MedallionNet: refundable or non-refundable OBC?

cr8tiv1

9 hours ago, Bgwest said:

@Steelers36give ‘em hell!!

I hope your efforts produce results. 

Tagging @cr8tiv1 and @Astro Flyer.

I just got off the phone with HQ.  I have some updates. 

First, the matter of Ref OBC will be looked into and I expect a further update.  It is incorrect if a ship is posting the 50% OBC as Non-Ref.

Next, the MC App is supposed to recognize CC Status and apply the discount as I originally posted and was informed.  That is also being looked into as we don't know if it is an IT oversight, an IT bug, or a delay by IT in doing the additional feature.  

As I have posted, applying the discount at point-of-purchase or providing a cash rebate as Ref OBC is equal treatment (although we'd all prefer to be charged the net cost up front and it's easier for Princess all-round).

As we know, the pre-cruise price is less than the on-board price.  However, here is a new nugget of info I had not been told before (and wouldn't it be nice if Princess posted all of these details on Princess.com to end the speculation, mis-information, confusion, and endless threads on CC??!!!). 

Supposedly, Princess is offering the pre-cruise price to anyone who books the Internet on DAY 1 on board.  This is similar to the "old days" when there was special pricing on embarkation day (DAY 1) and it was also the best pricing for those of us eligible for discount.  So, those folks who want to use OBC to pay for Internet should be comfortable to wait for DAY 1 and order on board at $10/day (1-device) and the $15/day rate begins on DAY 2 of each voyage. 

How do you like that?  I will get this info posted on MC APP #3 Sticky Thread and on another Internet thread I think is around.

As I am posting this, I am going to send a follow-up email and suggest Princess document the internet policies and pricing on Princess.com.  I can see it now - someone is going to show up on a ship and order internet on Day 1 and the IC Mgr is going to try and charge them $15 and all the guest can say is "But, Steelers36 said you are supposed to charge me $10!!'.

Perhaps one of you guys on board can ask the IT Mgr if his pricing is $10 on embarkation day and then $15 after that?  Thanks.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Tagging @cr8tiv1 and @Astro Flyer.

I just got off the phone with HQ.  I have some updates. 

First, the matter of Ref OBC will be looked into and I expect a further update.  It is incorrect if a ship is posting the 50% OBC as Non-Ref.

Next, the MC App is supposed to recognize CC Status and apply the discount as I originally posted and was informed.  That is also being looked into as we don't know if it is an IT oversight, an IT bug, or a delay by IT in doing the additional feature.  

As I have posted, applying the discount at point-of-purchase or providing a cash rebate as Ref OBC is equal treatment (although we'd all prefer to be charged the net cost up front and it's easier for Princess all-round).

As we know, the pre-cruise price is less than the on-board price.  However, here is a new nugget of info I had not been told before (and wouldn't it be nice if Princess posted all of these details on Princess.com to end the speculation, mis-information, confusion, and endless threads on CC??!!!). 

Supposedly, Princess is offering the pre-cruise price to anyone who books the Internet on DAY 1 on board.  This is similar to the "old days" when there was special pricing on embarkation day (DAY 1) and it was also the best pricing for those of us eligible for discount.  So, those folks who want to use OBC to pay for Internet should be comfortable to wait for DAY 1 and order on board at $10/day (1-device) and the $15/day rate begins on DAY 2 of each voyage. 

How do you like that?  I will get this info posted on MC APP #3 Sticky Thread and on another Internet thread I think is around.

As I am posting this, I am going to send a follow-up email and suggest Princess document the internet policies and pricing on Princess.com.  I can see it now - someone is going to show up on a ship and order internet on Day 1 and the IC Mgr is going to try and charge them $15 and all the guest can say is "But, Steelers36 said you are supposed to charge me $10!!'.

Perhaps one of you guys on board can ask the IT Mgr if his pricing is $10 on embarkation day and then $15 after that?  Thanks.

Superb sleuthing @Steelers36!!

thanks for your efforts. 

