Check Your BinaxNow Test Kits

CHEZMARYLOU

We ordered 3 home test kits through the link on Celebrity's web site.  They arrived today and one box is crushed.  Since you can't open the kits before you start the eMed visit there is no way to know if the kit is damaged.  When I called Optum she asked about a seal on the flap of the box to prevent you from opening it before you are suppose to.  None of our kits have a seal. She requested photos which I send about 15 minutes ago.  I already received a response that they are sending new kits.  

422829385_Abbottestkit.thumb.jpg.fab7da549e3bb744e3beb7306a41cec0.jpg

• Thanks 5

I just got 3 in the mail today (I tested using one from a different shipment over the weekend) and mine appear to the the same as yours. You can tell some have damaged edges. 

What number should I call? I don't want to get to test day prior to the cruise next month and have damaged tests. 

And are they having you send those ones back?

Just got 2 in the mail. Not much damage but there is definitely no seal on the sides. Called the rep and she said they couldn't get them to me in time since I leave tonight to head to florida and the ship leaves saturday.

However, she did think it would be ok.... I am planning on taking them thursday morning and will update my findings. 

Nervous nelly now!!!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, viperfoth said:

Just got 2 in the mail. Not much damage but there is definitely no seal on the sides.

We have 6 of the kits. There is no seal on the sides (that’s where I looked for them too), but there is a small seal on the long part of the box, under the “do not open” sleeve. We had to slide the sleeves to see the seals.   

• Thanks 2

As an FYI - you can buy a 6-pack directly from eMed for slightly less.. and I do mean slightly. They charged for shipping.  

My disappointment is that the expiration date is SO SHORT!!!!!

I ordered a 6-pack thinking I was covered through my Dec 26 cruise (we have an earlier as well) and to keep on hand for work issues.

Well, the initial expiration date was Sept 18, which is BEFORE I placed my order, and the extension takes them through Dec 18, which is before I can use them for my Dec 26 cruise.  So, I've already been on the phone to eMed to complain.  

Since Abbot ships them with a 8 - 9 month shelf life, now 11 month, they should have at least 6 months left when we receive them.  

15 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Did you check the long part of the box, under the "do not open" sleeve?  See comments 6 and 7 above.

No. Since one box is damaged the rep just asked for photos and asked about a seal on the end of the box. Not under the sleeve.

This whole test kit is very strange. Why have a big sleeve on the kit saying do not open and a seal under the sleeve when the ends of the box can just be opened like a deck of cards.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, CyberTag said:

Where are you seeing the expiration date on your test kits?  I can’t find ours. There is a huge sticker that says the expiration has been extended though

The new (extended) expiration dates are not on the boxes that I've seen. You can look up the dates by Lot number.  There are some Abbott letters available on line that list the Lot numbers and their original and extended expiration dates.  If you don't see your Lot number on either of the letters linked below, just do a Google search for BinaxNow Lot [number].

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/COVID-19-Ag-Card-Product-Expiry-Update.pdf

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The new (extended) expiration dates are not on the boxes that I've seen. You can look up the dates by Lot number.  There are some Abbott letters available on line that list the Lot numbers and their original and extended expiration dates.  If you don't see your Lot number on either of the letters linked below, just do a Google search for BinaxNow Lot [number].

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/COVID-19-Ag-Card-Product-Expiry-Update.pdf

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

Where do you find the lot number? Is it inside the box we aren’t supposed to open yet?

2 minutes ago, CyberTag said:

Where do you find the lot number? Is it inside the box we aren’t supposed to open yet?

See the photo below.  It's on the white label on the outside of the box, next to the word that says "LOT."  (You might have to slide the sleeve to see it.)  On the box below, the LOT number (142400) is next to the lavender arrow.  The original expiration date (Oct. 3, 2021) is next to the hourglass icon.  (The other date, Feb. 2, 2021, is the date on which the Lot was manufactured.)   Don't be confused by the Reference (REF) number (195-100 on the box below), which is Abbott's catalogue or part number; that is NOT the Lot number.

I hope that's helpful.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYjh24Y9z_OcbtVLcJZ5s4EqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632135374

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

See the photo below.  It's on the white label on the outside of the box, next to the word that says "LOT."  (You might have to slide the sleeve to see it.)  On the box below, the LOT number (142400) is next to the lavender arrow.  The original expiration date (Oct. 3, 2021) is next to the hourglass icon.  (The other date, Feb. 2, 2021, is the date on which the Lot was manufactured.)   Don't be confused by the Reference (REF) number (195-100 on the box below), which is Abbott's catalogue or part number; that is NOT the Lot number.

I hope that's helpful.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYjh24Y9z_OcbtVLcJZ5s4EqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632135374

Thank you! This was very helpful! 

• Like 1

I am just back from a Royal Cruise, I dont even want to get into the cluster that was the getting the test kits in time.. but it worked out in the end. 

I did a great deal of research on these kits. It seems the expiration date issue was due to: Abbott was told to stop making kits some time last year. They did.. Then they were told to destroy remaining inventory.. they did.. by the thousands per day. Then, they were told- wait, stop destroying, we'll allow these proctored kits to be used after all.. 

Of course I am paraphrasing, but you can google it yourself to get full details. 

That is why most if not all kits they are sending have wierd short expiration dates. Once they go through the backlog of what they have left, I'm sure they'll start making new kits again. No idea when that will be. 

These kits were so very hard for us to find. We were told 5 days before leaving on our cruise the requirement was 2 days instead of 3, and that meant since we were traveling and not going to be home, we had to buy the kits.. Problem is, the whole rest of the world, NOT traveling as soon as us, bought them too, leaving very few for those of us that needed them right away.. 

Moral of the story, if I were all of you. I'd wait until a week or two before you sail to order them, both have very quick shipping (so they say). And then if you're stuck with a 6 pack, they might have a longer shelf life.. 

On 9/21/2021 at 10:31 PM, CyberTag said:

Expiration date is on the box and probably covered by the slide off cover. Move it to the side. You should be able to see the expiration date.

On 9/21/2021 at 5:12 PM, Turtles06 said:

We have 6 of the kits. There is no seal on the sides (that’s where I looked for them too), but there is a small seal on the long part of the box, under the “do not open” sleeve. We had to slide the sleeves to see the seals.   

Same.