identification information on the test box, and it just sent him to emed's web site to register it under his name.  

He has now taken 2 (maybe 3) tests with no problem and had results in less than 15 minutes, both on the app and in his email.  

The proctor is located anywhere in the world, so it's obvious that emed has contracted with medical labs all over to ensure 24 hour response to testing calls.

We just bought a new supply with my son paying this time.  We needed 10 kits for the 4 of us.  We bought a 6 pack, and 2@2 pack.  Optum.com is the online sales source, and they offer the 2 and 3 packs.  Buying through the app, Navica, from your phone gets you the 6 pack.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some people who will be cruising soon haven't read up on Home test kit & the differences.

I just did the Abbott Binax Covid AG test kit, and had an Empty bottle.

A few folks have already mentioned this, so have a backup test kit in case you do.

Testing Monitor took note of my test kit, and I Think I will get a refund, but not positive.

That test was ended and I had to call back & start over with new test kit.

Glad I bought the 6 pack from Emed.  Can also get a 2 pack from Optum.

11 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Some people who will be cruising soon haven't read up on Home test kit & the differences.

I just did the Abbott Binax Covid AG test kit, and had an Empty bottle.

A few folks have already mentioned this, so have a backup test kit in case you do.

Testing Monitor took note of my test kit, and I Think I will get a refund, but not positive.

That test was ended and I had to call back & start over with new test kit.

Glad I bought the 6 pack from Emed.  Can also get a 2 pack from Optum.

EXACTLY!

This is  why they recommend 2 per person 🙂 Happy that you had the back ups

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, cruzin4us said:

If you are opting to purchase the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit for your upcoming cruise(s) please beware of a couple of things:

I have 3 cruises booked:  October 2021, April 2022 and November 2022.  I thought "Cool", I can use these for all 3 cruises....NOPE.    The company is very vague when it comes to telling you how long the tests are good for.  In their FAQ's, they have a letter from the FDA stating the kits have been approved for a 12 month shelf life from the date of manufacture.  WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU is the kits were manufactured in January 2021.  Meaning any cruise planned for after January 5, 2022 the kits won't work.

I purchased my 6 kits on Sept. 2nd, and the kits arrived a few days later.  Upon opening the kits I saw the expiration date was Oct. 5, 2021 so I called EMED and was told that all their kits were made in the first part of 2021 and all the kits are expiring January 5, 2022.  So, if you are planning a trip anytime after that date, the current supply of the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit won't be valid.  Of course if you are cruising before that date, then you are all good.

The 2nd thing:  They only allow you to put 3 names down to use the kits.  There are 4 of us cruising (not all are going every cruise).  So, I just put my name down thinking I could add the other people when we took the test.... That's a big fat NO.   So, don't assume you can buy 6 of the kits and use them willy nilly, or for whomever you want, whenever you want.   They were VERY unclear about this when you order.    Again, I called about this and was told that if I didn't sign everyone up when I purchased, then no one else could use them but me.

Let me add too:   I tried calling BEFORE I purchased the kits because I had questions but I was put on hold for 45 minutes so I hung up.   So, I'll take ownership on this part.

Just be informed before you buy.

Hopefully testing will not be required for fully vaccinated passengers after the first of the year.  Most public venues are adopting: Test or show proof of vaccination.  

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:17 AM, PacnGoNow said:

This is happening quite often now.  I wonder if it’s  because these tests are nearing expiration?  Has anyone notified

Abbott and emed?

I wonder if folks are getting a rebate for useless test kits.

8 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Be careful!  This does not look like a proctored test.  Looks like an otc

test.  Only Proctored tests are acceptable on the cruiselines.

I don't need a proctored test. I plan on doing a non required home self test prior to flying to the UK for our next cruise for peace of mind. The UK recently dropped the requirement to have a Covid test prior to departure. All of the non proctored home self tests, including the Binax NOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test require two tests spaced 36 hours apart. I would rather do a single test shortly before leaving for the airport. The Flowflex test is the only self test that does that. Currently, it is only available in the UK, but should be available in US stores shortly. When I arrive at the ship in the UK, Princess will provide the Covid test. Also, since I will be in the UK two days before the cruise, I will be paying for a PCR test. Again, I just want a little more assurance before boarding an airplane to the UK.

Before we sailed on our September Alaska cruise, we got an Anigen Covid test at our local CVS store 3 days prior to the cruise. CVS is no longer providing that test within the area. If it was required to fly I would have bought a proctored test.

33 minutes ago, billco said:

I don't need a proctored test. I plan on doing a non required home self test prior to flying to the UK for our next cruise for peace of mind. The UK recently dropped the requirement to have a Covid test prior to departure. All of the non proctored home self tests, including the Binax NOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test require two tests spaced 36 hours apart. I would rather do a single test shortly before leaving for the airport. The Flowflex test is the only self test that does that. Currently, it is only available in the UK, but should be available in US stores shortly. When I arrive at the ship in the UK, Princess will provide the Covid test. Also, since I will be in the UK two days before the cruise, I will be paying for a PCR test. Again, I just want a little more assurance before boarding an airplane to the UK.

Before we sailed on our September Alaska cruise, we got an Anigen Covid test at our local CVS store 3 days prior to the cruise. CVS is no longer providing that test within the area. If it was required to fly I would have bought a proctored test.

Got it!  Had no idea you were doing this test for peace of mind.  Just didn’t want those thinking it was a proctored test

for the cruiselines.

Thanks for explaining.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 3:50 AM, Steelers36 said:

I wonder if folks are getting a rebate for useless test kits.

Yes,  the first kit I used mid-test had an empty liquid.  The Proctor asked for the box info, Lot #.

Then I had to call back & start over with another test kit, new proctor.

Next day I rec'd an email from Emed, then sent me a new 6 pack of test kits.

Replaced the 6 box for free.  Took a few days to arrive.  Nice, I wasn't expecting full replacement.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Yes,  the first kit I used mid-test had an empty liquid.  The Proctor asked for the box info, Lot #.

Then I had to call back & start over with another test kit, new proctor.

Next day I rec'd an email from Emed, then sent me a new 6 pack of test kits.

Replaced the 6 box for free.  Took a few days to arrive.  Nice, I wasn't expecting full replacement.

But what good does it when you are testing two does before boarding and have no alternative 

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

huh?

Memoak was saying that if you find the test has a problem when you try to use it two days before the cruise, then having replacement tests shipped to you will do no good as they will not arrive in time.

5 hours ago, memoak said:

But what good does it when you are testing two does before boarding and have no alternative 

They recommend 2 per person. Each pack of 2 is meant for one person.

Edited by Jadn13