Jim_Iain (with and Eye) - B2B Millennium 10/11 and 10/19 Pacific Coastal

Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Good evening,

Can two people share a test kit with two tests?

Does each person need the app? Thank you 

When you purchase from the Celebrity site you can order 2 or 3 kits.  Each kit is an individual test and can be used individually by 2 or 3 people.   Do Not open the  box until instructed or you may invalidate it.

Each guest must create their own account (I believe you have to have different e-mail addresses).    You can do the test on your smart phone by downloading a program called Navica or from https://www.emed.com 

Each person needs to log in individually and then select "Start Testing" 

• Like 1

Checked in with the Alaska Airlines this morning.     I want to preface this that we have not traveled Alaska in years.

Pre-Checkin was quick and easy and they a feature I've not seen before.    You can print your luggage tags at home an then place them in a plastic shield you can order or pick up at the drop off counter.

Seems logical that other airlines should also look into.

49479978-3831-484F-8050-EB09269CD8B2.thumb.jpeg.dccb6e25c9e1a7eddb3e9520110b0f9f.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Checked in with the Alaska Airlines this morning.     I want to preface this that we have not traveled Alaska in years.

Pre-Checkin was quick and easy and they a feature I've not seen before.    You can print your luggage tags at home an then place them in a plastic shield you can order or pick up at the drop off counter.

Seems logical that other airlines should also look into.

49479978-3831-484F-8050-EB09269CD8B2.thumb.jpeg.dccb6e25c9e1a7eddb3e9520110b0f9f.jpeg

indeed a nice feature.  I would however want the priority tag that normally is attached to my luggage when traveling in business and first class.  I’ll be interested in hearing if those tags get attached at the drop off counter. 

49 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

indeed a nice feature.  I would however want the priority tag that normally is attached to my luggage when traveling in business and first class.  I’ll be interested in hearing if those tags get attached at the drop off counter. 

You still need to go to drop off desk where they add the priority tag and put it in a reusable plastic sleeve they provide. 

46 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

After reading some of the complaints about several of the Navica app I wonder how well it works internationally.  Yes, some of the complaints are from early this year but one that bothered me was that not enough identification information is on the printed forms. 

They may have worked out most of issues.   We had no wait time and is dependent on internet so international should not be a problem. 
Using a PC only problem is to get cam to focus and hold steady.   Would think easier on an I phone. 

Jim, could you find out why if I’m vaccinated I only have 2 days to get a PCR test but if I’m unvaxed I have 3 days?   At first I thought the requirement was just poorly written English as the antigen does have a 2 day limit.  I’ve now seen the requirement enough to wonder whether I should just claim I’m unvaxed for a 24-48 turn around test to have enough time to receive the results from. 

granted some are now writing that these requirements are for US departures, but it still seems odd not to be able to use a PCR test that may have been required for something else that is within 3 days of departure. 

Thanks in advance for whatever you can find, including everyone agreeing the requirement makes no sense as written. 

My understanding is that if a child under 14 and untaxed they require 3 day test but they also have to be tested again at the pier day of departure.  

In US if unvaxed the will not let you board regardless of test results.  

These requirements are fluid and may be different in different markets. 

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They may have worked out most of issues.   We had no wait time and is dependent on internet so international should not be a problem. 
Using a PC only problem is to get cam to focus and hold steady.   Would think easier on an I phone. 

Thanks, I assume the older problem had been resolved.  We would be using IPods so the quality of wifi and length of time may be problematic. I did find that they app requires different devices unless you are managing the healthcare for someone.  I’m pretty sure that hasn’t been tested well!   The requirement for separate devices is more than annoying as we rarely have more than 3 devices only one of which can down load the app and still have a reasonable keyboard.  I suspect the app does not appear in the kindle library!  

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

My understanding is that if a child under 14 and untaxed they require 3 day test but they also have to be tested again at the pier day of departure.  

This is my understanding as well.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

My issue is with the requirement for vaxed passengers only having 2 days to get a PCR test, it’s just odd when an unvaxed passenger gets 3 days.  No age is mentioned.   And yes, I’m hoping the requirements become clearer as things progress I have a bit of time.  For normal trips if the antigen test were accepted that would be my choice.  In one case I have to have a PCR test anyway and doing 2 test seems silly and wasteful of tests. 

2 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

My issue is with the requirement for vaxed passengers only having 2 days to get a PCR test, it’s just odd when an unvaxed passenger gets 3 days.  No age is mentioned.   And yes, I’m hoping the requirements become clearer as things progress I have a bit of time.  For normal trips if the antigen test were accepted that would be my choice.  In one case I have to have a PCR test anyway and doing 2 test seems silly and wasteful of tests. 

I am not sure where you are seeing that vaccinated passengers have to get a PCR test.  Proctored self-administered antigen test as well as rapid atitgen test taken at a clinic are being accepted. 

