Do we or don't we? Will we need a covid test for 11/15 sailing?

I suspect they have been in communication with cdc about the CSO.  Imo it will be extended with some slight modifications.

There are ships with cruise lines that are sailing with passengers in code orange and yellow.   

Which either means those ships did not file paperwork on time or they have covid cases of crew or passengers.  

It was determined that when crew is transferred to  ship and the new crew is in quarantine a ships color code will change.  So yes, there are many reasons for the codes and may not be accurate but it shows there is still covid concerns on various ships.

Just 2 +/- weeks ago allure ots had cancelled several shows due to some entertainment staff having covid and others had to quarantine too.   All they told passengers was shows cancelled due to technical issues.

So, they are not ready to let their guard down and stop all the precautions of testing masking etc just yet.

They have to continue taking baby steps to get back to normal.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Two devices yes same time.  

One device, I’m not sure you could be signed in to both accounts simultaneously. but I haven’t tried it. 

You can't do multiple tests under the same account. You have to sign out of the 1st account and then sign into the 2nd account.

18 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The other big change coming soon is the approval of vaccines for the younger traveler. 

Not sure where the embarkation points are for the cruises you mention above, but right now they are requiring everyone age eligible to be vaccinated, I do not see that changing Nov 1

I speculate once 5-11s are approved for the shots it will become mandatory to sail for that age group.  The lines will need to have a time delay for them to actually get both doses as well as the 2 week period after but I don't see them leaving a large window of time for this to be accomplished.  

• Like 1

We rec'd twenty pages of document and luggage tags yesterday via email.  Not one word of tests.  Lots of "check the website" and "more information" and "If you get sick you can't sue us" but nothing on tests.  That seems to make it clear they haven't decided yet ... maybe when the CDC order expires at the end of the month tests end?  Sure would be nice not to have to jump through that hoop!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BND said:

I'd rather see them remove the testing requirement.  I wonder what the percentage of positives is because the CDC"s data on breakthrough cases shows very, very low numbers in vaccinated individuals.

My DH had a breakthrough case in early August. No one contacted him for any information so I question where the CDC is getting any statistical data on breakthrough cases. We had just been on a US river cruise and debarked 2 days prior to his Covid diagnoses so I contacted American Cruise Lines since we think he may have been contagious while onboard. I was concerned for crew (who aren't all vaccinated) and guests. I called, emailed the CEO and Customer Service with no reply. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

31 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

My DH had a breakthrough case in early August. No one contacted him for any information so I question where the CDC is getting any statistical data on breakthrough cases. We had just been on a US river cruise and debarked 2 days prior to his Covid diagnoses so I contacted American Cruise Lines since we think he may have been contagious while onboard. I was concerned for crew (who aren't all vaccinated) and guests. I called, emailed the CEO and Customer Service with no reply. 

If he had a positive test, the lab data is reported to the state DOH, which is then reported on to the CDC. It's rare these days for follow ups from anyone. It all just goes database to database, but the CDC will have the accurate counts from the states.

Did one of the questions before the test ask if he was vaccinated? That seems to be a standard, so likely part of the data collection that's reported.

Edited by xtremegk
  • Like 1

Just now, sabres431 said:

We are sailing Nov. 7(20 days) and still no official word.  Not expecting much to change, at the very least there won't be more restrictions so we're assuming we'll need testing.

You will hear before I hear (possibly).  Please post ASAP when you do hear something!

2 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

You will hear before I hear (possibly).  Please post ASAP when you do hear something!

Will do!  I would anticipate whatever applies to my cruise will also apply to yours(all of November sailings).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tbmrt said:

We are sailing 12/2 and just were able to check in today.  On phone it just shows Vaccination "All Guests, etc." 

No mention of tests or passport

Updated later today!

ScreenHunter_584 Oct. 18 19.14.jpg

8 hours ago, sabres431 said:

We are sailing Nov. 7(20 days) and still no official word.  Not expecting much to change, at the very least there won't be more restrictions so we're assuming we'll need testing.

We are on the Symphony on Nov 6th.  I am assuming that we will be required to take the pre-cruise test on the 4th.  

Given all we know about the need for tests going forward, I am planning to order tests next month for our December cruise.  Anyone know if airlines will allow these tests in carry-ons?  We are flying to Miami on Friday for a Sunday departure.  Need to take the tests from our hotel on Saturday.  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Voluntary Recall Notice: On October 1, 2021, Ellume issued a voluntary recall of specific lots of its Ellume COVID-19 Home Test, due to an “increased chance” that tests may provide an incorrect positive result (also known as a false positive). In a safety communication on October 5, 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) confirmed this issue was “due to a recently identified manufacturing issue” and that “negative results do not appear to be affected by the manufacturing issue.”

I was watching a Dr speak and the Abott test is only 76% effective if you have no symptoms.

ok this doesn’t make me feel any better.

15 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

Voluntary Recall Notice: On October 1, 2021, Ellume issued a voluntary recall of specific lots of its Ellume COVID-19 Home Test, due to an “increased chance” that tests may provide an incorrect positive result (also known as a false positive). In a safety communication on October 5, 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) confirmed this issue was “due to a recently identified manufacturing issue” and that “negative results do not appear to be affected by the manufacturing issue.”

I was watching a Dr speak and the Abott test is only 76% effective if you have no symptoms.

ok this doesn’t make me feel any better.

While this is important and in some ways concerning I'd like to keep this thread focused on WILL THEY MAKE US TEST FOR NOVEMBER CRUISES.  This really isn't the place to discuss testing, does it work, what Doctor ______ said that completely contradicts what the ____ is telling us.  

I'm like you - trying to save the $99 I'd spend on an at-home test but I don't want to get stranded needing a test and I can't find one. 

LET'S STAY ON TOPIC: what do you know about testing requirements for November cruises?

3 hours ago, mchin said:

Given all we know about the need for tests going forward, I am planning to order tests next month for our December cruise.  Anyone know if airlines will allow these tests in carry-ons?  We are flying to Miami on Friday for a Sunday departure.  Need to take the tests from our hotel on Saturday.  Thanks in advance!

You need to have them in your carryon.  There are temperature limits that can affect them.   We'll be on the Auto Train in Nov and ours will be with us in our room on the train and not in the car in a non climate controlled carrier.  The liquid in each test is a very small amount.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

I’m fully vaccinated and retired, I don’t travel and my daughter works from home and never goes out. I would rather use the 99.00 that the home tests cost for groceries.

Also due to my health issues I’m afraid I would get a false positive test result.

This is a forum devoted to travel, specifically cruising.  Thanks for participating though.  Here is a forum that might be more to your interests.

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

LET'S STAY ON TOPIC: what do you know about testing requirements for November cruises?

We all know the same as you.

Until it changes, expect it to remain the same. You can always book a test in advance and cancel it if the requirements change.

Better to be prepared than caught off guard. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

RCL's page says you get updated protocols at least 30 days before you sail.  I'm inside that window now by 5 days. Went ahead and checked what the protocols are out of Florida and tests are still required.

Am I missing something here?  About to order me some tests...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

I'll be booking a test for my Nov 6 cruise just in case. As someone else said, book and cancel if not necessary. Or I will simply do the test anyway - And yes, I know the test isn't 100% accurate but doesn't hurt to be secure knowing you did your best to not infect others.

• Like 1