I do hope they simply apply the 50% discount shoreside at the time of purchase. That will surely make everyone’s life easier. I also like the idea of 50% off on embarkation day like it was done “in the old days”. The internet mgr here on board the Emerald will be gone by the time I’m able to get there today but I will ask him about the embarkation day discount tomorrow and will report back. 

lastly, in follow up to my inquiry this morning over breakfast to the Hotel Manager, I received a call a couple of hours later from the on board Controller who advised me that the 50% OBC is returned as a REFUNDABLE. This despite the fact that our OBC on this very cruise was returned as NON Refundable. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I asked him if this is policy fleet wide. He said yes it is. I mentioned to him that I’d heard from other passengers currently aboard the Majestic and the Grand and that each was told something different. 

it appears that it’s all moving toward refundable. Perhaps soon everyone will be working from the same playbook. 😃

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

lastly, in follow up to my inquiry this morning over breakfast to the Hotel Manager, I received a call a couple of hours later from the on board Controller who advised me that the 50% OBC is returned as a REFUNDABLE. This despite the fact that our OBC on this very cruise was returned as NON Refundable. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I asked him if this is policy fleet wide. He said yes it is. I mentioned to him that I’d heard from other passengers currently aboard the Majestic and the Grand and that each was told something different. 

it appears that it’s all moving toward refundable. Perhaps soon everyone will be working from the same playbook. 😃

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!!

I just this minute spoke with the internet manager on the Emerald. 

When I asked him if the pre-cruise price would have been available to someone who chose to book a full voyage internet package on Embarkation Day on this cruise or similarity to someone boarding a future cruise who chose to book on Embarkation Day, he said no it would not. 

Pre-cruise pricing is limited to shoreside purchase prior to the cruise. 

the 50% loyalty discount is available regardless of when the purchase is made but if purchased on board, even on Embarkation Day, the “base price” from which the discount is taken would be more than the “base price” when purchased shoreside pre-cruise. 

We discussed “the old days” before the pause and he was well aware of the fact that the lower “base price” was offered on Embarkation Day but said this no longer exists. 

this is all I know at this moment. Accurate or not, who knows!!

Almost the same information I received a few minutes ago from Internet manager,

50% off pre-Cruise #10 rate or 50% off onboard rate of $15.  No such thing as first day discount.

But there is a $10 a day, no discount” rate any day. 

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

50% off pre-Cruise #10 rate or 50% off onboard rate of $15.  No such thing as first day discount.

For a five day cruise I was pre charged $49.95. Second day on board I had a $10 credit, so I talked to them and they said that they would check it. Two days later I had another $14.95 credit nonrefundable. 

For my next cruise it was worth it to book Princess Plus. 

Edited by CruzDayz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I just this minute spoke with the internet manager on the Emerald. 

When I asked him if the pre-cruise price would have been available to someone who chose to book a full voyage internet package on Embarkation Day on this cruise or similarity to someone boarding a future cruise who chose to book on Embarkation Day, he said no it would not. 

Pre-cruise pricing is limited to shoreside purchase prior to the cruise. 

the 50% loyalty discount is available regardless of when the purchase is made but if purchased on board, even on Embarkation Day, the “base price” from which the discount is taken would be more than the “base price” when purchased shoreside pre-cruise. 

We discussed “the old days” before the pause and he was well aware of the fact that the lower “base price” was offered on Embarkation Day but said this no longer exists. 

this is all I know at this moment. Accurate or not, who knows!!

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thanks to you both for the reports.  Am I correct that @cr8tiv1 is on Grand?  

I cannot say I am surprised about them saying no pre-cruise pricing on DAY 1.  This was a new twist for me in speaking with HQ.  I will send a follow-up note as only one storyline can be true. 

I am still in doubt, because it was certainly true that these IC Mgr's were not quite aware of new policies and such for internet at first.  So, who knows what the final answer is.

As for the $10 rate any day - this makes NO sense to me since the on board rate is $15.  Why would anyone book the full cruise for $15/day when they can get it "any day" for $10?  This individual per-day rate is supposed to be $20.  Of course, that would be subject to 50% discount if eligible.  Same thing for the $15 rate for full voyage - it becomes $7.50 with discount. 

Obviously - until this is nailed down - it is safest to pre-book and then you know the pricing is $10 (net of $5 after discount rebate received). 

