Sunday brunch to go?

shadowdiver

9 minutes ago, shadowdiver said:

so is main dinning but but it's done all the time. for various reasons. 

It happens and it forces servers to provide less service to those who are seated in the dining room. The management doesn't schedule staff for walk ups requesting food wrapped for take out.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

Not sure where one would "go" on a ship with a "to-go" meal.   I'm pretty sure you can get most of the sea day brunch items in the buffet or at one of the other dining venues.  Then just head to wherever you want to sit.  There's also Room Service.

• Like 2

The ability to get "to-go" items from the MDR really depends on the Maitre D'.  Some will allow it, others will not.  @crewsweeperis right in that most of the items are available on the Lido (but not all).  If there is something on the brunch menu that you just absolutely have to have, go sit down and eat it.  The dress code is super relaxed for brunch and it really doesn't take that long at all.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

The ability to get "to-go" items from the MDR really depends on the Maitre D'.  Some will allow it, others will not.  @crewsweeperis right in that most of the items are available on the Lido (but not all).  If there is something on the brunch menu that you just absolutely have to have, go sit down and eat it.  The dress code is super relaxed for brunch and it really doesn't take that long at all.

I have on occasion, and mostly with desserts, ate in the main dining room, had uneaten food that I didn't want to waste, and asked my server if it would be OK if I took it back to my cabin for later.

I haven't cruised since Covid, but I can't recall ever being declined.

This thread makes me think of Door Dash or Uber Eats....I'm going to open the Carnival Hub App, select what I want, and expect it for pickup or delivery in 30 minutes to an hour.....If Carnival ever does decide to offer this, be prepared to pay extra...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, diesteldorf said:

I have on occasion, and mostly with desserts, ate in the main dining room, had uneaten food that I didn't want to waste, and asked my server if it would be OK if I took it back to my cabin for later.

I haven't cruised since Covid, but I can't recall ever being declined.

This thread makes me think of Door Dash or Uber Eats....I'm going to open the Carnival Hub App, select what I want, and expect it for pickup or delivery in 30 minutes to an hour.....If Carnival ever does decide to offer this, be prepared to pay extra...

When I said "to go," I was referring to the ability to get only to-go items, not taking what is left with you.

I have done it before for dinner time. My husband was back in the room with a migraine and the items I wanted to get for him weren't in the buffet. I told the hostess the situation and she took my room number down and she sat me at a table by myself closest to the hostess stand. A waiter came and verified that I wanted to order to take with me, and I was able to place the order with the waiter. He came back about 15-20 minutes later with 2 plates w covers and some utensils. This was on Carnival Splendor when she sailed out of Long Beach. 

However, on the Carnival Valor out of New Orleans, after dinner I ordered the cheese plate and asked for a cover so that I could take it with me (I like to eat it during the comedy shows later in the night). The waiter said they did not allow food to be taken out of the MDR and refused to give me a cover for my cheese plate. 

This was all pre-covid. Therefore, YMMV. You should always ask and they might accommodate. 

5 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

I ordered the cheese plate and asked for a cover so that I could take it with me (I like to eat it during the comedy shows later in the night)

Carnival does not permit guests to eat in the comedy shows. If you've done this before you were lucky. We've seen people turned away at the door for attempting to carry in plated food. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

When I said "to go," I was referring to the ability to get only to-go items, not taking what is left with you.

Ok there are no to go items. 

That's easy. They dont want the extra work of preparing special to go meals. I can understand making a exception for the poster below whose husband had a migraine, hopefully she tipped well for the extra work and inconvenience. 

Oh, how I wish wish wish cruise lines would make this a regular option for all MDR service!  They already plate all the dishes covered for transport, I would LOVE to be able to just place my order on the app, pick it up, and take it back to my balcony.  Especially right now, though I wished for this long before the plague.  

Unfortunately, while I think it would actually reduce the overall load on MDR staff, I do see some of the other issues it would introduce.  Cluttered hallways, extra work for cabin staff, increased waste...  I'd happily pay a service fee for the privilege, but some would hate the additional nickel and diming.  With the improved takeaway options on ships these days, I find myself wishing for it less anyway.

