Day 2 test from 4th October

Bin man

14 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

There could be some spot checks but the onus may well be on the cruise line to ensure they’re completed before arrival, as it is with airlines.

So given that the PLF is submitted to a GOV.UK website anytime up to disembarkation, quite how is the cruise line going to know if people have completed it?

Even if the government sent the cruise line the details the night before of who had and who had not (which they don’t) the passenger could be one of the many who will be completing it over breakfast on disembarkation day. 

As for ‘spot checks’ - good luck with finding the few who haven’t completed it from the many who have. 

The lowest price I've is £3.99! But I think you have to collect the test package yourself from Peterborough.

I've seen a place in N London that does self test on site for a tenner.  We'll probably use them and have a day out, unless it changes to the cheaper LFT before we go.

45 minutes ago, picsa said:

So given that the PLF is submitted to a GOV.UK website anytime up to disembarkation, quite how is the cruise line going to know if people have completed it?

Even if the government sent the cruise line the details the night before of who had and who had not (which they don’t) the passenger could be one of the many who will be completing it over breakfast on disembarkation day. 

As for ‘spot checks’ - good luck with finding the few who haven’t completed it from the many who have. 

The cruise line will know you’ve completed it in exactly the same way as the airlines do - you show them the QR code that’s emailed to you when you submit it, just like your proof of vaccination.

Who you’ll show it to and when, I have no idea - obviously with international cruises from the UK yet to restart no-one’s done it yet.

But, according to gov.uk, if you’re on a cruise lasting 19 days or less, you should submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. So it’s entirely possible that you’ll be denied boarding without it, just as the airlines do.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Caravan 37 said:

Oh - confused

It was announced by the Govt that the PCR test would be replaced by Lateral Flow at the end of October, the date is still to be announced, but it was said that it was hoped to get this sorted in time for October half term.  We return to UK from Lanzarote on 20th October and have bought 2 cheap PCR tests from Tui. As Zap99 said in an earlier post if it changes before 20th we will just use them as a substitute for the Lateral Flows.

Edited by bee-ess

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

The lowest price I've is £3.99! But I think you have to collect the test package yourself from Peterborough.

I've seen a place in N London that does self test on site for a tenner.  We'll probably use them and have a day out, unless it changes to the cheaper LFT before we go.

Who's that with please? My husband works in Peterborough!

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

The trouble is that many of the prices on the UK Gov website bear no relation to the prices you will actually pay. Lets face it, £3.99 is totally unprofitable. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zap99 said:

Thank you. We have used chromonics. We won't know until we get it on our return what to do with it. I'm sure we will cope. Apart from the vaccination proof, Spanish form , UK form, arranging PCR test, getting a new passport, it's all fairly straight forward.🤣. First time on a plane for 2 years, so getting excited.

I'm off to Spain in the foreseeable future too and must say that I'm finding all these extra hoops somewhat stress-inducing...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Who's that with please? My husband works in Peterborough!

This is list of the providers on the Gov.uk website:

Choose a provider for your day 2 test - GOV.UK (find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk)

Some of the prices are now from £2.99.

Unfortunately I couldn't re-find the provider that mentioned collecting  the kit from Peterborough.  Maybe they've been removed from the list or put their prices up.

• Like 1

Just now, Son of Anarchy said:

This is list of the providers on the Gov.uk website:

Choose a provider for your day 2 test - GOV.UK (find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk)

Some of the prices are now from £2.99.

Unfortunately I couldn't re-find the provider that mentioned collecting  the kit from Peterborough.  Maybe they've been removed from the list or put their prices up.

Thanks, that's a shame you couldn't find it. I have looked at that list before, I think a lot of the low priced ones were artificially low and cost considerably more when you actually clicked through.

We recently used Expert Medicals, who have been kicked off the government list (we bought just before!). Albeit, a provider doesn't actually have to be on the list to be allowed.

Got the PLF code, which was the most important thing. Tests did arrive. Had trouble activating, but they replied in emails very fast with new activation code. Husband got his result back just over 24 hours after posting. It's not a week since posting, and I've still not received my result, so tomorrow I'll look to do a chargeback for the cost. I did do LFT tests at home to check I was ok.....

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 4:33 PM, BestGuessed said:

Well all I can add that may help is that we ordered our PCR tests from Boots a few days prior to boarding Britannia on 25th September.  We paid £68 each and received them in the post within 24hours of ordering and we know they are the legitimate item required by the government.  
I have placed them beside the bathroom washbasin so that we cannot forget to do them when we arrive home amongst the chaos of unpacking and opening a fortnights post !!

In our experience, bearing in mind the efficiency of the quick delivery we received, if you are prepared to wait to see what transpires and then order if necessary you should receive your tests very promptly.

We too have ordered ours from Boots and have them here, but we are a bit confused as to which number needs to be quoted on the Govt form is it:

The order number from the email

The barcode from the test tube

The barcode from the back of the box which is actually covered by a white sticker - but which I can just about read

Or any other number which might be lurking on the box

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Cruiserjules said:

We too have ordered ours from Boots and have them here, but we are a bit confused as to which number needs to be quoted on the Govt form is it:

The order number from the email

The barcode from the test tube

The barcode from the back of the box which is actually covered by a white sticker - but which I can just about read

Or any other number which might be lurking on the box

Any ideas?

It’s the booking reference number, which should start with five letters - eg if you bought it from Chronomics it will start with CHRON followed by a series of letters and numbers.

47 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

Cruiserjules …. The number we used is the booking reference number at the bottom right hand corner which starts : BOOTS ……. (then seven digits) which was accepted by the government website when submitted.

Hope this helps. 

There is nothing on the box or inside which starts with BOOTS.  It doesn't even say Boots on the outisde of the box it says "My Health Checked".  There is a barcode on the bottom right hand side of the back of the box, covered by a sticker, but that doesn't start with "Boots" either.  Here's the photos - the codes on the bottom left are the same on both boxes - HELP!

front of box.jpg

back of box.jpg

The main difference in todays announcement is you don't need to do a lateral flow test before entering UK from a Non Red country. You still need to do the 2 day PCR test though, this is only from countries that would previously have been green or amber. I just wonder if P&O will scrap the lateral flow test on the way back to UK as that will save a bit of hassle and a little bit of cash.

23 hours ago, bee-ess said:

It was announced by the Govt that the PCR test would be replaced by Lateral Flow at the end of October, the date is still to be announced, but it was said that it was hoped to get this sorted in time for October half term.  We return to UK from Lanzarote on 20th October and have bought 2 cheap PCR tests from Tui. As Zap99 said in an earlier post if it changes before 20th we will just use them as a substitute for the Lateral Flows.

Thanks - think I’ve got it now 😉

16 hours ago, Cruiserjules said:

I'm so sorry all, I've just looked on the bottom of the emailed receipt - and there it is!

Hope you  enjoyed the pretty upside down pictures of the box!

Panic Over!

Jules x

Hi Jules, we have just got back from a very good excursion in Cartagena and I have checked this thread … very pleased to learn that you have now found the required reference number.
Perhaps I should have said that you would find it on the email you received when you booked the test … 🤔… it’s not on the box !!😆😆

You can relax now anyway !! 👍🏻😄😎