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

As for the $10 rate any day - this makes NO sense to me since the on board rate is $15.  Why would anyone book the full cruise for $15/day when they can get it "any day" for $10?  $10 (net of $5 after discount rebate received). 

They cannot get it onboard any day for $10, only (supposedly) on the first day.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, Steelers36 said:

On 10/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, Steelers36 said:

I can see it now - someone is going to show up on a ship and order internet on Day 1 and the IC Mgr is going to try and charge them $15 and all the guest can say is "But, Steelers36 said you are supposed to charge me $10!!'.

I do not know why that would not work.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

They cannot get it onboard any day for $10, only (supposedly) on the first day.

I was referring to a statement supposedly made by an IC Mgr on board.  Regardless, I am hopeful this internet thing will get resolved soon and and be consistent across the fleet.  I may not hear back until next week since Ruby is out on a test run with some Princess employees.

Trying to stay ahead of it all, we’ve pre-purchased internet for both our Dec cruise on the CB and for our Jan cruise on the Grand. 

if in the interim they decide to allow the pre-cruise rate on embarkation day, we will cancel so that we can use OBC to make the purchase on embarkation day. 

Thanks to all for continuing to push this matter to the forefront. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Trying to stay ahead of it all, we’ve pre-purchased internet for both our Dec cruise on the CB and for our Jan cruise on the Grand. 

if in the interim they decide to allow the pre-cruise rate on embarkation day, we will cancel so that we can use OBC to make the purchase on embarkation day. 

Thanks to all for continuing to push this matter to the forefront. 

Smart thinking there.  Keeping your options open.

@Steelers36, yes, I am currently on the Grand.  I repeated his rate:  you can purchase the Internet by the day for $10/day.  No discount, no additional non-refundable OBC.  Buy it on Monday and Friday or whenever you need it.  

it would be so much easier if they had one plan for loyalty members and one for others.  It would be nice if they allowed you to purchase with OBC prior to cruise (think: excursions).

wow…lost post, but saved by cc.  Ha Ha

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Steelers36, yes, I am currently on the Grand.  I repeated his rate:  you can purchase the Internet by the day for $10/day.  No discount, no additional non-refundable OBC.  Buy it on Monday and Friday or whenever you need it.  

it would be so much easier if they had one plan for loyalty members and one for others.  It would be nice if they allowed you to purchase with OBC prior to cruise (think: excursions).

wow…lost post, but saved by cc.  Ha Ha

I wonder if he told you $10 since he knows your would have a discount?  The price for single-day bookings is supposed to be $20. 

What will be nice is when this is consistently known and applied across the fleet and matches what HQ says it should be.  Also, Princess needs to publish the pricing on Princess.com and also put the details of how the discount works on Princess.com.  The lack of clear documentation just leads to confusion and more questions and debate.

• Like 2

Hello I am booked on the Sky Princess for March 22 2022 FLL-Southampton. All this talk about pre-booking the internet has me looking at my Cruise Personalizer. When I went into to look at where I can pre-purchase the internet package, I was not able to locate it. Can someone please enlighten me as to where the pre-purchase is located? Also can someone tell me what it cost to purchase the internet package. Does it differ from ship to ship or is the pricing fleet wide? As far as the pricing goes, since losing the free internet minutes, I was told that there would be a discount for purchasing the internet. How does this work? Thank you for your replies. Have a great day.

12 minutes ago, diverward said:

Hello I am booked on the Sky Princess for March 22 2022 FLL-Southampton. All this talk about pre-booking the internet has me looking at my Cruise Personalizer. When I went into to look at where I can pre-purchase the internet package, I was not able to locate it. Can someone please enlighten me as to where the pre-purchase is located? Also can someone tell me what it cost to purchase the internet package. Does it differ from ship to ship or is the pricing fleet wide? As far as the pricing goes, since losing the free internet minutes, I was told that there would be a discount for purchasing the internet. How does this work? Thank you for your replies. Have a great day.

Pre-booking the Internet packages has moved to the MC App.  You will find that option there.  You will be offered the 1-device plan or the 4-device plan.  It is best for all guests to pre-order the internet since pricing is less pre-cruise than on-board.  If you are eligible for a discount, you get it both pre-cruise purchase or on-board purchase.  Right now, if you purchase pre-cruise, you pay the full price and you  get the 50% discount amount applied to your cabin account as  refundable OBC.  If you purchase on board, they just charge you the net 50%.  You get the discount if Platinum or Elite Captain's Circle.

