Jim_Iain (with and Eye) - B2B Millennium 10/11 and 10/19 Pacific Coastal

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We had the same experience here in the East Bay. Originally shipped last week from about 20 miles away in Oakland, went through Memphis and then back locally. I don't think you can get more inefficient than that! They are supposed to arrive today.

Yea... Mine just arrived and are sitting on the dining room table waiting for  Saturday to get here.

3F486229-EA67-4111-B3C1-133ECC5BC730.thumb.jpeg.478b8bd0c1e0430aaaf82f40b0140912.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I believe the cruise originally had both Newport Beach and Monterrey in addition to the current ports but was cancelled due to covid restrictions.     I guess we are lucky they cancelled Newport Beach as the oil spill has really affected they area and probably would have prohibited our visit.

I think that the Covid return to sailing has shifted they type of cruises we have booked to get back to sea.  

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Worst port facility on our Ca Coastal  Cruise on Infinity was in San Francisco.. it was an old rickety wooden structure.. a series of circular ramps......no elevators,, really scary. Had to use it twice ( up and down)  b/ c we had an overnight there.  Princess ship got the nicer, newer pier across the water....X pier truly fell short.

I agree about the old Pier ----   That all changed when they built the new Pier 27 in 2014.   I've never been inside it yet but it looks lovely.

Pier 27 Cruise Ship Terminal | Public Works

San Francisco Opens Brand New Pier 27 Cruise Terminal

I just Googled and Pier 35 (the old wooden one you mentioned is still in use if multiple ships are in port at the same time --  Like you said it is just a working warehouse pier.

Pier 35 (San Francisco) - Wikipedia

Edited by Jim_Iain

Jim -  How soon in advance do you recommend someone order these?   Not sailing until December 4th so I was thinking mid-November.  These are our backup plan. 

Our original plan was to get the Rapid Test at a local Walgreens.  We went to the closest one today for our annual flu shots.  Talked with the pharmacist about getting the test and it's currently drive through by appointment only and he says appointments are hard to get.  I was hoping to be able to schedule a few weeks out so we'll see.  Fortunately there are multiple Walgreens within 25 miles of our house where we can get tested. 

p.s.  Shame you are not arriving in San Diego a day early.  I would have recommended you take a tour of the USS Midway Museum.  That was my 'cruise ship' from May 1984 - 1987.  Of course the accommodations and service come no where close to Celebrity's.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim -  How soon in advance do you recommend someone order these?   Not sailing until December 4th so I was thinking mid-November.  These are our backup plan. 

Our original plan was to get the Rapid Test at a local Walgreens.  We went to the closest one today for our annual flu shots.  Talked with the pharmacist about getting the test and it's currently drive through by appointment only and he says appointments are hard to get.  I was hoping to be able to schedule a few weeks out so we'll see.  Fortunately there are multiple Walgreens within 25 miles of our house where we can get tested. 

p.s.  Shame you are not arriving in San Diego a day early.  I would have recommended you take a tour of the USS Midway Museum.  That was my 'cruise ship' from May 1984 - 1987.  Of course the accommodations and service come no where close to Celebrity's.  

I've been to the Midway and it is really a good tour for sure.     San Diego has so much to do and everything is so close by. 

For ordering the test I would say order at least a week before you need them.    I ordered on a Wednesday and it took 6 days to arrive.    Crazy for them to use FedEx if USPS could have delivered in 1/2 the time.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

I've been to the Midway and it is really a good tour for sure.     San Diego has so much to do and everything is so close by. 

For ordering the test I would say order at least a week before you need them.    I ordered on a Wednesday and it took 6 days to arrive.    Crazy for them to use FedEx if USPS could have delivered in 1/2 the time.

Glad you enjoyed the Midway.  Last time i was in San Diego for work I took a couple of my co-workers on a tour.  Got into a little trouble sneaking into places that we were not supposed to go but the docent forgave me and did not kick us off when he found out I was a former crewmember. 

Thanks for the advise on the test kits. I will order them about a week and a half just in case.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Glad you enjoyed the Midway.  Last time i was in San Diego for work I took a couple of my co-workers on a tour.  Got into a little trouble sneaking into places that we were not supposed to go but the docent forgave me and did not kick us off when he found out I was a former crewmember. 

Thanks for the advise on the test kits. I will order them about a week and a half just in case.  

We cruised out of SD a couple years ago on HAL…took time to tour the Midway after our cruise. Was fabulous! Really enjoyed how much of the ship we were able to see. Loved looking at all the aircraft on the flight deck; and listening to many of the presentations made by actual pilots and staff.

About the terminal….we did actually check in through a low wooden building…must be the old terminal someone mentioned!

Jim…looking forward to read about your experience with the home test kits. We sail November 11 and will wait until the protocol is announced before ordering kits. Thanks for your reports…so much appreciated! And bon voyage!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

USPS has raised their prices and all but eliminated air!   

the only thing I’ve found slower is FedEx Smart Post which when sent from the Midwest tours a lot of the country before it arrives here!  

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

That must really be a Deja Vu moment to go visit a ship that you are so familiar with and have such fond memories.   Really appreciate your service to our country and happy the ship brings back such good memories. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggie North said:

We cruised out of SD a couple years ago on HAL…took time to tour the Midway after our cruise. Was fabulous! Really enjoyed how much of the ship we were able to see. Loved looking at all the aircraft on the flight deck; and listening to many of the presentations made by actual pilots and staff.

About the terminal….we did actually check in through a low wooden building…must be the old terminal someone mentioned!

