Celebrity vs Royal - Pricing

ewo1992

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Diffrent strokes for.different  folks.

The  Diamond happy hours and music on Royal are excellent.,but  the  overall food and dining and shopping cannot compare to X,   We tried Oasis once...that was enough at any price! The smaller Royal ships were nice..loved R Class and Navigator,  but  they are aging now.. Celebrity EDGE class is outstanding.. no lines for events.

We are not drinkers but the  basic drink packages on X  give so much more than alcohol.. excellent tea, special coffees, water.

Glad we have choies!

Choice is great but regrettably that's exactly what Celebrity has chosen to remove. As Elite+ non alcohol drinkers our lattes, excellent teas and water were free now they cost us $70 per person per day. 240 mins Internet also previously free now  $30 per person per day. Before I get attacked again the figures shown are from Celebrity.

• Like 1

In future cycles things may change again on X.  They seem to do whatever it takes to increase bookings.   Recently  I see  more cruise only  options on X. Also OBC  on many booking offers.

We previously  liked the "better and best option plan," which worked out okay for us with 2 perks.( we would select Classic bev and tips)  E+  perks  covered enough internet for us plus the laundry bags. 

Have they removed the 90 min internet perk?

For our reecent booking we reserved a  suite ( 1st time) .we have  large fcc to use. ..so we pretty much have all the upgraded perks..we are going BEYOND!

We enjoy both lines for different reasons.  While RC might appear to be cheaper, on the Oasis class, you can get a nice Central Park View cabin for a very reasonable amount.  So much better then a dark small Celebrity cabin.   We however, like to add a drink package, internet,  tips, etc.  While we only have a 2 or three, alcoholic beverages in the afternoon, we enjoy special coffees, water and soda.

We find that the" all in"  with Celebrity for a balcony or suite is a better deal then Royal.  The entertainment on Royal Oasis class ships is excellent.  We enjoy all.  Food about equal IMO.  It isn't always about price, but what you want from your vacation.  We like to stay on the ships sometimes and it is nice to be able to enjoy multiple venues and activities in the day.

Bottom line both lines can be cost effective and offer a different experience. 

Edited by Cruise a holic

17 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

You do, every time I express mine.

Nothing wrong with difference of opinion.  I will keep expressing mine until Celebrity changes it policies.

I certainly understand the higher pricing for the all inclusive package and if you don't use the products that you are paying for it wouldn't be worth the money. However, Celebrity has been doing this for quite some time under different marketing themes and I don't expect them to change the policy unless bookings drop. Even Princess has started to offer a similar experience and it isn't going over well with the Elites on that board who trade the bar set up for a coffee card and were happy with the few free minutes of wifi they got.  

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 hours ago, hcat said:

In future cycles things may change again on X.  They seem to do whatever it takes to increase bookings.   Recently  I see  more cruise only  options on X. Also OBC  on many booking offers.

I think that has more to do with the current climate in terms of the pandemic.  I have seen some very attractive offers on other lines as well but I have no intention of booking until 48 hour testing and masks are eliminated plus it seems it's a crap shoot in terms of itinerary since they can change at a moments notice.  I'm not paying for that experience at any price even if it means that I never cruise again.

Edited by Iamcruzin

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think that has more to do with the current climate in terms of the pandemic.  I have seen some very attractive offers on other lines as well but I have no intention of booking until 48 hour testing and masks are eliminated plus it seems it's a crap shoot in terms of itinerary since they can change at a moments notice.  I'm not paying for that experience at any price even if it means that I never cruise again.

There is no mask requirement on board for US sailings with Celebrity.  Testing is mighty easy with the at home testing, but it does take a little extra expense.

I do hear you when it comes to the ports.  However, that concerns me very little when it comes to those in the Caribbean.  We've pretty much seen them all, and the ones we haven't seen won't make or break a cruise for us.  When it comes to the Caribbean, we're mostly cruising for the sake of cruising

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Agreed.. but we have a deadline for booking abd using up a big future cruise credit.. so we splurged on a BEYOND cruuse..only 5 dats and 2 ports in Mexico..not planning to get off unless we need  something at the pier in Cozumel.