For the OP - it's not something you can 'expect' staff to accommodate.  By being polite, friendly, understanding, and undemanding, we have excellent luck being accommodated on all sorts of special requests.  We make a point of rewarding staff members who go above and beyond with written kudos and additional gratuities.  One birthday cruise, I was hungover something awful, and the MDR staff kindly allowed my sailing companions to order some pasta and WCMC to bring me in the cabin.  

• Like 1

I have never asked for an MDR meal to go, but the wait staff has offered (and I accepted on occasion) to prepare a plate to go when they noticed someone in our party was missing.  And, one time I was lusting after a certain dessert, but mentioned that I was too full.  They surprised me by boxing it up to take with me.  But, one crew member bending the rules doesn't mean that I should expect or require other crew members to do something they are not comfortable with.  I love and appreciate them all.

My philosophy on the ship is that it never hurts to ask as long as you can graciously accept a "no" answer.  My other philosophy is that "extra" service warrants extra kudos and cash.

My main philosophy, though, is you are on a stinkin' cruise.  As long as the toilet isn't backing up into the room and the engines aren't broken, it is a good day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

I have never asked for an MDR meal to go, but the wait staff has offered (and I accepted on occasion) to prepare a plate to go when they noticed someone in our party was missing.  And, one time I was lusting after a certain dessert, but mentioned that I was too full.  They surprised me by boxing it up to take with me.  But, one crew member bending the rules doesn't mean that I should expect or require other crew members to do something they are not comfortable with.  I love and appreciate them all.

My philosophy on the ship is that it never hurts to ask as long as you can graciously accept a "no" answer.  My other philosophy is that "extra" service warrants extra kudos and cash.

My main philosophy, though, is you are on a stinkin' cruise.  As long as the toilet isn't backing up into the room and the engines aren't broken, it is a good day.

Sounds like we would get along famously!

I also need them to keep pouring alcoholic beverages, though!  I don't care what they run out of, I'll work my way down my list of preferences till the bottles are empty.  Once, in Ireland, my group ran the tiny pub we were at out of first Catholic and then Protestant whiskey - had to move on to Scotch!  I don't recall any complaints =p

• Haha 2

You can always take Pizza back to your room!

The only time I have ever left a dining experience with anything was from the steakhouse when we could not eat our dessert from being so "stuffed".  They allowed us to take it back to our room on a plate, covered and they supplied us with utensils and napkins.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by hapytobehr
  • Like 1

I just boarded the Vista and our first stop after the muster station was the cucina del capitano.  The people in front of us walked up and asked they could order to-go and the staff was super accommodating.  I know it’s not the same as sea day brunch but just saying some restaurants do t seem like it’s a big deal. 

On 10/1/2021 at 11:46 AM, sanmarcosman said:

Carnival does not permit guests to eat in the comedy shows. If you've done this before you were lucky. We've seen people turned away at the door for attempting to carry in plated food. 

But like with most Carnival rules, they get enforced and then they get ignored, depending on ship, crew, attitude, etc.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, CruisingFromLA said:

after dinner I ordered the cheese plate and asked for a cover so that I could take it with me (I like to eat it during the comedy shows later in the night).

I don't know about other people, but I don't think I could enjoy the comedy show while someone was sitting next to me cutting their cheese.

• Haha 3

On 10/1/2021 at 8:46 AM, sanmarcosman said:

Is this really a rule? I have never seen any signage, nor is anything posted online about it. The only signage that I recall are put out about age restrictions when the show is an 18+ show. If it is really a thing, I will be sure to stop doing it.

41 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

Is this really a rule? I have never seen any signage, nor is anything posted online about it. The only signage that I recall are put out about age restrictions when the show is an 18+ show. If it is really a thing, I will be sure to stop doing it.

Yes. Over the years when I've seen people walking to the entrance to the comedy lounge holding a plate of food they have been asked to eat it outside the venue before entering. If the comedy host or their assistant isn't right there to stop people I guess it's anything goes. It would be odd to be in the intimate space of a comedy lounge seated next to a person eating their dinner. Doesn't it seem odd to you, too? Comedy clubs ashore aren't dinner theaters.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, firefly333 said:

Ok there are no to go items. 

That's easy. They dont want the extra work of preparing special to go meals. I can understand making a exception for the poster below whose husband had a migraine, hopefully she tipped well for the extra work and inconvenience. 

If he had a migraine I'm sure he wouldn't want to be eating!