Do we or don't we? Will we need a covid test for 11/15 sailing?

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Current protocols only apply through end of Oct. In addition to RCL, CDC’s CSO expires at end of month so all protocols subject to change.

I'm not seeing anything on that page that says these protocols only apply through October.  I'm hoping they will change too but I sure don't see any such disclaimer there.  This looks like what I'm expected to do...

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I think most of the protocols will stay. Testing is the big question mark. Did you see my set sail pass screenshot? Read the testing requirements. 

Ah … I see that now in the app. I have the same thing. So we just don’t know yet.  Wonder when they’ll decide?

On 10/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, BND said:

I'd rather see them remove the testing requirement.  I wonder what the percentage of positives is because the CDC"s data on breakthrough cases shows very, very low numbers in vaccinated individuals.

Yes but how many people have fake vax cards?  My SILs dad brags about his. Ugh. 

We board November 2nd and still have no update on what we will need.  I fortunately ordered the tests though eMed before they went out of stock, so we have those on hand just in case. I will post here if I hear anything before an official announcement.   

The numbers in the US appear to be getting better so you would hope that if there was a modification it would be less restrictive or the current procedures would be extended.

So for vaccinated adults it appears that the requirement is a test at least 2 days prior but also acceptable (but not advisable) on the date of sailing.

RCCL has their telehealth option which is $70-ish that you can take at home. There is also over the counter tests at places like Walgreens Antigen tests cost $49 and CVS has PCR which take a day or two for results and those can be a little less like $39.

Just depends on the level of specificity and convenience you would like but its not that expensive. Do look online as places like CVS and Walgreens etc... require some advance reservations or you may end up having to pony up for the more expensive tests at urgent care/testing facilities that can be around 3x as much.

55 minutes ago, comfixit said:

The numbers in the US appear to be getting better so you would hope that if there was a modification it would be less restrictive or the current procedures would be extended.

So for vaccinated adults it appears that the requirement is a test at least 2 days prior but also acceptable (but not advisable) on the date of sailing.

RCCL has their telehealth option which is $70-ish that you can take at home. There is also over the counter tests at places like Walgreens Antigen tests cost $49 and CVS has PCR which take a day or two for results and those can be a little less like $39.

Just depends on the level of specificity and convenience you would like but its not that expensive. Do look online as places like CVS and Walgreens etc... require some advance reservations or you may end up having to pony up for the more expensive tests at urgent care/testing facilities that can be around 3x as much.

The telegraph option is more like $25 not $70ish

1 hour ago, BND said:

Great, however, we still have to test to come back to the USA regardless of vaccine status.  Disappointing to say the least.  

11 hours ago, maggieq said:

Great, however, we still have to test to come back to the USA regardless of vaccine status.  Disappointing to say the least.  

Not on a closed loop cruise you don't.  Point is, the facts stated in that post are very positive concerning testing vaccinated people.  

Did you read the whole article?  It makes very good points about data on vaccinated people and transmission and that was the point of me posting it here where we're discussing testing.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, maggieq said:

Are you saying if we go on a cruise we have to test when we come back?  IF so how is that done?  We are going from Galvaston to Cozumel and Costa Maya.

19 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

Are you saying if we go on a cruise we have to test when we come back?  IF so how is that done?  We are going from Galvaston to Cozumel and Costa Maya.

No, you don't have to test to return to the US on a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have looked at Mexico and the only needed testing is to come back into the USA.

So we wait for the CDC to decide what  they want to do.

Honduras doesn’t make fully vaccinated people test to come into their country as of 4/2021.

Correction we don’t have to take a test on a

closed loop cruise.

but I think this is why testing is still needed.

sorry for the mix up- I will go back to stalking the forum 

Edited by Maitaivegas

17 hours ago, cindivan said:

Yes but how many people have fake vax cards?  My SILs dad brags about his. Ugh. 

Okay, but being tested before boarding doesn't change the fact of whether someone is vaccinated or not.  And, how many people are actually getting positives?  

43 minutes ago, BND said:

Okay, but being tested before boarding doesn't change the fact of whether someone is vaccinated or not.  And, how many people are actually getting positives?  

Let's try to keep this post on topic - it's not about fake vaxx cards, how many positives there are, or whether the Atlanta Braves are ever going to win a WS.  THIS POST IS ABOUT ROYAL'S TESTING REQUIREMENTS, specifically for November cruising.  What do they require, and when will we know for sure - that's what this post is about.

Thank you for your help keeping this thread meaningful and useful AND ON THE TOPIC.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maitaivegas said:

Just read this re testing and Mexico. 
it says entering the US by land and Ferry port, not sure this applies to cruises.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/10/12/vaccinated-tourists-cross-us-land-ferry-borders-canada-mexico-november/8429291002/

Does not apply to cruises

2 hours ago, Maitaivegas said:

Just read this re testing and Mexico. 
it says entering the US by land and Ferry port, not sure this applies to cruises.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/10/12/vaccinated-tourists-cross-us-land-ferry-borders-canada-mexico-november/8429291002/

cruise ships have been docking at various ports of mexico all summer.    

14 minutes ago, DrDani226 said:

I can’t believe they haven’t officially released November protocols yet. I certainly hope there are no significant changes that will make things difficult for those cruising towards the beginning of the month. 

I just hope if they decide we need to be tested I can find the proctored at home tests.  Pretty nervous about setting up an appt at CVS or Walgreens - those seem to get canceled. And I sure don't want to get to the port depending on a test there at the port!

Come on RCL! JUST TELL US!

5 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I just hope if they decide we need to be tested I can find the proctored at home tests.  Pretty nervous about setting up an appt at CVS or Walgreens - those seem to get canceled. And I sure don't want to get to the port depending on a test there at the port!

Come on RCL! JUST TELL US!

I don't have a choice unfortunately. I have a 10yo and they are not accepting the at home tests for unvaccinated. I plan on making appointments at CVS AND Walgreens, if possible, then cancelling what I need to. I feel bad taking up appointments, but we have little choice with these requirements! I'm trying to think of it as opening up a spot for someone who needs a testing appointment last minute:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrDani226 said:

I don't have a choice unfortunately. I have a 10yo and they are not accepting the at home tests for unvaccinated. I plan on making appointments at CVS AND Walgreens, if possible, then cancelling what I need to. I feel bad taking up appointments, but we have little choice with these requirements! I'm trying to think of it as opening up a spot for someone who needs a testing appointment last minute:)

I live in Charlotte as well, and we sailed two weeks ago with my 9yo daughter.   Just in case you didn't know the timing, CVS opens appointments 14 days in advance and Walgreens opens testing appointments 2 days in advance.  I made appointments at both places then cancelled one after we completed the test.  My CVS in Steele Creek is a drive up testing site.  Super easy!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...