5 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

This is my understanding as well.

okay, I see some of the fluidity that’s happened with the rules.  CDC had said 95% vaxed which has meant and unable to be vaxed, and most like minors.  There are at least 2 cruise lines that allow boarding at various ports in the itinerary which may raise the unvaxed loads to adults. And no, I’m not going to consider local US laws, although I think that’s when I first wonder about the statement.

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not sure where you are seeing that vaccinated passengers have to get a PCR test.  Proctored self-administered antigen test as well as rapid atitgen test taken at a clinic are being accepted. 

As I thought I’d said I need the PCR for another reason,  and in one case to enter a country.  To keep it simple I wanted to keep the question for boarding from the US.   

Most of my larger trips are indeed on cruiselines not allowing unvaxed passengers, although that has slightly softened with Azamara. 

1 minute ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

As I thought I’d said I need the PCR for another reason,  and in one case to enter a country.  To keep it simple I wanted to keep the question for boarding from the US.   

Most of my larger trips are indeed on cruiselines not allowing unvaxed passengers, although that has slightly softened with Azamara. 

With all due respect you are kind of all over the map here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

With all due respect you are kind of all over the map here.

it's hard to explain in print.  I’ll stop trying to explain it as this has become a high Jack.   I can call the loyalty desk and ask Tuesday. 

The main question was why PCR test only get 2 days if you are vaxed.  The statements don’t distinguish age, just vax status.

4 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

The main question was why PCR test only get 2 days if you are vaxed.  The statements don’t distinguish age, just vax status.

That's not accurate, the website clearly differentiates between adults, who must be vaccinated, and children aged 2 to 11 who can not be vaccinated. And it's 2 days for vaccinated adults whether they choose an antigen test or a PCR test, the latter being purely optional. I think that you should carefully read the current version of the ever-changing Healthy At Sea requirements in their entirety, but this excerpt should provide the answers to your many questions:

Out of an abundance of caution, Celebrity Cruises will be enhancing COVID-19 testing requirements for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests. For sailings on or after September 13, 2021, departing through October 31, 2021, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. 

Unvaccinated children between the ages of two and eleven years old will be required to bring a negative Antigen or PCR test conducted within three days of boarding. These guests will have an additional PCR test at the terminal prior to embarkation and on the day before disembarkation. Please note, the CDC has advised unvaccinated guests cannot be tested twice in one day as it may affect the accuracy of the test results, therefore the COVID-19 test required before arriving at the terminal cannot be taken on boarding day. A registration link for required onsite testing at the terminal will be emailed separately.  

As to your primary question of why 2 days for vaccinated adults and 3 for unvaccinated children, Celebrity wants the tests to be as close to sail date as reasonably possible. The time frame was 3 days, but when that was recently reduced to only 2 days for adults, they were able to retain the 3 days for children because they are tested again on embarkation day. Celebrity has the necessary resources to retest the small number of children booked on its cruises, but lacks the extensive resources required to test every single passenger at the port.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The first time I saw the requirement was from a forwarded MSC letter.  I recently found it again in a discussion about Celebrity/Royal but failed to check the dates. I didn’t check the celebrity site because that’s not the cruise line that I’m sailing on first.  

If I see it again I’ll post it.  Most likely it’s from CDC!  Until then.  I’ll call the loyalty desks.  I truly thought this was a simple question about why the requirement for a standard PCR would be reduced to 2 days rather than the 3 previously allowed since its difficult to get back in 2 days.   And yes, I understand that short lapse times may reduce asymptomatic passengers from boarding .  It’s hard to reduce all in either scenario.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

1 hour ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

okay, I see some of the fluidity that’s happened with the rules.  CDC had said 95% vaxed which has meant and unable to be vaxed, and most like minors.  There are at least 2 cruise lines that allow boarding at various ports in the itinerary which may raise the unvaxed loads to adults. And no, I’m not going to consider local US laws, although I think that’s when I first wonder about the statement.

It may vary by port and country but currently most of the Caribbean Islands require that 100% of adults must be vaccinated or the ship can not dock.    This was the reason Celebrity shifted from  the CDC 95% Vax rule in the Carribbean.

I'll let you know how different it may be in the California Coastal -   the documentation I have received required that 100% of adults be vaxed.

Edited by Jim_Iain

2 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

The first time I saw the requirement was from a forwarded MSC letter.  I recently found it again in a discussion about Celebrity/Royal but failed to check the dates. I didn’t check the celebrity site because that’s not the cruise line that I’m sailing on first.  

If I see it again I’ll post it.  Most likely it’s from CDC!  Until then.  I’ll call the loyalty desks.  I truly thought this was a simple question about why the requirement for a standard PCR would be reduced to 2 days rather than the 3 previously allowed. 

With all due respect what MSC and Royal are doing has little effect on the rules   and protocol that Celebrity has issued.   Each cruise line has signed protocols with CDC to sail out of U.S. waters and they may not be consistent.  CDC regs state that the  passenger load must be "AT LEAST" 95% it doesn't say it has to be 95%

If you are sailing on Celebrity I would suggest you go to their Health at Sea section.     It has stabilized and seems to be consistent at the moment.

• Like 3