Rules may change by next yr  so we went ahead..deposit was only $200 for 2 people

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I certainly understand the higher pricing for the all inclusive package and if you don't use the products that you are paying for it wouldn't be worth the money. However, Celebrity has been doing this for quite some time under different marketing themes and I don't expect them to change the policy unless bookings drop. Even Princess has started to offer a similar experience and it isn't going over well with the Elites on that board who trade the bar set up for a coffee card and were happy with the few free minutes of wifi they got.  

They haven't. All the other Celebrity promotions gave you a choice - you choose which bits you wanted or didn't want. AI is the first promotion that not only gives no real choice but actively penalises many of Celebrity's most loyal passengers - especially anyone who is Elite+ and doesn't drink alcohol.

I am not against packages of any sort (drinks, internet whatever) just against the removal of choice.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, the penguins said:

They haven't. All the other Celebrity promotions gave you a choice - you choose which bits you wanted or didn't want. AI is the first promotion that not only gives no real choice but actively penalises many of Celebrity's most loyal passengers - especially anyone who is Elite+ and doesn't drink alcohol.

I am not against packages of any sort (drinks, internet whatever) just against the removal of choice.

I think there should be choice as well. However if the cruise line can get away with it they will. CC is a very small representation of the cruising public. Most are are only looking for the deal of the day and not a long time commitment. I never fell prey to those loyalty programs which all seem to be bait and switch now as cruise lines start offering an AI experience. Most of these programs are just fluff anyway. Whether it's the airlines, Hotels, or Car Rental loyalty programs they all change sooner or later.  

Every time we book a cruise we pick the time frame we want to cruise first and the itinerary second. Then we compare similar length itineraries between Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity, and Royal. I've always wanted to cruise on Royal, but they have always been the most expensive and often unjustifiably so. I can't justify spending more on a similar cabin for Royal compared to Celebrity with the drink package or NCL with the drink and dining packages included. My last Celebrity cruise, if you compared to Carnival and also purchasing the drink package- was approx the same price per day. I haven't had any complaints about Celebrity's pricing. 

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

There is a filter on the website for Cruise Only rates. Plenty of options there. 

True except:

1) only for a very limited number of itineraries

2) only for guarantee cabins

3) the reductions are tiny - add back the tips and the reductions are usually a maximum of of $30 per person per day often less. AI pricing has added $100  per person per day for drinks and Internet of which you get $30 off leaving a profit for Celebrity of $70 per person per day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Every time we book a cruise we pick the time frame we want to cruise first and the itinerary second. Then we compare similar length itineraries between Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity, and Royal. I've always wanted to cruise on Royal, but they have always been the most expensive and often unjustifiably so. I can't justify spending more on a similar cabin for Royal compared to Celebrity with the drink package or NCL with the drink and dining packages included. My last Celebrity cruise, if you compared to Carnival and also purchasing the drink package- was approx the same price per day. I haven't had any complaints about Celebrity's pricing. 

Again you make my point you are choosing to add the drinks, Celebrity has removed that choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

Again you make my point you are choosing to add the drinks, Celebrity has removed that choice.

I wasn't really discussing your point. The point of the post is Celebrity vs royal pricing. Celebrity inclusive of drinks is still less than Royal without drinks, in my experience. Which makes it a hands down win. If the price is the price, why would I accept a no drinks cruise over a drinks inclusive cruise unless I saved money. 

The time I compared it to the price including adding drinks was Carnival. Not Royal.

22 minutes ago, the penguins said:

True except:

3) the reductions are tiny - add back the tips and the reductions are usually a maximum of of $30 per person per day often less. AI pricing has added $100  per person per day for drinks and Internet of which you get $30 off leaving a profit for Celebrity of $70 per person per day.

Oh no, they are looking to make a profit, dang capitalism!

