Best Carnival Offered Excursion for Cozumel

bobbismith

12 hours ago, bobbismith said:

I would like opinions from those that have cruised since the restart on Carnival cruise excursions in Belize and Cozumel. 

TIA,

Bobbi

I haven't been to either of the ports since the restart but since nobody else is answering maybe I can help some. It may depend on what you like. I like Mayan ruins so in Belize I did the Lamanai excursion. In December and March I hope to do Altun Ha and Xunantunich. 

For Cozumel I've done the Atlantis Submarine Excursion which I enjoyed. A big one I always wanted to do for Mayan Ruins was  Tulum but I did those from a Mexican resort this summer. If you're open to a non-carnival excursion definitely give the Cozumel Barhop people a chance it's the best way to see the east side of the island which you have to do if you haven't been over there.

• Like 1

We just got back from Mardi Gras and did the "Elite Champagne Catamaran and Snorkel". It was great. One of the women that works in the Adventure Excursion shop was on there with us and she said it's her favorite. It's nice even if you don't like to snorkel. On the 2nd water stop they put out paddle boards and floaties. Really nice time and yummy food. I love champagne but they had all kinds of drinks.

• Like 2

I can say, definitively, the best/most unique shore excursion in Cozumel is Tabasco Chef Maestro. 

It's a Carnival exclusive excursion; no other lines offer it and you can't book independently. The venue is spectacular. It's the top floor of a dolphin swim complex for tourists, in a space that was initially constructed as a port lounge for cruise ship crew. When that idea was nixed, Chef Louis retrofitted the space to a cooking class venue. 

You start making lunch in an indoor, air-conditioned space: ceviche, chile relleno, and a flambé caramelized apple taco. During this time, you get unlimited drinks: beers, margaritas, etc. After the cooking class, you head outside to the bar/dining area to eat. Before eating, the team demos how to make a pineapple frozen margarita, and everyone drinks more. Finally, after eating, you can hang out at the venue as long as you want: they have an infinity pool and the open bar stays open. Transportation back to the ship is by individual taxi (not one big shuttle,) so people can head back whenever they're done.

The excursion is so much fun (and such a great value) that one couple on our recent Vista cruise was there for the fourth time. I don't know that I'd go back THAT often, but it's absolutely one the best excursions I've ever done. It's great alternative to the typical Cozumel experiences, and only available on Carnival.

https://www.tabascochefmaestro.com/home/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There are SO many things to do in Cozumel you're gonna' get at least twenty different answers.  We were  in Cozumel on the Dream a few years ago and went to the Mayan ruins at Tulum and thoroughly enjoyed it.  On the ferry boat ride back from the mainland we talked to someone who'd done the Hidden River tubing, they said it was great.  So there's two suggestions.

Cozumel is one of the places where there are so many different things to do that you won't mind going back again and again.  We've got several cruises booked through the end of next year and will be stopping in Cozumel three times.

5 minutes ago, groundloop said:

We were  in Cozumel on the Dream a few years ago and went to the Mayan ruins at Tulum and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

As far as I know, Carnival isn't running any excursions through Playa Del Carmen right now. Tulum/Chichen Itza/anything via ferry to the mainland are a no-go during COVID. 

22 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I haven't been to either of the ports since the restart but since nobody else is answering maybe I can help some. It may depend on what you like. I like Mayan ruins so in Belize I did the Lamanai excursion. In December and March I hope to do Altun Ha and Xunantunich. 

For Cozumel I've done the Atlantis Submarine Excursion which I enjoyed. A big one I always wanted to do for Mayan Ruins was  Tulum but I did those from a Mexican resort this summer. If you're open to a non-carnival excursion definitely give the Cozumel Barhop people a chance it's the best way to see the east side of the island which you have to do if you haven't been over there.

I also did the Cozumel Atlantis Sub Excursion.  I have done several and I was surprised at how much better this one was.  

• Like 1

Yes so many things to do in Coz...I for one always go to Mr. Sanchoes. An all inclusive for the Day with unlimited Drinks, great food, swim up bars, a beach..etc. Of course you really don't get to see the Island, but it is a great place to relax, eat and drink. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

As far as I know, Carnival isn't running any excursions through Playa Del Carmen right now. Tulum/Chichen Itza/anything via ferry to the mainland are a no-go during COVID. 

Hmmmm..... Those excursions are showing up for our November cruise.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Hmmmm..... Those excursions are showing up for our November cruise.

Maybe they'll be up and running soon? On the Vista in July, shoreex was clear with us that the mainland was off-limits for any ship-sponsored tours. When we docked, you could see the ferries tied up on both the Carnival and Royal piers, with nowhere to go. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 8:02 AM, AstoriaPreppy said:

I can say, definitively, the best/most unique shore excursion in Cozumel is Tabasco Chef Maestro. 

It's a Carnival exclusive excursion; no other lines offer it and you can't book independently. The venue is spectacular. It's the top floor of a dolphin swim complex for tourists, in a space that was initially constructed as a port lounge for cruise ship crew. When that idea was nixed, Chef Louis retrofitted the space to a cooking class venue. 

