Ever had a cabin changed without notice.

wallyh4184

We booked a R/T Italy and Med cruise in January with a popular online TA and selected a particular cabin at that time, then when the 20% deal came we received the rate adjustment and the new invoice showed the same cabin number.  I only noticed that the cabin was changed to (in my opinion) to less desirable location within the same type when looking at airfare.  I emailed the TA and they showed the new cabin assignment and said the original one was unavailable, offered a choice of a different cabins in even a worse location.  I replied that was unacceptable and wanted the original cabin.  I also called Celebrity but they would not discuss the issue because I booked through a TA.  TA responded that they waitlisted the original cabin should it become available I could get it, or a free upgrade to a 1C cabin one deck up or a $300 OBC and if the original cabin was available it would revert to that. 3 other couples are going an no other cabins were changed.  I still don't know why it was changed.

8 minutes ago, wallyh4184 said:

We booked a R/T Italy and Med cruise in January with a popular online TA and selected a particular cabin at that time, then when the 20% deal came we received the rate adjustment and the new invoice showed the same cabin number.  I only noticed that the cabin was changed to (in my opinion) to less desirable location within the same type when looking at airfare.  I emailed the TA and they showed the new cabin assignment and said the original one was unavailable, offered a choice of a different cabins in even a worse location.  I replied that was unacceptable and wanted the original cabin.  I also called Celebrity but they would not discuss the issue because I booked through a TA.  TA responded that they waitlisted the original cabin should it become available I could get it, or a free upgrade to a 1C cabin one deck up or a $300 OBC and if the original cabin was available it would revert to that. 3 other couples are going an no other cabins were changed.  I still don't know why it was changed.

Have not had it happen when booking direct.  Always was notified promptly and was able to get original cabin back.  Have had it happen when going through a large TA and they did not bother to notify me.  The main reason I no longer go through large TAs. The fact that all communications go through the TA and some cannot be bothered to keep the customer informed.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it was on HAL in 2003. We did not know until we checked in at the terminal. We dont cruise with them anymore for that reason. The cabins was very nice. Double sink and separate shower from tub. We wanted to be next door to other family members.

3 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I've heard of it but not had it happen. Somewhere around here is a thread started by someone who recently was reassigned. 

Someone booked direct with Celebrity had their cabin changed by X but they were notified.  Not given a explanation, just notified their cabin was changed.  

I had a cabin inexplicably changed on celebrity and didn’t find out until I got on the ship.  With incorrect luggage tags on my suitcases they were delivered to my original booking so that took some sorting out.

Guest relations tried to tell me that they had faxed the change to my travel agent. My travel agent did not have a fax number so that was clearly a falsehood.

I had booked one of the forward cabin that is accessible through a little vestibule.  A little investigating while I was on the ship showed that the family had booked the other half of that vestibule and wanted my cabin too, so I was bumped out of it

In that case I found out why I was moved. But often you can’t find out. 

With the social distancing on the ships, Celebrity has been clearing entire floors to give the cabins to the crew. This has caused many passengers to get moved involuntarily. Some have gotten better cabins and some feel their new cabin is worse. Try to have your TA secure a better cabin on another deck if it's available or take some free cash!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

With the social distancing on the ships, Celebrity has been clearing entire floors to give the cabins to the crew. This has caused many passengers to get moved involuntarily.

I was about to comment something related to that. 

We returned three weeks ago from a cruise on MSC. They changed our cabin 2 days before departure. When I asked why, they said that it was because of staffing  requirements, Since the ship was sailing at about 50%, they were reassigning cabins in order to keep those occupied clustered together rather than having cabin stewards running all over the ship between scattered cabins.

We were reassigned to what we considered a worse cabin, so we asked to have it changed at guest services once we boarded the ship. The supervisor found us another cabin, not quite like the one we originally had, but better than the one that we were reassigned into. 

16 minutes ago, Tapi said:

We were reassigned to what we considered a worse cabin, so we asked to have it changed at guest services once we boarded the ship. The supervisor found us another cabin, not quite like the one we originally had, but better than the one that we were reassigned into. 

If you know, would be curious to know category of original cabin, reassigned cabin, and final cabin.

What I've been seeing are crew moved into OV for the most part.

Edited by canderson

1 hour ago, canderson said:

If you know, would be curious to know category of original cabin, reassigned cabin, and final cabin.

What I've been seeing are crew moved into OV for the most part.

I was on Equinox two weeks ago and to my knowledge, they completely cleared deck 6 for the crew.

Edited by neverlaysup

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

I meant on Deck 6, where they all got clustered for some reason.  Jim_Iain made note of this in his recent (and excellent) blog.  Learned a lot from that thread.

They may use a cluster of veranda cabins for crew who are doing their 2 week quarantine. Since they can’t go out of the cabin for all that time by putting them  in veranda cabins they can at least go outside. 

10 hours ago, canderson said:

I don’t know the specific categories,  but my original cabin was deck 9 starboard aft, with an angled, larger balcony right where the hull widens out. We were initially moved to deck 11 port, aaaaall the way forward (with a standard  balcony and not on the side of the ship we wanted to be on). 

Our final assignment was deck 12, starboard, midship. We were now on the side of the ship we wanted to be on, 3 decks higher than our first cabin, so technically a “better” cabin, but we still sacrificed the larger, angled balcony, and now we looked straight down at lifeboats. 

