Restrictions in Italy

Englishjacq

We are cruising Azamara on 19 October out of Trieste.  We received an email this am saying that Italy only allows approved tours and that you cannot independently disembark the ship in Italy.   I couldn’t see where it was an Azamara policy. My husband and I are EU residents with EU vaccines and are able to travel throughout the EU with few restrictions. We have to complete the Italian PLF but then we are free to travel in Italy. Are there any other EU residents taking this same cruise and have already asked the question: are we free to disembark independently in Italy?

11 minutes ago, Trekbookshep said:

Our TA confirmed that the restrictions are port authority restrictions that Azamara is implementing. Not the Italian government. So only can get off ship with Azamara shore excursion. Presumably Azamara will offer the rapid test for those going ashore. 

I am sure Azamara will do whatever is required of them by the authorities in connection with any guest going ashore.  They also will need to be able to respond to changes as the authorities can be very fickle and change their views almost overnight.  We know that from many countries in the world even pre pandemic days.  Its outwith Azamara's control.

Who knows whether it includes rapid testing or not.  If its needed they will do it but there is no presumption anywhere these days 🙂 

I think we have to recognise this is what is happening and make the best of it.  Our own experience in Greece the ships excursions were much better than we have experienced in the past so are still an option.  We were fortunate enough to be allowed ashore but we had previously been on an MSC cruise round UK where despite being fully vaccinated UK citizens we could only go ashore on excursions.  Its the port rules and that it.......

I know they were doing all they could to have the most liberal rules for guests in relation to going ashore.

By the way the crew have not been allowed ashore since they embarked in Glasgow - they got a small perk in Athens on Saturday when the authorities allowed them into the duty free shops in the terminal for a very short period mid morning.  Can you imagine what that must be like for them!

• Like 3

AH, the plot thickens! The local bureaucrats are making the decisions, NOT the government. The Port Authority in Rome isn't the same one as in Brindisi, or Venice, or Ancona! Now reading the fine print that Azamara just posted on their web site shows significant wiggle room: " We offer a variety of curated small-group and private excursions that comply with Azamara’s health and safety measures.  Our shore excursions are available to book on-line or through one of our Destination Insiders who can create a customized Private Journey for you."   Let's let the dust settle, we've got a long way to go before this matter is resolved.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr H said:

or through one of our Destination Insiders who can create a customized Private Journey for you

But - how do you contact one of these "Destination Insiders"?

I have until mid-October to cancel my tours, so I have time to wait. Not sure how much energy I want to expand contacting a Destination Insider to create a tour similar to the one I "might" have to cancel.

My only very minor comment is that there are only seven Azamara excursions available, and all but two are on-your-own. Not sure how they can do on-your-own when the fine print also says, "You may be denied re-boarding or may be debarked from your cruise if you leave your tour group for any reason." 😕

Going to just sit tight and wait to see what happens - six+ weeks to go, lots can still change!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Englishjacq said:

We are cruising Azamara on 19 October out of Trieste.  We received an email this am saying that Italy only allows approved tours and that you cannot independently disembark the ship in Italy.   I couldn’t see where it was an Azamara policy. My husband and I are EU residents with EU vaccines and are able to travel throughout the EU with few restrictions. We have to complete the Italian PLF but then we are free to travel in Italy. Are there any other EU residents taking this same cruise and have already asked the question: are we free to disembark independently in Italy?

Howdy @Englishjacq and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards! emo22.gif

Thank you emo49.gif for your first new thread titled EU Residents Cruising in Europe on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum for technical assistance in using these message boards. However, it is off-topic in this forum. emo34.gif

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Azamara forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed or will be sailing Asamara frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

As for any other EU residents taking this same cruise, I want to let you know the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, someone there may have had the same question answered and can help you. However, you do not mention your ship's name so I cannot merge your new thread into your Roll Call thread if one has already been established.