You start making lunch in an indoor, air-conditioned space: ceviche, chile relleno, and a flambé caramelized apple taco. During this time, you get unlimited drinks: beers, margaritas, etc. After the cooking class, you head outside to the bar/dining area to eat. Before eating, the team demos how to make a pineapple frozen margarita, and everyone drinks more. Finally, after eating, you can hang out at the venue as long as you want: they have an infinity pool and the open bar stays open. Transportation back to the ship is by individual taxi (not one big shuttle,) so people can head back whenever they're done.

The excursion is so much fun (and such a great value) that one couple on our recent Vista cruise was there for the fourth time. I don't know that I'd go back THAT often, but it's absolutely one the best excursions I've ever done. It's great alternative to the typical Cozumel experiences, and only available on Carnival.

How do you think this would be for a solo cruiser? Were the workstations like couples? Or more afterwards with the pool time and going back to the ship? What was the general age make up of the group? 

On 9/13/2021 at 10:13 AM, Saint Greg said:

Haven't done the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus since January 2020, but it's my favorite excursion! I've been on it 4 times!  It's not a busload of drunks, it's all ages of fun people. Most impressive is the eastern side of the island with white sand beaches, big waves crashing on the large rocks. You go to four different bars, get a free shot (of liquor!) then you can sit in the bar and order whatever food or drink you want, or go to the beach where tables and chairs are set up and hammocks. You spend about 45 minutes at each stop. No electricity so credit cards can't be used. At the last bar be sure to try the Peanut Butter Tequila. Sounds gross but it is fantastic! Nice air conditioned bus, the tour guide is great - nice woman originally from Canada, has lived in Cozumel over 20 years. www.cozumelbarhop.com

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rtrtx2 said:

How do you think this would be for a solo cruiser? Were the workstations like couples? Or more afterwards with the pool time and going back to the ship? What was the general age make up of the group? 

The cooking stations are set up for pairs, so it's likely that on a sold out excursion, you'd be partnered with someone to cook. On our excursion, there was one solo passenger. He was paired with the other solo person, who was a Carnival shoreex employee testing out the excursion. I'm not sure if a member of shore ex normally steps in with a solo cruiser, but it worked... he seemed to hav a great time. The age range was diverse, from 20 somethings in larger family groups to older couples in their 70s. 

It's a very social experience all around, especially afterwards when everyone is eating and chatting. My sister and I ended up eating with the Grandmother from a larger family group, and the solo passenger. Carnival passengers tend to be pretty social, so it helps make the entire experience a lot more fun.

Since the transportation is by private taxi coordinated by the excursion, It's also very flexible. If you decide you want to hang out at the pool for a while after lunch, while everyone else leaves, you're able to do that.

18 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

Haven't done the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus since January 2020, but it's my favorite excursion! I've been on it 4 times!  It's not a busload of drunks, it's all ages of fun people. Most impressive is the eastern side of the island with white sand beaches, big waves crashing on the large rocks. You go to four different bars, get a free shot (of liquor!) then you can sit in the bar and order whatever food or drink you want, or go to the beach where tables and chairs are set up and hammocks. You spend about 45 minutes at each stop. No electricity so credit cards can't be used. At the last bar be sure to try the Peanut Butter Tequila. Sounds gross but it is fantastic! Nice air conditioned bus, the tour guide is great - nice woman originally from Canada, has lived in Cozumel over 20 years. www.cozumelbarhop.com

This must be new. When did Carnival begin offering this excursion? Is there an age limit?

1 hour ago, AHS123 said:

This must be new. When did Carnival begin offering this excursion? Is there an age limit?

It is not a Carnival excursion, we try to avoid those as they are usually very crowded. I don't know if there's an age limit, but doubt that young children would enjoy this. You can check their website.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, AstoriaPreppy said:

Man you got me looking for cruises to Cozumel now.  (Not a hard thing to find lol).  We went to the Mayan ruins in Tulum the first time we were in Cozumel and that was fantastic but this sounds like my kinda fun.

OP - If you go cave-tubing in Belize I highly Recommend Butts-Up cave tubing.  It's not a carnival excursion but there are similar ones available through carnival but Butts-Up is just all around better in my opinion.  Cheaper than Carnival's version and a longer ride on the river and an included lunch (though not included booze - they had beer and frozen cocktails when we were there for purchase and very reasonable) and they did all the heavy lifting.  It was a pretty long walk through the forest up to the entry point into the river but their guys carried the tubes and, even though we were dead last, my wife and I who were in our 50s and out of shape at the time managed to do it.  The pay-off of getting in that sweet, cool water and floating back down through caves and jungle was well worth the hike.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:51 AM, MikeACY said:

Yes so many things to do in Coz...I for one always go to Mr. Sanchoes. An all inclusive for the Day with unlimited Drinks, great food, swim up bars, a beach..etc. Of course you really don't get to see the Island, but it is a great place to relax, eat and drink. 

I've been to Cozumel MANY times, and done may different excursions.   My favorite by far is Mr. Sanchos....so many things to do there such as horseback riding, on the beach massages, water toys, parasailing, shopping, etc.  Love the unlimited drinks, food, swim up bars, multiple pools.  Would do this again and again.  

• Like 1