Jim…looking forward to read about your experience with the home test kits. We sail November 11 and will wait until the protocol is announced before ordering kits. Thanks for your reports…so much appreciated! And bon voyage!

I was messing around today on Google Maps to remind me of where the airport is located.    It is SO CLOSE to the Sea Terminal.   If I recall it was less than 3 miles.    I was thinking that with our flight arriving at 11:00 AM and boarding not until 12:00 we may have to putter a bit at the airport or hang out outside the terminal until it begins processing passengers.

2 hours ago, GMoney said:

Millie (and Ovation) today in Juneau

A92D5D5C-2099-4B63-A4D3-6447B512D98B.jpeg

52BC24AB-1DDA-44FB-B00F-03C4B07EA7B4.jpeg

Great pictures.   I know there has been lots of discussion but I personally love the Blue Hull.    Reminds me of when she first sailed and was painted Blue with Gold trim.  

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was messing around today on Google Maps to remind me of where the airport is located.    It is SO CLOSE to the Sea Terminal.   If I recall it was less than 3 miles.    I was thinking that with our flight arriving at 11:00 AM and boarding not until 12:00 we may have to putter a bit at the airport or hang out outside the terminal until it begins processing passengers.

When we sailed the Millie in August out of Seattle, they let the suites start boarding between 11:15 and 11:30, despite the 12 pm official boarding time.

4 minutes ago, KAE27 said:

When we sailed the Millie in August out of Seattle, they let the suites start boarding between 11:15 and 11:30, despite the 12 pm official boarding time.

Thanks for the report.    I'm wondering how light the passenger load will be.    When I looked earlier today all times were still available for check-in while the second cruise is only showing 12:3 and later.

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the report.    I'm wondering how light the passenger load will be.    When I looked earlier today all times were still available for check-in while the second cruise is only showing 12:3 and later.

Good point and good question.  There are some people here who monitor the unsold cabins and maybe could opine on it.

6 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

We were on the same cruise as Jim and did this also.  One of us is over 70 and he had no problem driving the cart unless I sent him in the wrong direction.  We took the southern route and saw some donkeys, flamingos and wind surfers.  It was nice to be able to stop when we wanted without getting off and back on a bus.  We did stop at a beach near the end but it wasn't that great.  It didn't take long and we were back onboard for lunch.  The next time we may do the northern route.   I still remember being on Woodwind in Bonaire with you when you did you first snorkel trip.  😊

Sue

Sue, I remember that well.  Worked fine once I got a correct mouthpiece!  Although I think my snorkeling from boats days are over.  Too hard to climb back up the ladder!

Not worried about not being able to drive a golf cart, was just wondering if there were age restrictions.  Apparently not.  Would be much better than one of those Twizzies!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree about the old Pier ----   That all changed when they built the new Pier 27 in 2014.   I've never been inside it yet but it looks lovely.

Pier 27 Cruise Ship Terminal | Public Works

San Francisco Opens Brand New Pier 27 Cruise Terminal

I just Googled and Pier 35 (the old wooden one you mentioned is still in use if multiple ships are in port at the same time --  Like you said it is just a working warehouse pier.

Pier 35 (San Francisco) - Wikipedia

The new pier in San Francisco is very nice.  Sailed out of there for an Alaska cruise.

ideas to kill a little time before your cruise, drop your bags at the ship;

Hess Brewery in Seaport Village, maybe with a fish taco

or

newish seafood restaurant/bar Brigantine Portside Pier

or

Eppig Brewery Waterfront Biergarten (a short uber away)

Have a wonderful cruise(s)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks----- She's beautiful.      Can't wait to come aboard.     I was wishing they would have a repositioning cruise but I guess she will sail empty to San Diego.

From Seattle?  She has to sail empty if not going from Vancouver.

Looking forward to another adventure with you and Iain. Thanks for giving those of us who are awaiting our next cruise a "fix" to tide us over😉 I'm down to 18 days before boarding Edge, so the anticipation is growing each day. I'm relieved that your test kits arrived safely. Wishing you safe travels and a delightful cruise!

12 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Sue, I remember that well.  Worked fine once I got a correct mouthpiece!  Although I think my snorkeling from boats days are over.  Too hard to climb back up the ladder!

Not worried about not being able to drive a golf cart, was just wondering if there were age restrictions.  Apparently not.  Would be much better than one of those Twizzies!

I didn't see any restrictions, except that you have a drivers license.   They never asked to see it.   As a matter of fact they never asked my age.

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Looking forward to another adventure with you and Iain. Thanks for giving those of us who are awaiting our next cruise a "fix" to tide us over😉 I'm down to 18 days before boarding Edge, so the anticipation is growing each day. I'm relieved that your test kits arrived safely. Wishing you safe travels and a delightful cruise!

That is so exciting.      I found Edge to be quite different than other class ships.    Enjoyable but different.

Comparison Time -   First up will be Specialty Dining.    The main difference is Equinox has Murano.   Other differences are the specialty restaurants are approximately 2X larger on Equinox

Millennium -

• Le Petite Chef
  • Tuscan Grille
  • Sushi on Five

Equinox

• Le Petite Chef at Qsine
  • Tuscan Grille
  • Sushi on Five
  • Murano

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yea... Mine just arrived and are sitting on the dining room table waiting for  Saturday to get here.

3F486229-EA67-4111-B3C1-133ECC5BC730.thumb.jpeg.478b8bd0c1e0430aaaf82f40b0140912.jpeg

Jim - Could you tell us if there is an expiration date on these test kits as we have several cruises booked in the next six months.  Thanks for all your helpful information.  Mike and Mary