Nassau vs Cocoa Cay

abpplh

We are on the Allure for Christmas this year - Dec 23-30th.  Currently, the itinerary is

12/24 - Nassau

12/25 - Sea Day

12/26 - St Thomas

12/27 - St Kitts

12/28 - Sea day

12/29 - Sea Day

Has anyone had them change Nassau to Cocoa Cay?  Just wondering what makes them choose to do Nassau over CC.   I would much rather go to CC  - we will most likely stay onboard that day.

Thanks!

According to two different cruise port schedules, both the Symphony and Mariner are to be at Coco Cay on December 24th. 

As for the actual scheduling, someone has to go to Nassau. I assume they have some sort of passenger/revenue agreement with the port and how many ships they’ll have docking there during any specific timeframe? 

3 minutes ago, matt1 said:

According to two different cruise port schedules, both the Symphony and Mariner are to be at Coco Cay on December 24th. 

As for the actual scheduling, someone has to go to Nassau. I assume they have some sort of passenger/revenue agreement with the port and how many ships they’ll have docking there during any specific timeframe? 

@matt1 where do you find that?

10 hours ago, matt1 said:

Nassau has the opposite problem. The port has been demolished and is in the process of being rebuilt. They can only have a few ships in port at a time. The old Festival Place is gone.

In the photo below (taken yesterday), the construction workers have scrape a path to allow passengers to get off the dock,,, which does not conducive to passengers with disabilities. All of the machinery (jackhammering shooting rocks) were operating a few feet from passengers. We were turned away on Saturday because there were no berths open. Yesterday, the Celebrity Edge, Freedom of the Seas, and Odyssey of the Seas were in port. 

image.thumb.png.3ce0223873ba7df8d8fb2af5820afe05.png

• Thanks 1

I’ll be there December 9th (86 days from now), hopefully they’ll have some of that completed so that those passengers who choose to explore Nassau won’t have to contend with the construction noise and mess. As for me, I have zero plans to disembark. Hopefully we’ll get turned away as well, but there are only three ships scheduled to dock that day so I’m sure we’ll be docking. Either way, I’m sure I can find something to do on Anthem

• Like 1

We have been to Nassau multiple times.  I also wouldn't get off the ship unless I wanted to shop.  Paradise Island overpriced and the beach was disappointing.  CC is really nice.  You can reserve the beach club for the day have a wonderful space to relax and an upgraded lunch.  You do pay a fee-but IMO well worth it for a special day.  Also, in Nassau, I would be concerned with interfacing with people who may not have been vaccinated or tested recently for covid.

11 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I would rather go to Nassau.

That way you are not trapped in an RC monopoly.

With all the over-priced activities and excursion...

Beach and food is free, swimming pool is free.  What would you do, in Nassau that is so exciting over their island.  Remember, the water park, jetski, zip line and balloon is extra and if you have kids, they have a blast. So if you are in Nassau, you either walk around and shop, or go on an overpriced excursion, either on your own, or with the ship......same thing. If you stay on the ship, it is the same things as sitting by a GIANT pool on the island.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Nassau has the opposite problem. The port has been demolished and is in the process of being rebuilt. They can only have a few ships in port at a time. The old Festival Place is gone.

In the photo below (taken yesterday), the construction workers have scrape a path to allow passengers to get off the dock,,, which does not conducive to passengers with disabilities. All of the machinery (jackhammering shooting rocks) were operating a few feet from passengers. We were turned away on Saturday because there were no berths open. Yesterday, the Celebrity Edge, Freedom of the Seas, and Odyssey of the Seas were in port. 

image.thumb.png.3ce0223873ba7df8d8fb2af5820afe05.png

No port is great for disabilities......however having a disabled wife, the port was not an issue, and neither was Nassau.  People that are disabled either choose to cry, or to adapt and accept.  Just remember that statement

Were there many shops and restaurants open in Nassau by the port?  We were only planning on getting off the ship to walk around a bit before returning to the ship.  We aren't beach people so that isn't an option.  We'd just as soon go back to the ship and enjoy it with even less people onboard.

20 hours ago, Moltar said:

I love Blue Lagoon in Nassau. Nice hidden nook I found there that doesn't get crowded and stays quiet. I would consider Blue Lagoon in Nassau.

Yes we love Blue Lagoon too.     Discovered it about 5 years ago and love visiting the dolphins, sting rays, sea turtles, etc as well as a nice relaxing day at their beach.    

9 hours ago, Teeara said:

Were there many shops and restaurants open in Nassau by the port?  We were only planning on getting off the ship to walk around a bit before returning to the ship.  We aren't beach people so that isn't an option.  We'd just as soon go back to the ship and enjoy it with even less people onboard.

I heard from a couple people last week that Nassau was like a ghost town with very little that is open as far as shops or bars/restaurants.  Maybe more will be open by the time you get there.

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I heard from a couple people last week that Nassau was like a ghost town with very little that is open as far as shops or bars/restaurants.  Maybe more will be open by the time you get there.

I was looking on Google Maps and it seems that a lot of the stores aren't there anymore.  So sad.  I did see some listed with current hours.  We still plan on spending most of the day onboard the ship so I'm not too worried.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h18furball said:

Just got back from Nassau this past weekend.  Very disappointing.  Construction everywhere, hassled by all the locals.  3/4 of the shops are empty.  We ventured 3-4 blocks away, then turned around and headed back.  Did not feel safe.

This is starting to confirm my idea that we should just get a day pass for either Aquaventure or an all inclusive resort like RIU.  My reluctance on Aquaventure is that I have been reading some slides and other attractions are still not open.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, cruizzing said:

Were you notified ahead of time that you weren't going, or turned away day of? 

Yes. The changed the itinerary a free weeks before cruise. That messed up all of the shore ex. 

It was a great gimmick. Cancel the shore ex (booked at a pre-cruise 35% discount) with a letter in your stateroom and ask full price to book another. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 9/14/2021 at 5:43 AM, matt1 said:

I’ll be there December 9th (86 days from now), hopefully they’ll have some of that completed so that those passengers who choose to explore Nassau won’t have to contend with the construction noise and mess. As for me, I have zero plans to disembark. Hopefully we’ll get turned away as well, but there are only three ships scheduled to dock that day so I’m sure we’ll be docking. Either way, I’m sure I can find something to do on Anthem

We sailed from Nassau in June. The port construction has not made any progress. If you look at my picture from last weekend, they are rebuilding and extending a dock with one front loader, one bobcat, and a jackhammer. 

• Thanks 1