Just this week I received a call from Celebrity informing me that our cabin was changed - four days before our cruise.  They basically said 'we changed your room, but you can cancel without penalty if you are not happy'.  It is Celebrity Millennium and we booked an Aqua Class cabin on Deck 11 (and paid extra to be on Deck 11).  Aqua Class on the Millennium is Deck 9, and they relocated us there, first all the way forward, then to more mid-ship, but it's a cabin with an adjoining door (so it could be noisy).  I actually had to call Celebrity (and was on hold for 30 minutes) to get them to refund the difference ($200) between the Deck 11 Aqua (spa) class, and the Aqua A2 we were assigned.  I asked for OBC, and they said 'no'.  I will ask about a cabin change once I am onboard tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just this week I received a call from Celebrity informing me that our cabin was changed - four days before our cruise.  They basically said 'we changed your room, but you can cancel without penalty if you are not happy'.  It is Celebrity Millennium and we booked an Aqua Class cabin on Deck 11 (and paid extra to be on Deck 11).  Aqua Class on the Millennium is Deck 9, and they relocated us there, first all the way forward, then to more mid-ship, but it's a cabin with an adjoining door (so it could be noisy).  I actually had to call Celebrity (and was on hold for 30 minutes) to get them to refund the difference ($200) between the Deck 11 Aqua (spa) class, and the Aqua A2 we were assigned.  I asked for OBC, and they said 'no'.  I will ask about a cabin change once I am onboard tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

Good luck and bon voyage

• Like 1

I've had cabins change twice without any advance notice whatsoever out of all my many cruises...once on Celebrity, once on Oceania.

On a Southeast Asia cruise on Millennium, we had booked an OV cabin to save a little money.  The price difference from OV to Veranda was considerable and we figured, with the itinerary being very port intensive, we'd be okay without the balcony.  When we got to the port, we were delayed at check-in for some unknown reason.  The agent came back and apologized.  Said he had trouble finding our cards...because, apparently, they had changed our cabin.  We had been moved to a Handicaped Veranda.  The cabin was much bigger, midship, a few decks higher and, of course, had a nice large balcony.  He told us he assumed that someone had canceled out of the cruise last minute, leaving the cabin vacant with little notice..and, for some unknown reason, someone chose us to move up.

We felt a little odd occupying a handicapped cabin since we have no handicaps...but we figured we'd be okay with it since, apparently, no one on our cruise needed it.  The cabin was extra-spacious, the bathroom and shower larger than usual.  It did take some adjusting to a shower with no rise on the floor to keep water in (allowing for wheelchair entry, I guess)...and, of course, there was not only a balcony, it was larger than usual.

The other time we were moved without notice was on a Med cruise on Oceania Nautica.  We checked in and nobody even told us at check-in.  Cabins weren't supposed to be ready until later, so, as soon as we boarded, we went to the Maitre d' to try to line up some specialty restaurant reservations.  I gave the Maitre d' our cabin number...and he said that we already had reservations--ones we didn't make.  He asked my name...then told me that cabin had reservations under a different name.  He checked his computer for our name...and told us he found us--under a different cabin number.  When we finally were able to go to the cabins, we found our cards opened the new cabin number, not the originally assigned one...  There was virtually no difference between the two--same category, same location on the ship--except we were now starboard rather than port--which made zero difference for us on this itinerary.  Of course, when we didn't get our luggage on a timely basis, I remembered that our pre-printed and delivered luggage tags had the original cabin number, so I went to the other side of the ship...and there was our luggage outside that other cabin door...At the end of the cruise, I half expected to find my account charged with all of the other cabin's purchases, but thankfully that didn't happen.  To this day, I have zero clue as to why they moved us.

16 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

With the social distancing on the ships, Celebrity has been clearing entire floors to give the cabins to the crew. 

crew on Edge will no longer have their own cabins as of Oct 1 sailings.

back to being doubled up. and they have to move from passenger cabins back to crew cabins

On 9/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, jelayne said:

There are OVs on decks 3, 7 & 8 on the S Class ships.

Pretty sure they would not clear deck 3, it has quite a few Mobility impaired cabins and a lot of the other mobility limited like this deck for its easy access to everything deck 3-5.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:06 PM, jelayne said:

They may use a cluster of veranda cabins for crew who are doing their 2 week quarantine. Since they can’t go out of the cabin for all that time by putting them  in veranda cabins they can at least go outside. 

My cabin steward and our waiter in Murano all said that every crew member has their own cabin. I order to house the 900 crew, they are utilizing passenger cabins. I think they may be consolidating the crew to a certain floor to keep the crew together and not intermingled with the passengers.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, bigbenboys said:

Yes it was on HAL in 2003. We did not know until we checked in at the terminal. We dont cruise with them anymore for that reason. The cabins was very nice. Double sink and separate shower from tub. We wanted to be next door to other family members.

17 years ago is hardly a predictor of  current policies.

9 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

17 years ago is hardly a predictor of  current policies.

Regardless of when it happened, he answered the question of "ever had a cabin changed without notice" obviously he has.

• Like 2

The cabin selection is a very important process for many of us, heck there is an entire spreadsheet devoted to that process to pore over.

YET, the cruise contract we all agree to, allows the cruise line to change it. Obviously they have to keep the same or better category. Fortunately this is a rare occurrence.

I once heard, but i  don’t recall where, that the same is true on airlines. You’re buying passage, not the particular seat.