Grand Cayman

kapcruiser

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

No one knows when grand Cayman will reopen, but last I read perhaps end of January but the date keeps getting pushed out. 

Oh shoot!  I didn't know this!  Grand Cayman was one of the reasons I chose this itinerary!  😞  I should have done my research here on the cruisecritic boards first, but it was such a good price that I jumped on it.  We are also soooo ready to get back to cruising that I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as we are sailing!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Disney4us!!! said:

Oh shoot!  I didn't know this!  Grand Cayman was one of the reasons I chose this itinerary!  😞  I should have done my research here on the cruisecritic boards first, but it was such a good price that I jumped on it.  We are also soooo ready to get back to cruising that I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as we are sailing!  

That's the spirit. You could have an itinerary change for any number of reasons: weather, mechanical, even medical emergency. Sure we plan around where we expect to go but know that plans can change.

4 hours ago, Disney4us!!! said:

If you happen to have purchased cruise insurance, you may have a legitimate claim. My policy (Nationwide cruise) apparently provides a benefit of $100 per person in the event of a change in itinerary. My Vista cruise was originally routed to GC and Montego Bay when we booked but has been switched to Roatan and Belize. It's not until October 16 so we haven't claimed yet, so I am not yet certain of success, but I did read the fine print and asked the agent (insuremytrip.com) and they seemed to agree that I have a valid claim. 

(I strongly doubt this now well known risk will continue to be insurable in the future. Because an insurance company can only hedge against the unknown if it wants to stay in business.)

4 hours ago, zzdoug said:

(I strongly doubt this now well known risk will continue to be insurable in the future. Because an insurance company can only hedge against the unknown if it wants to stay in business.)

They've made a pretty big adjustment to the benefit already.  We had both a pre- and post- departure itinerary change claims in the past and the benefit is much less now than we received for that cruise.  We'll be filing one for our Grand Cayman change but for the Nationwide policy we have, the benefit will be about half.

• Thanks 1

The islands opened up to “regular” tourists on the 10th and re-closed it on the 13th.  Too many cases of Covid were brought in during that short time. I cannot see them allowing cruise travel any time soon.  They have referred to cruises as a floating Petrie dish more than once.

1 hour ago, welovetocruise1234 said:

We are currently booked for December 19th 2021 out of Tampa with Grand Cayman on the schedule.  Looks GC is closed until early 2022.  Anyone know what the substitute is likely to be or if they will even have a substitute?  I am perfectly fine with another sea day.

Costa Maya.is now our first port for the 11/21/21 Pride out of Tampa. 

Bobbi

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

We're on Pride Dec. 11th to the Panama Canal with stops at Costa Rica and Grand Cayman.  Since the entire world already knows that the Grand Cayman stop isn't happening it would be nice for Carnival to let us know what that's being changed to.  

that's like 70 days out.  Carnival is still figuring out things for this coming week and next, so I wouldn't hold my breath.  Also if 1 port change on your cruise makes or breaks your trip, then you shouldn't be booking cruises right now.  the words of the day are "go with the flow."

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bstel said:

that's like 70 days out.  Carnival is still figuring out things for this coming week and next, so I wouldn't hold my breath.  Also if 1 port change on your cruise makes or breaks your trip, then you shouldn't be booking cruises right now.  the words of the day are "go with the flow."

I never said anything about the port change being a big deal, just that it would be nice to know what the new itinerary is going to be.  

On 9/28/2021 at 12:43 PM, JandPB said:

Our Glory cruise from New Orleans was to have stopped at Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. The change has been made to Belize, Mahogany Bay and Cozumel instead. Love Grand Cayman but will make it work with the other ports. 

That was also the itinerary for our Horizon cruise in November. Now have HMC, GT and Bimini. Not happy, but understand Carnival has little choice. Just glad to be cruising again.