Also, the Roll Call thread for your cruise is the only place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other to 💲ave money. That is ... if COVID-19 protocol allows by then. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on with more posts back and forth to get to know the other thread members and allow them to get to know you first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls. emo34.gif

To explain our Roll Calls and finding the Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. We also have a Cruise Critic article you might find helpful too: 8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo34.gif See How To: Submit a Member Review.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. So glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Thanks 1

This is interesting as I contacted the Italian embassy and they stated that they have no such restrictions in place at a national level. If individual port authorities have been in contact with Azamara this seems strange. I will try and make contact with the port authorities.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Englishjacq said:

Englishjacq, thanks for posting this and raising yet another unanswered question, I will await the answers that are share with interest.

It is especially relevant as I was about to book a Spanish cruise on Quest a similar situation has arisen.

If push comes to shove I can use my spare EU (Irish) passport and claim my European rights.

16 hours ago, Englishjacq said:

That's life at the moment due to Covid. What is in place today may well not be the same tomorrow anywhere in the world. Azamara is bound by the regulations in place at any given port.

On the first two cruises around the Greek Islands passengers were free to explore on their own.

It seems that now Italy has placed a ban on cruise ship passengers other than on closely controlled ship arranged tours.

Ship tour participant numbers are much smaller than in the past, however, you may well be able to have a private or small group tour arranged by the Concierge which would meet the Italian requirements. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Additional :

I have just found there is another thread on this subject "Azamara Italy Restrictions."

@Host Kat  Perhaps the two could be joined?

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 3

614a6d1773046058224607.gif.9f647182d0cf131cc1cd4bb70864e8e4.gif

Something else to ponder - the day before we arrive in Livorno, ALL passengers will have had a negative COVID test in order to board, and be fully vaccinated. Right? So why would a Port Authority restrict a small ship (say around 300 passengers) who are fully vaccinated and have a negative test?

Sitting back waiting to see how this all pans out.....

42 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

I have just found there is another thread on this subject "Azamara Italy Restrictions."

@Host Kat  Perhaps the two could be joined?

Ta daa!  emo49.gif

Threads merged. Per the Cruise Critic software all posts now appear in post date/time order on this merged thread.

• Like 1

Seems like merging the two was a good move, but if there is a way to change the heading it might be helpful. It’s easy to miss the small print on the forum announcing the merger and those from the U.S. may not realize that ‘EU Residents Cruising in Europe’ addresses the Italy issue we’re all concerned about.

On my November, Journey cruise, there’s only one Italy port -Livorno- after embarking in Rome. Considering the new restrictions, there aren’t a lot of excursion options. I’m wondering if that will change and about restrictions in Spain now.

Oh, well. It may all be different by the time I cruise and I won’t complain about an extra day in the Journey’s new Den with a good book and social distanced new friends, if it doesn’t and I don’t find an appealing excursion.

Melissa

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LT Hambone said:

614a6d1773046058224607.gif.9f647182d0cf131cc1cd4bb70864e8e4.gif

Something else to ponder - the day before we arrive in Livorno, ALL passengers will have had a negative COVID test in order to board, and be fully vaccinated. Right? So why would a Port Authority restrict a small ship (say around 300 passengers) who are fully vaccinated and have a negative test?

Sitting back waiting to see how this all pans out.....

I asked Piglet and Eeyore what they thought and they couldn't understand it either🙃. It is what it is and I think those trying to contact authorities are wasting their time. I'd rather leave that to the crew on the ship!

Phil 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I asked Piglet and Eeyore what they thought and they couldn't understand it either🙃. It is what it is and I think those trying to contact authorities are wasting their time. I'd rather leave that to the crew on the ship!

Phil 

Well said

If Azamara could let people ashore on their own they would!  
They have the expertise of a back office, a port agent network and everything behind them trying to make that happen. They would only have issued that communication if they had exhausted all possibilities. 

• Like 3

• Host Hattie changed the title to Restrictions in Italy

@excitedofharpenden - Well said, and I agree! I'm just scratching my head the more I read into the fine print, doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is and is for only one port.

