The Rotterdam VII Library

Destiny0315

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Perhaps it's an attempt to create a space that can be used by those who currently sit at the tables in the lido/buffet all day long, playing games or crafting or just talking, thus freeing up more space for those who actually want to eat.

Would make sense. 👍 

1 hour ago, Reagan0712 said:

This shouldn’t be much of an issue because as soon as the breakfast/lunch period is over all food is put away and the blinds are pulled at each station until dinner time. Same after dinner.

Whether the blinds are pulled or not, I have seen people in the Lido whether they are playing cards, chatting, knitting, etc and stay.  Because of that fewer tables are available when they open for meals.  Just my experience.

1 hour ago, Reagan0712 said:

The Rotterdam has in the Crow’s Nest an area with a wall of cubbies that contained little suitcases in which there were games. Checkers, chess, Monopoly, Apples to Apples, etc. and, I think, six or eight tables. The chairs at the tables may have been the only comfortable chairs up there.

Thanks.  Good to hear but 6-8 tables are not usually not nearly enough to accommodate people that want to play mahjong, bridge, LRC, etc.  Especially on a ship that size and the knitters and stitchers still need a spot to go. 😉 

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

Would make sense. 👍 

Whether the blinds are pulled or not, I have seen people in the Lido whether they are playing cards, chatting, knitting, etc and stay.  Because of that fewer tables are available when they open for meals.  Just my experience.

Thanks.  Good to hear but 6-8 tables are not usually not nearly enough to accommodate people that want to play mahjong, bridge, LRC, etc.  Especially on a ship that size and the knitters and stitchers still need a spot to go. 😉 

Two large tables in the Explorations Central (aka Crow's Nest) are for used for puzzles.  There are 15-20 nice new puzzles, in shelves on the Starboard side, 500 or 1000 piece puzzles.  The sign asks that they be returned up top so they can be disinfected for future use.

I will take a photo of the reading area in the library.  Chairs are near large windows and not visible upon entering the library.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Would make sense. 👍 

I went through the lido at different times throughout the day and do not recall anyone sitting at any on the tables during off hours. This may have been because there were only 900 passengers onboard giving everyone more room to spread out.

The tables in the area where the games are aren’t the only tables in the Crow’s Nest.  There are more tables in the larger open area.  They do need to get rid of the large map tables that I saw no one utilizing and that take up too much space.

As far as the knitters and stitchers, they have more than enough places to meet during the day especially in the morning. Our group first met at Billboard Onboard then I heard they moved to Dutch Cafe.

29 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Are we doing large gatherings at tables now?  Is covid over and they forgot to mention it?

The last thing HAL wanted was even one mild case of covid.  Besides the vaccination requirement, we were all given a deep dive test at the terminal prior to boarding. Then we were all given a rapid test 5 days into the cruise. Except when eating masks were worn indoors when moving about the ship. There were people standing at the entrance of the lido to make sure everyone washed their hands.  And I saw them in our hallway going over the handrails with a disinfectant so I’m sure it was done in every corridor.  It was the first time in a year and a half I didn’t have an underlying fear of being with a lot people I didn’t know..

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

I went through the lido at different times throughout the day and do not recall anyone sitting at any on the tables during off hours. This may have been because there were only 900 passengers onboard giving everyone more room to spread out.

The tables in the area where the games are aren’t the only tables in the Crow’s Nest.  There are more tables in the larger open area.  They do need to get rid of the large map tables that I saw no one utilizing and that take up too much space.

As far as the knitters and stitchers, they have more than enough places to meet during the day especially in the morning. Our group first met at Billboard Onboard then I heard they moved to Dutch Cafe.

Thanks 👍. Not all ships are the Rotterdam and have a Dutch Cafe, etc.

Pretty sure our ship (not a Pinnacle Class) will be full by the time we sail which makes a huge difference but great to hear 👍 

57 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

The last thing HAL wanted was even one mild case of covid.  Besides the vaccination requirement, we were all given a deep dive test at the terminal prior to boarding. Then we were all given a rapid test 5 days into the cruise. Except when eating masks were worn indoors when moving about the ship. There were people standing at the entrance of the lido to make sure everyone washed their hands.  And I saw them in our hallway going over the handrails with a disinfectant so I’m sure it was done in every corridor.  It was the first time in a year and a half I didn’t have an underlying fear of being with a lot people I didn’t know..

I have no fear that hal will properly be cleaning the ship.  I’ve always felt they have done a good job at that, even pre covid.  Covid has a nasty way of finding it’s way in.  All passengers are fully vaccinated and need to provide a covid test.  Vaccines are not 100 percent.  I just don’t think gathering in large groups is a great idea even though I do see it often.  It’s not something I feel comfortable with.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, Minoushka said:

People did not take books …I always left mine …weight in luggage

On 11/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, sambamama said:

That was the corporate excuse for getting rid of the libraries?? The last I heard was that HAL was moving in a new direction. I doubt anyone stole books. Perhaps left them in their cabins. 

You really believe that? Even after we just had this thread on "how low can you go"?

I'm quite certain people took books home from the library and in fact I saw it done in the past -- not on HAL but on another cruise line that had a nice library, Voyages to Antiquity. One time after disembarking, there were many of us from the cruise on the same flight home. One woman was reading a book that clearly had the VTA library sticker on the back!

We enjoyed the library on our Rotterdam TA.

We had no problem finding good books.  Used it several times.  The cruise director was giving friendly reminders near the end of the cruise to return their books.....I do hope folks are not going to steal the books.  It's all on the honor system. 

I recall during a coffee chat, I think, that they commented that the vendor for the library was a small bookstore in Seattle.  

It's good to have the library back....we enjoyed it and used it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 8:16 PM, sansterre said:

I will take a photo of the reading area in the library.  Chairs are near large windows and not visible upon entering the library.

Glad to hear there is some seating and natural light.  Makes it more inviting to use the space as intended.  I'm optimistic that given time to build the collection that HAL will return to having decent lending libraries fleetwide!

• Like 1

I have little doubt that a take one leave one library of paperbacks would quickly build to be a substantial selection...all the cruise line needs to do is provide the shelves and a once a week or so an hour or two to keep it in order, throw away damaged books etc...it's not rocket science.

If theft is really a big deal then perhaps this is the answer?

https://www.wired.com/2002/05/tagging-books-to-prevent-theft/

• Like 1