Where to find fancy wine on S-class, now that Cellar Masters is disappearing?

SandG

10 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

Cointreau is a high quality triple sec, Grand Mariner is a blend of triple sec and cognac. The two are not interchangeable.  Grand Mariner in a cosmo tastes awful IMHO … trust me. 😁

Although I've seen Grand Marnier used in margarita recipes. Usually with a reposada or even anejo tequila. As if you could taste either of them over the lime juice...

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

Although I've seen Grand Marnier used in margarita recipes. Usually with a reposada or even anejo tequila. As if you could taste either of them over the lime juice...

I don’t know what it was about GM in a Cosmo that was off-putting to me, but I couldn't finish it.  I’m unsure whether or not I’ve had it in a Margarita tho… I’ll pay attention to the ingredients list next time I order a top shelf Rita.

Edited by DenGNNJ

1 minute ago, DenGNNJ said:

I don’t know what it was about GM in a Cosmo that was off-putting to me, but I couldn't finish it.  I’m unsure whether or not I’ve had it in a Margarita tho… I’ll pay attention to the ingredients list next time I order a Cadillac.

A lot of restaurants make cosmos with Grand Marnier but I prefer Cointreau also Chambord is not bad. My preference is grey goose vodka so looks like I'll upgrade to the premium package

With the elite discount its not a bad deal.

6 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

A lot of restaurants make cosmos with Grand Marnier but I prefer Cointreau also Chambord is not bad. My preference is grey goose vodka so looks like I'll upgrade to the premium package

With the elite discount its not a bad deal.

Chambord is Raspberry flavored…. Never had it in a cosmo but it sounds interesting.  My hubby is the vodka aficionado… his go-to is Kettle One & Belvedere is #2.  Me, I can’t taste the difference.  I like the distinctive flavors of dark rum & reposado tequila in cocktails.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

Cointreau is a high quality triple sec, Grand Mariner is a blend of triple sec and cognac. The two are not interchangeable.  Grand Mariner in a cosmo tastes awful IMHO … trust me. 😁

Yeah, but it's GREAT drizzled over X's chocolate cake!

7 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

Chambord is Raspberry flavored…. Never had it in a cosmo but it sounds interesting.  My hubby is the vodka aficionado… his go-to is Kettle One & Belvedere is #2.  Me, I can’t taste the difference.  I like the distinctive flavors of dark rum & reposado tequila in cocktails.

I don't buy Chambord much as once open should be used within 6 months and I can't drink that fast. 😆 🤣 

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

I've only had Grand Marnier and never Cointreau.  I wonder if you know how they are similar or different?

53 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

No offense intended, "DenGNNJ," but it is "Marnier," not "Mariner."  It is pronounced [approximately] as though it were spelled, "mar-nee-AY."

Hi, "zitsky."  Cointreau [approx. "kwan-TRO"] is clear, while Grand Marnier is golden brown.  The flavors are quite different, despite their shared ingredient (oranges).

Edited by jg51

3 minutes ago, jg51 said:

No offense intended, "DenGNNJ," but it is "Marnier," not "Mariner."  It is pronounced [approximately] as though it were spelled, "mar-nee-AY."

Hi, "zitsky."  Cointreau [approx. "kwan-TRO"] is clear, while Grand Marnier is golden brown.  The flavors are quite different, despite their shared ingredient (oranges).

Actually Denny is correct!  There is a version of GM specifically for cruise ships and it is spelled Grand Mariner.  The next time you are on a ship, ask the bartender to show you.

1 hour ago, DenGNNJ said:

I don’t know what it was about GM in a Cosmo that was off-putting to me, but I couldn't finish it.  I’m unsure whether or not I’ve had it in a Margarita tho… I’ll pay attention to the ingredients list next time I order a top shelf Rita.

