Yellow Fish blogs from the Emerald Princess October 15 to Oct 30

PescadoAmarillo

I had a 10:13am flight, and made it even with the delayed disembarkation time.  Once the ship was cleared, I did walk off with luggage, and ordered an Uber, instead of using a taxi, everything went smoothly. I will likely continue to use the walk off option b/c I dislike having to "find" my luggage in the hall, as well as having to set out my luggage after dinner.  YMMV

It was nice to meet you Pescado, and hope our paths cross again.  

• Like 2

Thank you so much, again, for letting all of us tag along virtually. I enjoy your diary/blog so much and it makes the countdown for our January cruise on Sky Princess go by faster. I'm happy you had a wonderful time and I look forward to your next adventure.

• Like 1

It’s official.  I had an MRI yesterday and have a “complex, multidirectional tear” in my meniscus. Our cruising days are over for several months. So glad we managed to squeeze in five weeks on ships since the re-start. Happy and healthy sails to all those who have cruises to look forward to. Please do a live from or blog!

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

t’s official.  I had an MRI yesterday and have a “complex, multidirectional tear” in my meniscus. Our cruising days are over for several months. So glad we managed to squeeze in five weeks on ships since the re-start. Happy and healthy sails to all those who have cruises to look forward to. Please do a live from or blog!

So sorry to hear the news.  Are you opting for surgery?  I have multidirectional meniscus tears in both knees and have been able to avoid surgery.  Only swimming and elliptical machines for me. 

• Like 1

Sorry (again) for the delay. My ability to be able to react or respond to Cruise Critic posts cones and goes, and has just now returned. 

Thank you for the good wishes. I have elected to delay surgery and try a cortisone shot and PT first, both of which are scheduled for this week. Still, there is no travel on our horizon. I’m relying on you to keep me posted on yours!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Sorry (again) for the delay. My ability to be able to react or respond to Cruise Critic posts cones and goes, and has just now returned. 

Thank you for the good wishes. I have elected to delay surgery and try a cortisone shot and PT first, both of which are scheduled for this week. Still, there is no travel on our horizon. I’m relying on you to keep me posted on yours!

Thank you for the update.  I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

Pescado, first of all, I am so sorry to hear about your knee.  Good luck with the cortisone shot and PT.  Please keep us updated.  I loved, as always, reading about your latest adventure.  Thank you so much for taking the time to do it.  You mentioned that you had no turn-down service.  We have been on 8 cruises since Princess returned to cruising, both on the Grand and the Majestic.  For all of them, I requested nightly turn-down service and they happily did it.  Were you given a option?  Plus, for nap time, we always ask for two extra blankets on the first day and that way, we don't mess up the bed.  

• Like 1

@CruzinNoonyWe were given the option of turndown service on the Majestic Princess and I took it. On the Emerald Princess, we were told there was no turndown service. DH doesn’t care, so I didn’t push the issue. However, it can’t simply be COVID related. Our steward was in our cabin every evening placing the Patter on the bed, and, because it was milestone cruise, we had a steady stream of flowers, candy and bottles of champagne and Prosecco delivered while we were away. People were definitely in the cabin. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

@CruzinNoonyWe were given the option of turndown service on the Majestic Princess and I took it. On the Emerald Princess, we were told there was no turndown service. DH doesn’t care, so I didn’t push the issue. However, it can’t simply be COVID related. Our steward was in our cabin every evening placing the Patter on the bed, and, because it was milestone cruise, we had a steady stream of flowers, candy and bottles of champagne and Prosecco delivered while we were away. People were definitely in the cabin. 

I am slightly confused about this "no turndown service" comment.  During this cruise, each night, my room steward removed the decorative pillows, and cover, and moved the bed pillows into a different position, and folded down the comforter and sheets.  What is different about turndown service?  

On 11/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, dreams_of_travel said:

I am slightly confused about this "no turndown service" comment.  During this cruise, each night, my room steward removed the decorative pillows, and cover, and moved the bed pillows into a different position, and folded down the comforter and sheets.  What is different about turndown service?  

That along with turning on the nightstand lights, replacing used towels and disposing of trash and closing the curtains is torn down service. None of that was offered or done on the Emerald Princess, yet the steward placed the Patter on the unmade bed. 

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That along with turning on the nightstand lights, replacing used towels and disposing of trash and closing the curtains is torn down service. None of that was offered or done on the Emerald Princess, yet the steward placed the Patter on the unmade bed. 

Oh okay.  Aside from the nightstand lights being turned on, I got all of that every evening.  My bed was made every morning, and room tidied, too.  I was not given a choice to have or not have it.  That's probably why I was confused by your comments. What was the reason for not having it?  Was it a staffing issue, or under the guise of covid safety?    

17 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Oh okay.  Aside from the nightstand lights being turned on, I got all of that every evening.  My bed was made every morning, and room tidied, too.  I was not given a choice to have or not have it.  That's probably why I was confused by your comments. What was the reason for not having it?  Was it a staffing issue, or under the guise of covid safety?    

He just said it was no longer offered. Since DH likes to skip it anyway, I didn’t raise it as an issue. But it certainly wasn’t staffing and it couldn’t have been COVID related. As I said, he was in the cabin every night anyway. And he was an excellent steward. I’m not faulting him at all. If anything, it’s a lack of clear directions for them. 

• Like 1

Just now, PescadoAmarillo said:

He just said it was no longer offered. Since DH likes to skip it anyway, I didn’t raise it as an issue. But it certainly wasn’t staffing and it couldn’t have been COVID related. As I said, he was in the cabin every night anyway. And he was an excellent steward. I’m not faulting him at all. If anything, it’s a lack of clear directions for them. 

As a point of reference, we are currently on the Majestic and are having our room serviced twice a day.  We did not have to request the evening service.

• Like 1