Ward Cove Pier in 2022

LAWTONCRUISE

Does anyone know if all NCL ships (specifically the Sun) are docking at Ward Cove in 2022. Cruise date is July 21-28.  If so, is the shuttle free, how long does it take to get downtown and anything else we need to know would be greatly appreciated. 

If this is Seattle its Smith Cove and in the past NCL has used Pier 66 which is located along the waterfront downtown.  Smith Cove is about 3 miles north of the downtown area. I’ve not heard of any free shuttles to either cruise port.

The articles I have read indicate that the expectation is that NCL will indeed use the new Ward Cove facility in Ketchikan in 2022.  At least one NCL sailing this summer docked there even though the facility wasn't totally finished.  There were still some "finishing touches" to be completed.  

Since this facility is so new few folks have experienced it and can provide first hand reports.

Appears by this article from August that they are still refining transportation from the dock to downtown Ketchikan.

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/NCL-Invests-in-Alaska-Christens-Icy-Strait-Pier-and-New-Ward-Cove-Docking-Facility-in-Ketchikan

“The line for shuttles — $8 round trip, so not complimentary — extended far across the spacious warehouse in the morning and ended with a hot and un-air-conditioned ride back to port that takes 12 to 15 minutes. Plans are in place for a 30-minute water taxi tour offering from the ship into Ketchikan. As walking is not an option, we feel that a free shuttle would be more appropriate to offer guests a choice of activities. Shore excursions booked through the cruise line include transportation.”

• Thanks 1

The shuttle started out with a charge but was changed to complimentary after the first sailing or two.  Next year is anyone's guess.  I used it to return to the ship (after taking an excursion into Ketchikan).  The drive is about 20 minutes.  The shuttle (big bus) pick up/drop off in Ketchikan was at the corner of Spruce Mill Way, right at the main Ketchikan cruse docks.

• Thanks 1

My opinion:  this situation would be a major negative for me in deciding which cruise line to book for an Alaskan cruise.  HAL ships dock right in the center of where one would want to be in Ketchikan.  Don't accurately remember where the ships of other companies dock.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

....  HAL ships dock right in the center of where one would want to be in Ketchikan.  Don't accurately remember where the ships of other companies dock.  

Prior to this recent development of Ward Cove all of the cruise ships docked parallel to the to the piers in downtown Ketchikan.

One of the developers of this new Ward Cove facility is the Fairbanks family who owns the Riverboat Discovery and El Dorado Gold Camp.  I would not be surprised if the WC dock will eventually include an extensive gift store or stores, dining venues and "experiences."  The Riverboat Discovery facility includes a -40F chamber, and the fact that Ketchikan doesn't reach -40F may not stop them from building another one.

• Thanks 1

I did see somewhere (don't remember where) that they were looking at a Water Taxi Harbor "Excursion" for around $39 dollars. I guess if you're not in any hurry it might be a good ride to downtown. I suppose you'd just take the shuttle bus back.  

3 hours ago, quack2 said:

Ward Cove is a joke.  Avoid it.

I wonder if the many NCL Alaska 1st timers realize that they are not actually docking in Ketchikan when their cruise description says "Ketchikan".  I would bet that most of them will be surprised and annoyed.  

DON

• Like 3

On 10/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, donaldsc said:

I wonder if the many NCL Alaska 1st timers realize that they are not actually docking in Ketchikan when their cruise description says "Ketchikan".  I would bet that most of them will be surprised and annoyed.  

DON

Bait and Switch?  Yet, in this era of very large cruise ships, why would this issue be unexpected as to where they are all going to dock?  Having to anchor in Ketchikan's harbor and tender ashore isn't as pleasant as docking close to downtown.  

On 10/20/2021 at 5:46 AM, quack2 said:

Ward Cove is a joke.  Avoid it.

Have you actually been there?

The Fairbanks family who is involved in the development of Ward Cove is very connected to the visitor and cruise industry.  I really wonder if Ward Cove will eventually become something similar to Icy Strait Point.

• 3 months later...

According to our itinerary, we are not docking at Ward Cove (NCL Sun) because they are not offering the Water Shuttle for $39 per person as they are on other sailings.  That could be one way to determine where you might be docking.  Last years photo's only show the NCL Encore. Regardless of where we dock we will still have a great time.  We love Alaska.

Edited by TomAndJane

We were on the Encore last August & docked at Ward Cove.  It's definitely not a pretty area, but there's a large warehouse-type building at the end of the pier with some vendors selling chocolates, t-shirts, etc.,  which I could see eventually being made into something more.  We left the ship in the morning as we wanted to walk around Ketchikan a bit before our Lumberjack Show reservations and there was no wait for the shuttle, which was complimentary, at that time.  (I had also read about the $8 shuttle fee prior to our voyage but, as there's no other way into Ketchikan, I agree that it should be free.)  There were maybe 8 buses waiting to take people into town that morning & the trip took about 20 minutes.  When we came back to the ship later that afternoon, we were taken on a trolley car-type vehicle which was also quite comfortable & the driver entertained us with her stories about the local bears.  The shuttles pick you up right at the dock, where a HAL ship was berthed.  When we returned to Ward Cove, we saw a short line of passengers waiting for the buses into town, but it was nothing major.  I would, of course, rather have docked right in town, but it wasn't that big of a deal.  Maybe we were just go glad to be back on board that we just didn't care!

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fyi the Totem Bright park is a 5 min car ride further out of the city from W/C. If you can figure out the silver line bus route, stops and timing you should be good to go. When we went we caught one bus out and the same bus back that had gone out of town a ways and turned around. In days past it was $2 with seniors 1/2 off. May also be a way to get into downtown or back but it will have several stops. 

google maps is your friend. Take Care. sightcrr. 

21 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

fyi the Totem Bright park is a 5 min car ride further out of the city from W/C. If you can figure out the silver line bus route, stops and timing you should be good to go. When we went we caught one bus out and the same bus back that had gone out of town a ways and turned around. In days past it was $2 with seniors 1/2 off. May also be a way to get into downtown or back but it will have several stops. 

google maps is your friend. Take Care. sightcrr. 

Where the ship actually docks at Ward Cove seemed pretty isolated to me.  It might be a hike to get to a city bus, but I've only been there once.  Maybe someone else has a better insight?

image.thumb.png.3889a09b5e697aa2391c574da0c479c2.png

Google maps shows bus stops in both directions just up the exit from the pier. Pier is under second g at bottom of photo heading down further. You are right it seems in the middle of nowhere. 

Edited by SightCRR

18 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

image.thumb.png.3889a09b5e697aa2391c574da0c479c2.png

Google maps shows bus stops in both directions just up the exit from the pier. Pier is under second g at bottom of photo heading down further. You are right it seems in the middle of nowhere. 

Thank you.  Good to know.  It did feel like the middle of nowhere! 🙂

Edited by NikiPinkston