I'm also curious if local tour providers are aware. We've booked a shared group tour with pickup at the port, and they have not contacted us about the change or changed their website. Maybe they are like me - optimistic things will change!

Bottom line is this - we still get to cruise and we still get to go ashore! While it might not be the way we wanted to see Florence, we still get to see Florence! Our vaction in six weeks is still a go, and we will have an amazing adventure.

Positive vibes everyone!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LT Hambone said:

@excitedofharpenden - Well said, and I agree! I'm just scratching my head the more I read into the fine print, doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is and is for only one port.

I'm also curious if local tour providers are aware. We've booked a shared group tour with pickup at the port, and they have not contacted us about the change or changed their website. Maybe they are like me - optimistic things will change!

Bottom line is this - we still get to cruise and we still get to go ashore! While it might not be the way we wanted to see Florence, we still get to see Florence! Our vaction in six weeks is still a go, and we will have an amazing adventure.

Positive vibes everyone!

We’ll said; we all need to realize how fortunate we are to even be able to cruise now, and realize that it’s just going to be different this year.

• Like 6

Look at this from Azamara's "Explore Well at Sea Travel Requirements" !!!

WHAT TO EXPECT ON BOARDING DAY

Please wear your face mask at all times during the boarding process and maintain social distancing.

TESTING & SCREENING REQUIREMENTS

Pre-Arrival Testing

• Country Entry: Travelers arriving from Canada, Japan and USA must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 that has been conducted within the 72 hours period before your arrival time in Italy. Proof of a negative molecular or antigen swab test is required. Children that are of age 5 and under are exempt from the pre-departure swab test. There currently is no requirement for testing prior to arrival for Israeli citizens. Isolation for 5 days and subsequent testing is required if travelers arrive without proof of a negative test.
  • Early Country Entry: If visiting Italy earlier, be sure to comply with the 72-hour time period or a second test may be required prior to boarding.
  • Boarding the Ship in Italy: An additional SARS-CoV-2 rapid test will be conducted upon arrival for guests 2 years of age or older.

Now, what do they mean when talking about Early Country Entry?  We will get our test on Sunday for a Tuesday flight, and arrive in Italy on Wednesday.  Our cruise starts on Saturday, we are tourists in Rome from Wednesday until Saturday morning.  I see Azamara will be testing us at the port.  Are they talking about some other testing requirement?  This is way too crazy!!!

I called Azamara this morning for some clarification on the shore excursion requirements/restrictions.  I told the very friendly rep that our research indicates that neither the country of Italy nor the port authorities are demanding only ship arranged shore excursion in Italy and that the number and types of available ship sponsored excursions are too limited. 

After being on hold for quite some time, the rep came back and told me that couldn't reach a supervisor, their port authority team, or a third group she was trying to reach (I forget whom) but that she googled it and determined that the restriction is indeed in place for Italy but that we could reach out to "Private Journeys" to arrange for approved private tours at 844-571-7851.  

I called the number and it was answered by "Royal Caribbean" and that they were for Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara private tours (apparently they're still doing this for Azamara despite the sale of the company).  I gave them some details of tours that we'd like to replace for the private (non-sponsored) tours we already set up.  Their turn around time for the quote is four business days.  The rep also mentioned they can only arrange tours up to 21 days in advance.

Finally, I googled "Private Journeys" and found this website: royalcaribbean.com/privatejourneys

7 minutes ago, Solar Yellow said:

I called Azamara this morning for some clarification on the shore excursion requirements/restrictions.  I told the very friendly rep that our research indicates that neither the country of Italy nor the port authorities are demanding only ship arranged shore excursion in Italy and that the number and types of available ship sponsored excursions are too limited. 

Where did you find that out?

You are barking up the wrong tree with "private journeys". I know what these are. Azamara will put together your own private tour and these are very expensive. They are not a private tour as you are interpreting it. 