36 minutes ago, the penguins said:

True except:

There are tons of sailings through at least July 2022 offered with a Simply Sale rate. You can always change your cabin once assigned. I know you like to post that $100 pp/pd figure but it's not quite accurate either. I've yet to see anyone book based on their own projected profit margin for the cruise line, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I wasn't really discussing your point. The point of the post is Celebrity vs royal pricing. Celebrity inclusive of drinks is still less than Royal without drinks, in my experience. Which makes it a hands down win. If the price is the price, why would I accept a no drinks cruise over a drinks inclusive cruise unless I saved money. 

The time I compared it to the price including adding drinks was Carnival. Not Royal.

All the cruises that I have checked in the past months have not show X having lower prices than Royal.  These were TA cruises or other long cruises, none in the Caribbean.

We prefer X, but won't pay significantly more over Royal.   We don't do Royal's mega ships.

Value can depend on what you are looking for in a cruise.   We don't cruise just to cruise.  We prefer long cruises after we have done some touring, in Europe, South America or Asia.

Others book based on the ship, we book more on itinerary and bottom line price.

We don't drink a lot of alcoholic drinks a day and doing drink specialty coffees, etc. or soda.  

I under stand why X and others, like NCL have done to bundled pricing, but it doesn't fit us well.

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

There are tons of sailings through at least July 2022 offered with a Simply Sale rate. You can always change your cabin once assigned. I know you like to post that $100 pp/pd figure but it's not quite accurate either. I've yet to see anyone book based on their own projected profit margin for the cruise line, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. 

In what way is it inaccurate?

Book with AI and you get a bundled price. Cancel the booking and Celebrity gives you a complete breakdown. Gratuity prices are published. All the figures quoted have been submitted to Celebrity who in turn have phoned me to discuss them. At no time has Celebrity disputed the figures. Simply Sail prices are supposedly with the tips, drinks and Internet removed. Add back the tips and the difference should be the drinks and Internet I.e. $100 per person per day but it's usually around $30 sometimes much less. Solo passengers fair even worse under AI as they pay for 2 lots of tips, 2 Internet packages and 2 drinks packages.

I can't say that Celebrity is always cheaper, because it's always "it depends" on the ship and the itinerary and how far in advance you book the cruise.

It does pay to compare apples to apples when doing mock bookings.  Similar itineraries.  Similar size ships.  Same "perks".  When I did that for our 30th, I was comparing a Celebrity to Royal cruise and the Royal itinerary was just that much better and was significantly cheaper.  So we went Royal.

You almost need a large spreadsheet to get a fully accurate "comparison".  For example, the included drink package on NCL didn't include all the stuff that I take for granted on Royal: specialty coffee, water, fresh squeezed juices, etc.  So, for me to compare, I have to know that and adjust pricing accordingly (add the cost of the upgrade to NCL's total).

But that's just price.  There are other things that matter: the ship, the ambiance, the entertainment, the other passengers.  All of those factor into it for us anyway.  So we do Celebrity when it's just hubby and I and save Royal for the big family and friends cruises.  Hubby and I are branching out though.  Can't compare all the non-tangibles if we haven't been on the other lines.  So we're doing Alaska on HAL and Mexico on Princess.  Such hard work!

I did a mock booking on two TA's, one on RCL and one on Celebrity. Assuming I would buy a drink package on RCL, I added that in along with tips.

13 Night on Celebrity with a big balcony Veranda stateroom and Indulge package is $5348 all in. This price also includes $800 OBC so the net cost is $4548.

13 Night on RCL with Spacious Balcony cabin is $3639....Drink package for two is $1638-$2314...tips for two is $377, high speed internet for two is $468. Total cost is $6122-$6798. The cost variance is due to me not knowing the exact price of the drink package (website says $63-$89 per day, per person).

So looking at the numbers, if you like the all in package on Celebrity, you can sail for about $2000 cheaper than RCL with the same inclusions. If you like to sail without any amenity, the RCL cruise would still cost $4016 and the Celebrity price would be $4100 and that includes Tips, Basic Internet and Classic Drink package.

Overall, I think Celebrity is quite a good value for cruisers that like to have the amenities.

• Like 1