S.A.L.T. on the Silver Moon

taxatty

3 hours ago, taxatty said:

An interesting video describing the different components of the program. Undoubtedly sponsored, but allegedly an independent review. Looks fantastic.

The old cliche is relevant here:  A picture is worth a thousand words!  That is the best description of the S.A.L.T. program of which I am aware.  Thanks for posting this video!  

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m sorry, but when someone is comped an entire 10-day voyage, it is not an independent review, no matter what the videographers want you to believe.

It was certainly an informative video and there was full disclosure right up front.  What does it matter if it’s independent or not?  I enjoyed it though could have done without the speculation as to what Anthony Bourdain would have thought….actually, he probably would have hated any cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You completely missed the point of the comment, Gourmet Gal.

I didn’t say the video wasn’t informative.  I didn’t say it mattered.  I merely said it isn’t an independent review.

When someone does not pay their own fare, but rather the company who benefits from the review does, the review is not independent.  End of point.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've mentioned this before but the diversification of food choices is a large differentiating factor for Silversea over Seabourn.   One of the drawbacks of cruising for us is the lack of emersion into the culture and food of the countries you are visiting.  The SALT concept greatly improves the emersion.  I don't think we will partake in the hot rocks make your own steak concept though.  If Seabourn had a superior itinerary we would still take them but we find the Thomas Keller concept to be a little old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

It was certainly an informative video and there was full disclosure right up front.  What does it matter if it’s independent or not?  I enjoyed it though could have done without the speculation as to what Anthony Bourdain would have thought….actually, he probably would have hated any cruise!

I was just commenting that the video was informative and with respect to that does it really matter if it’s independent or not?

6 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

One of the drawbacks of cruising for us is the lack of emersion into the... food of the countries you are visiting.  The SALT concept greatly improves the emersion.

This rings true for us.  It's why for our next voyage and for the first time in our lives, the ship is actually just as an important criteria as itinerary, because we want to be immersed into the culinary traditions of where we'll visit.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

When someone does not pay their own fare, but rather the company who benefits from the review does, the review is not independent.  End of point.

I tend to agree. At least they announced the situation. When I watched it I told my wife that SS may not have had any input into the content but if SS came off looking bad, that would be the last such invitation for them. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:21 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

I don't think we will partake in the hot rocks make your own steak concept though.  

Why would I spend thousands of dollars to "enjoy" such an experience when I have to do that at home?  Just another "food fad".  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why would I spend thousands of dollars to "enjoy" such an experience when I have to do that at home? 

At home, everything isn't prepared for you such that you don't have to get up to make your dinner! And yes, it's for the novelty of the experience. Some find it fun, at least once. (Also note that you can dine in the outdoor restaurant but ask them to prepare your steak if you prefer not to cook it over the hot rocks.) 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 4:21 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

I've mentioned this before but the diversification of food choices is a large differentiating factor for Silversea over Seabourn.   One of the drawbacks of cruising for us is the lack of emersion into the culture and food of the countries you are visiting.  The SALT concept greatly improves the emersion.  I don't think we will partake in the hot rocks make your own steak concept though.  If Seabourn had a superior itinerary we would still take them but we find the Thomas Keller concept to be a little old.

SB used to have a wonderful "R2" experience, where you would get multiple mini-courses, European style  food with wine pairings.  I loved it.  Then it was replaced by the basic upscale American food in TK ( huge steak, huge chicken), presumably to pacify American appetites for large chunks of well-prepared meat. Though TK food is nicely prepared, and we do go there ( primarily for better service), I miss R2, because it is easy to get TK style American food near home in many venues,  so it is nothing special or unique. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

SB used to have a wonderful "R2" experience, where you would get multiple mini-courses, European style  food with wine pairings.  I loved it.  Then it was replaced by the basic upscale American food in TK ( huge steak, huge chicken), presumably to pacify American appetites for large chunks of well-prepared meat. Though TK food is nicely prepared, and we do go there ( primarily for better service), I miss R2, because it is easy to get TK style American food near home in many venues,  so it is nothing special or unique. 

We have never been on Seabourn but the dining choices appear to be very limited.   We've been considering some longer cruises and the dining options are a big issue.  Part of the problem is that we don't care for sushi.  MK, The Restaurant and Earth and Ocean all seem to have the same style (American) food, Colonnade is the only dining option with rotating styles.  Food is an important part of a cruise for us and think SS has a much better model.

Just a footnote I know its immersion not emersion, I need to check spell checker better.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We have never been on Seabourn but the dining choices appear to be very limited.

The factor you may not be taking into account in the main dining room, aka The Restaurant. The menu here changes daily (although there are a number of "classic" choices which are available every day), and it's not what I'd call "American" food. They have a large number of menus in rotation, so you won't be seeing the identical menus week after week. We find the food in The Restaurant to generally be quite excellent. We look at the menu for The Restaurant first, and on days we find the options less compelling, we check out the menu in the Colonnade. (On our last cruise, we bypassed a Chef's Dinner -- a 6-course tasting menu -- in The Restaurant because we like the look of the french restaurant in the Colonnade... and had one of our best meals of the cruise there. 

That said, I think Silversea has hit a home run with the S.A.L.T. restaurant. My only real complaint with the food on Seabourn has been that while it's quite good, it doesn't adapt much to where we are in the world (except for periodic specials the chef may obtain from local purveyors). I don't think Seabourn needs to go as far as S.A.L.T., but they definitely have some catching up to do to offer more food options inspired by the region where the ship is cruising. 

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

The factor you may not be taking into account in the main dining room, aka The Restaurant. The menu here changes daily (although there are a number of "classic" choices which are available every day), and it's not what I'd call "American" food. They have a large number of menus in rotation, so you won't be seeing the identical menus week after week. We find the food in The Restaurant to generally be quite excellent. We look at the menu for The Restaurant first, and on days we find the options less compelling, we check out the menu in the Colonnade. (On our last cruise, we bypassed a Chef's Dinner -- a 6-course tasting menu -- in The Restaurant because we like the look of the french restaurant in the Colonnade... and had one of our best meals of the cruise there. 

That said, I think Silversea has hit a home run with the S.A.L.T. restaurant. My only real complaint with the food on Seabourn has been that while it's quite good, it doesn't adapt much to where we are in the world (except for periodic specials the chef may obtain from local purveyors). I don't think Seabourn needs to go as far as S.A.L.T., but they definitely have some catching up to do to offer more food options inspired by the region where the ship is cruising. 

That's very helpful, thanks.  I know they change the menu nightly but even when you look at Colonnade on the website it shows an MK American menu.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/experience/dining/the-colonnade.html

IMO the MK concept is sort of tired.  He opened the French Laundry in mid '90's and Per Se in 2004, that's just my personal opinion.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Great video

Is it possible (or even necessary)  to register for the SALT LAB in advance?

Hi, I don't know if things have changed but when I sailed Moon in July there was no registering in advance and from what I remember there were always spaces available. Just check once you are on board😀

• Thanks 1

I find the food on Seabourn often is too complicated.  Complicated is not always good.   It can be difficult to get something simple if you want it.

They overdo it with sauces.  Even when I ask the server for precisely what I want, the chef doctors it in some way.

I am just forced to have a simple meal of caviar on some nights. LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, Lois R said:

Hi, I don't know if things have changed but when I sailed Moon in July there was no registering in advance and from what I remember there were always spaces available. Just check once you are on board😀

Thanks