Phil 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Where did you find that out?

You are barking up the wrong tree with "private journeys". I know what these are. Azamara will put together your own private tour and these are very expensive. They are not a private tour as you are interpreting it. 

Phil 

Some of us on our Roll Call have googled and can't find any requirement for ship sponsored excursion from the country of Italy.  Also, the private tour companies we've already made arrangements with have said it's not coming from the port authorities (unsurprisingly) and they're checking on their end.

Believe me, I'm prepared for the prices that Private Journeys comes up with to be ridiculous and insulting.  Hoping this requirement goes away soon as someone removes their head from an orifice.  

• Like 2

As I said on another thread the ship also has to comply with CDC orders and the requirements of their insurers.  Local providers will not know the complexities of all the rules the ship is having to sail under.  As I recall when it was published initially it is about 75 pages long.  

I do not think anyone is going to deliberately insult you with prices, but it is typically about $600 per car for 4 hours.

I would prepare to accept the ships tours, having been on two last week (and not being a huge fan of them) I was extremely pleased with the experience all round - no one herded us into shops and the guides were of a high standard.  Groups were small.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

As I said on another thread the ship also has to comply with CDC orders and the requirements of their insurers.  Local providers will not know the complexities of all the rules the ship is having to sail under.  As I recall when it was published initially it is about 75 pages long.  

I do not think anyone is going to deliberately insult you with prices, but it is typically about $600 per car for 4 hours.

I would prepare to accept the ships tours, having been on two last week (and not being a huge fan of them) I was extremely pleased with the experience all round - no one herded us into shops and the guides were of a high standard.  Groups were small.

Interesting that we can roam around any Italian city for days, visiting museums, dining, drinking without any restrictions other than the standard protocols. We could travel by train or ferry without extra restrictions. But, since you are on a ship with a few hundred vaccinated and tested passengers, you are basically held in quarantine. We are not a mega ship with unvaccinated, untested passengers.

I don't mind taking the AZ excursions per se. The real issue is that, except for the 2-7 hours you are on an excursion, you will be held hostage on the ship. You can't experience the random charm of meandering through a town or a meal (part of the cultural experience) on your own. Few AZ excursions offer a meal.If the tour doesn't organize a group meal, you won't experience the cultural interaction with locals.  If the tour doesn't walk along the sea promenade, you won't walk along the promenade to experience the charms of the town.

Why be in port for up to 12 hours if only off the ship a few hours? Perhaps AZ should cut the port call down to 6-8 hours and cut the port authority out of the 12-hour port fee. Staying in port is very expensive and having passengers sit on the ship for much of the port call is absurd. 

• Like 2

Yes, cruise lines have been battling against these inconsistencies since Day 1.  The hoops they have had to jump through to be allowed to sail legally whilst planes were only grounded due to lack of demand.  But you cannot blame Azamara for the fact there will be no going ashore on your own - it always was a risk - driven by global rules against the whole cruise industry.  Have you seen how it has been for Viking in Iceland - a real challenge with ports cancelled at the last minute and rules about touring ashore changed hourly?

Would it  be better to invoke the Book with confidence benefit and cruise next year when  you can hopefully enjoy the italian experience in the way you want?

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

I emailed the Italian embassy in London and quoted the exact Azamara phrase about only Azamara excursions being allowed to get off. They replied by email and  provided the entry requirements. No mention of specific rules for cruise ships. The Madrid embassy also said they knew nothing of these Azamara rules. 

• Like 1

I am on a Noble Caledonia cruise in the Med right now. We are calling on our first Italian port tomorrow. We have all had COVID tests done on board in preparation for entry into Italy. And today they announced that only ship tours are allowed in Italy.

Note:  Noble Caledonia includes all shore excursions in the cruise fare, and there are no optional or private tours for them to sell - so they have no incentive to lie about this.

Give Azamara some trust - they are following the rules they are getting direct from the Italian authorities. 

• Like 8