Southampton Regal Princess Chaotic Embarkation

Summer hols

Relaxing now after the chaos at Southampton. We followed through all the requirements required by Princess

only to be told that we need to complete the PLF before boarding. We explained to staff that this has to be done 48 hours before

our return to U.K. They ignored this information and told us sit down and book test or you will not be going. There attitude was apalling

and they turned and walked away. When elderly requested help they said you have to go on line or you won't be going. This resulted in absolute pandimoniam with people trying to get online and when we finally got on it would not let you book date. We explained this to staff, but they said find a sight that will you do it and then turned and walked away. We finally found a Princess staff member and when we explained situation, she said we are correct and an email was sent to every passenger explains procedure. The port staff were not happy and we decided not to sit and wait. We joined check in queue and after nearly 3 hours finally  we were able to board. The whole process was a mess and we witnessed several heated exchanges with staff just turning their backs and walking away. I've read similar situations with other cruise lines using Southampton. We are now having a great time and Princess staff are great. This experience has put me off booking any more short cruises until we don't have to go through this again

Wow, sounds like they need to do better training, snd make sure everyone is on the same page. How sad your cruise started on the poor note. Relax, it’s over, and your wonderful adventure is about to begin!  

2 hours ago, Summer hols said:

The whole process was a mess and we witnessed several heated exchanges with staff just turning their backs and walking away. I've read similar situations with other cruise lines using Southampton. We are now having a great time and Princess staff are great. This experience has put me off booking any more short cruises until we don't have to go through this again

It would put me off from cruising on Princess forever.  

DON

41 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Please understand that we have discovered that the "Port Staff" really know nothing and I do not believe they are Princess employees. So, do not put this on Princess.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

3 hours ago, nini said:

Please understand that we have discovered that the "Port Staff" really know nothing and I do not believe they are Princess employees. So, do not put this on Princess.

But newer customers will simply presume it is either Princess doing it or having it done.  Reflects back on Princess regardless, so it is something they should try and improve/change.

4 hours ago, nini said:

Princess is running the cruise.  It is up to them to provide a good cruising experience and not to pass off any problems to someone else and say the "it isn't my fault".  Are all the lines cruising out of Southhampton having problems or just Princess.

DON

If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling

This is the new regulations on the uk governments website. When I cruised last month the form had to be submitted 48 hours before arrival back in the UK.

It seems technically the staff at Southampton were correct but it sounds like  more training is needed and a huge change of attitude..

Edited by Charlies Aunt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Summer hols said:

We explained to staff that this has to be done 48 hours before

our return to U.K.

Unfortunately,  you were wrong and the staff were correct.

However the attutude of the staff was obviously unacceptable.  

• Like 2

The PLF says this "If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling.

This was a notice on our personalyzer for our October 23 Regal cruise.

1656075826_ImportantAcknowledgementsforYourCruiseVacation.thumb.jpeg.1d8a2e82ad149a5047b93435df04816e.jpeg

Edited by billco

2 hours ago, billco said:

The PLF says this "If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling.

This was a notice on our personalyzer for our October 23 Regal cruise.

1656075826_ImportantAcknowledgementsforYourCruiseVacation.thumb.jpeg.1d8a2e82ad149a5047b93435df04816e.jpeg

So in effect Princess cruises were correct in what they did and PLF should have been filled in within 48 hrs of boarding. Which is clearly stated on UK government website where you fill in PLF so obviously people did not read it correctly so therefore their own fault and not Princess's.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

So in effect Princess cruises were correct in what they did and PLF should have been filled in within 48 hrs of boarding. Which is clearly stated on UK government website where you fill in PLF so obviously people did not read it correctly so therefore their own fault and not Princess's.

Except Princess posted a notification that said "Please note the website may show 48 hours, but its 21 days for cruise."

19 minutes ago, billco said:

Except Princess posted a notification that said "Please note the website may show 48 hours, but its 21 days for cruise."

It clearly states on UK Government website for UK citizens. - If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling. 

So if you have a cruise for 14nts you fill in the PLF 48hrs before boarding cannot be anymore straightforward.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Correction to above should have read prior to 48 hrs of boarding of cruises with 19 days or less.

17 hours ago, donaldsc said:
19 hours ago, Summer hols said:

The whole process was a mess and we witnessed several heated exchanges with staff just turning their backs and walking away. I've read similar situations with other cruise lines using Southampton. We are now having a great time and Princess staff are great. This experience has put me off booking any more short cruises until we don't have to go through this again

Expand  

DON

It was an issue for port staff not cruise staff 

We're sailing on Regal on Tuesday from Southampton. To me it is clear as billco posted. You have to do it before you board. I've done ours today. It takes about 40 minutes per person as long as you have already booked your PCR test for your return, so it looks like the port staff were right (if rather rude)

It’s all so bleddy confusing 🙄 We normally cruise just to get away for a break yet this time we actually feel we need a holiday!!

We did the PLF’s a few days ago with the 21 days Princess advice in mind for our Sky Princess cruise on the 15th Oct out of Southampton. In addition we’ve booked a day 2 PCR test with Nationwide Pathology using their reference details on the PLF.  

We have our Covid vaccination proof forms at the ready and are hoping for a smooth embarkation 😳 Let’s see 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, devonuk said:

It’s all so bleddy confusing 🙄 We normally cruise just to get away for a break yet this time we actually feel we need a holiday!!

We did the PLF’s a few days ago with the 21 days Princess advice in mind for our Sky Princess cruise on the 15th Oct out of Southampton. In addition we’ve booked a day 2 PCR test with Nationwide Pathology using their reference details on the PLF.  

We have our Covid vaccination proof forms at the ready and are hoping for a smooth embarkation 😳 Let’s see 🤷‍♂️

To add more confusion the UK government is considering doing away with the PCR test upon return and just doing self-test antigen tests and sending a scan of the unit you used. If it  does happen will Princess be consistent with this?

Regards John

Just now, john watson said:

To add more confusion the UK government is considering doing away with the PCR test upon return and just doing self-test antigen tests and sending a scan of the unit you used. If it  does happen will Princess be consistent with this?

Regards John

I did note the ‘no refund’ policy when I paid for the 2 PCR tests 🙄😁

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It clearly states on UK Government website for UK citizens. - If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling. 

So if you have a cruise for 14nts you fill in the PLF 48hrs before boarding cannot be anymore straightforward.

I understand the UK site is very clear. I also believe Princess was clear in telling passengers to disregard the 48 hours and complete the form within 21 days of returning to the UK. I wonder if some passengers hadn’t looked at the PLF before boarding.

42 minutes ago, john watson said:

Regards John

The government is hoping to move to a Day 2 LFT, instead of the current PCR tests. These tests might be slightly cheaper,  but the testing methodology is problematic. 

Princess have no say in the matter - it is a UK Government decisiin.

44 minutes ago, devonuk said:

I did note the ‘no refund’ policy when I paid for the 2 PCR tests 🙄😁

You don't need a refund.  The PCR tests will continue to be accepted,  even if LFTs are allowed. 

Last Tuesday for Sky Princess people were allowed on board without completing the test and plf, there have been 3 sessions on board to help those to be guided through the process. Mind you this cruise only became an international one with the associated requirements 3 days before departure so there had to cut some slack!