I’ll just not mention the times I’ve watched people buy a bottle of Patron Anejo, Cointreau, Grand Mariner, and Mr T Margarita Mix…

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

I’ll just not mention the times I’ve watched people buy a bottle of Patron Anejo, Cointreau, Grand Mariner, and Mr T Margarita Mix…

Please don’t.  

HOWEVER … gotta say, Agalima Organic Margarita mix is pretty dope.  It’s not cheap, but it’s very good (as long as you use a shaker - otherwise it’s too sweet for my taste).

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DenGNNJ said:

Blasphemous 😜. No cheap Cointreau in my cosmo please. GM all day long. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DenGNNJ said:

Please don’t.  

HOWEVER … gotta say, Agalima Organic Margarita mix is pretty dope.  It’s not cheap, but it’s very good (as long as you use a shaker - otherwise it’s too sweet for my taste).

Still rather juice a bag of limes and go from there.  Tho did find out his year making an apple cider margarita really great. Especially with fresh pressed, bonus living in nh this time of year with all the orchards. 

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Actually Denny is correct!  There is a version of GM specifically for cruise ships and it is spelled Grand Mariner.  The next time you are on a ship, ask the bartender to show you.

We know better than to trust you, "zitsky."

3 hours ago, jg51 said:

You really need to stop being the self appointed CC teacher/correcter.  We all know what the posters are referring to.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, LGW59 said:

You really need to stop being the self appointed CC teacher/correcter.  We all know what the posters are referring to.  

Guess I don’t get a pass because I didn’t notice my iPad’s spell check kicked-in.  Oh well, I suppose tolerance sometimes takes a back seat to self-importance and presumptuousness.

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 9:31 PM, zitsky said:

Would you mind sharing what those "great ones" are?  I wasn't impressed with the list I saw.

Sorry I didn't see your question until now.  I did notice that someone else answered, but it's really subjective as to what a "great" beer is.  I love beers that tend to be bright or sour and hubby loves his stouts.  That said, my favorite beer: Kronenbourg 1664 is on the list, as well as DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE, which is a reddish color and tends toward the sour end of the spectrum, but it's far more complex than "just" a sour.  I also love Saisons and there's one on the list.

We have a lot of craft breweries that have sprung up here locally and each one has it's own style and honestly, it's just fun to try all the vastly different flavor profiles.  Beer has grown up and it's a very complex craft, though there are clunkers (I cannot believe that someone made multiple types of pumpkin spice beers!). 

I suspect I'll be dropping by for 4 oz pours just so I can try most of them (except the stouts, not a big fan of stouts or the super hoppy IPAs)!

I know I'm still new to Celebrity having only been on two cruises on them at this point, but so far Celebrity has really done fabulous by us for the opportunity to try things we wouldn't dare at home because the cost could be prohibitive.  The best part of cruising after seeing new places and meeting all the wonderful people is the food and drink.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Sorry I didn't see your question until now.  I did notice that someone else answered, but it's really subjective as to what a "great" beer is.  I love beers that tend to be bright or sour and hubby loves his stouts.  That said, my favorite beer: Kronenbourg 1664 is on the list, as well as DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE, which is a reddish color and tends toward the sour end of the spectrum, but it's far more complex than "just" a sour.  I also love Saisons and there's one on the list.

We have a lot of craft breweries that have sprung up here locally and each one has it's own style and honestly, it's just fun to try all the vastly different flavor profiles.  Beer has grown up and it's a very complex craft, though there are clunkers (I cannot believe that someone made multiple types of pumpkin spice beers!). 

I suspect I'll be dropping by for 4 oz pours just so I can try most of them (except the stouts, not a big fan of stouts or the super hoppy IPAs)!

I know I'm still new to Celebrity having only been on two cruises on them at this point, but so far Celebrity has really done fabulous by us for the opportunity to try things we wouldn't dare at home because the cost could be prohibitive.  The best part of cruising after seeing new places and meeting all the wonderful people is the food and drink.

Ok thanks for sharing.  Did a Regensburg beer tour with Viking.  That was nice.