Pricing policy is fleet-wide (although there has been some confusion on start-up of recent ships which should get cleared up soon).  Also, the intention is that the MC App will recognize CC status and only bill guests the net cost, rather than charge in full and then rebate back 50%.

Pricing:                 Pre-Cruise                    On-Board

1-Device               $10/day                         $15/day

4-Devices             $20/day                         $25/day

Ad-Hoc Sgl Day         N/A                           $20/day

With either package, you can use multiple devices, but will need to sign out of one if the maximum active devices has been reached.  TIP:  A couple may as well book the 4-device plan since it costs the same as two 1-device plans (assuming they might want to be online at the same time).

ETA:  If you are having trouble with the MC App, you can call in to Princess and order the internet over the phone.

Edited by Steelers36

17 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Pre-booking the Internet packages has moved to the MC App.  You will find that option there.  You will be offered the 1-device plan or the 4-device plan.  It is best for all guests to pre-order the internet since pricing is less pre-cruise than on-board.  If you are eligible for a discount, you get it both pre-cruise purchase or on-board purchase.  Right now, if you purchase pre-cruise, you pay the full price and you  get the 50% discount amount applied to your cabin account as  refundable OBC.  If you purchase on board, they just charge you the net 50%.  You get the discount if Platinum or Elite Captain's Circle.

Pricing policy is fleet-wide (although there has been some confusion on start-up of recent ships which should get cleared up soon).  Also, the intention is that the MC App will recognize CC status and only bill guests the net cost, rather than charge in full and then rebate back 50%.

Pricing:                 Pre-Cruise                    On-Board

1-Device               $10/day                         $15/day

4-Devices             $20/day                         $25/day

Ad-Hoc Sgl Day         N/A                           $20/day

With either package, you can use multiple devices, but will need to sign out of one if the maximum active devices has been reached.  TIP:  A couple may as well book the 4-device plan since it costs the same as two 1-device plans (assuming they might want to be online at the same time).

ETA:  If you are having trouble with the MC App, you can call in to Princess and order the internet over the phone.

Also, if you have booked with PrincessPlus pricing, you already have paid for the Internet package for each person in your cabin.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Also, the intention is that the MC App will recognize CC status and only bill guests the net cost, rather than charge in full and then rebate back 50%.

Good morning thank you for your complete explanation. Just the one question with the above quote. Is the intention you mentioned here not implemented yet and I am paying the full now and when I get on board 50% of the cost will be returned to me as an on board credit? I have looked at the MC App and they are now charging me CDN$198.00 for the sixteen day cruise which is US$160.00. And by your reasoning I should get back back US$80.00 when I get on board and get it as a refundable credit in my account? Again thanks for your help. By the way I am not on the PrincessPlus plan. Have a very good day. 

3 hours ago, diverward said:

Good morning thank you for your complete explanation. Just the one question with the above quote. Is the intention you mentioned here not implemented yet and I am paying the full now and when I get on board 50% of the cost will be returned to me as an on board credit? I have looked at the MC App and they are now charging me CDN$198.00 for the sixteen day cruise which is US$160.00. And by your reasoning I should get back back US$80.00 when I get on board and get it as a refundable credit in my account? Again thanks for your help. By the way I am not on the PrincessPlus plan. Have a very good day. 

Yes.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MJC said:

Where in the app can one prepay for internet? I cannot find where to purchase anything in the app. I am using an Android tablet, if that makes a difference.

You scroll down to MedallionNet and open it. That will give you options. I have an iPhone.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

As of November 1, 2021, 50% "refund" for being platinum or elite was NON-refundable OBC.  This was on the Grand Princess.  Has anyone else challenged or have verification that it is refundable OBC?

On Majestic my MedallionNet refund was not marked as “non-refundable” but it also was not included in the list of “refundable” credit which only had my military credit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruzDayz said:

You scroll down to MedallionNet and open it. That will give you options. I have an iPhone.

I don't have MedallionNet as an option on the app. Is that only when you're on board?