MedallionNet: refundable or non-refundable OBC?

cr8tiv1

I know this has been mentioned in several live threads.  I started this thread specific to MedallionNet.

On board account is showing 50% credit for MedallionNet purchase.  Account is not reflecting it as refundable.  But I am using crew chat to get a definitive (is there such a thing?) answer.  They will get back to me in the morning.  First reply says I am getting a “discount”. I replied that if I was getting a discount, it should have applied at purchase…oops?  

How was Majestic Alaska MedallionNet purchases handled?  I know Grand was/is having a problem.  

i thought Princess was working on a plan to have purchase reflect 50% discount upon payment while on board.

I am hoping to get documentation from passengers that refund is refundable OBC.  If memory recalls, I was told by CSR that it would be refundable OBC.  I can’t find it on any Princess document.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

On board account is showing 50% credit for MedallionNet purchase.  Account is not reflecting it as refundable. 

Is it showing it as non-refundable or just not giving any status to it?

A printout from the Guest Services desk or from the do-it-yourself kiosk should indicate which OBCs you have are non-refundable.

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I know this has been mentioned in several live threads.  I started this thread specific to MedallionNet.

On board account is showing 50% credit for MedallionNet purchase.  Account is not reflecting it as refundable.  But I am using crew chat to get a definitive (is there such a thing?) answer.  They will get back to me in the morning.  First reply says I am getting a “discount”. I replied that if I was getting a discount, it should have applied at purchase…oops?  

How was Majestic Alaska MedallionNet purchases handled?  I know Grand was/is having a problem.  

i thought Princess was working on a plan to have purchase reflect 50% discount upon payment while on board.

I am hoping to get documentation from passengers that refund is refundable OBC.  If memory recalls, I was told by CSR that it would be refundable OBC.  I can’t find it on any Princess document.  

More than one guest from Majestic Alaska voyages indicated Refundable OBC for pre-purchase.  This matches policy.  Supposedly, when MedallionNet ordering was added to MC App, it was supposed to recognize guest status and apply the discount right then and only charge the 50% net cost.  That seems to be a future enhancement now (or perhaps abandoned - I'd like to find out this week). 

If you wait until on-board and pay the higher internet pricing, they only bill you the net 50%, so to be fair the pre-purchase refund credit has to be Refundable.  And in the Captain's Circle benefits, it is described as a refund credit - same thing applies to pre-purchase of shore excursions with the 10% discount.

Sometimes we all wish Princess would use direct language and make it crystal clear what the situation is.  It would save a lot of questions and debate on CC.  😉

I can only speak to our current experience on the Emerald. 

The MN OBC we received was in an incorrect amount and definitely NON-Refundable.  When I spoke to the Internet manager he added a Goodwill Credit of $100 to our account that IS refundable. 

Who knows what the answer to this mess might be. I’m eager to hear the experiences of other cruisers during this restart. 

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Different people seem to be having different results.

Maybe this thread should be a poll?

• Like 1

The thing is there is a company policy and it needs to be consistent across the fleet.  I just believe there are some start-up and training issues, based on what I have read.  Unfortunately, I cannot call up the ship and talk to the IC Mgr, and the CC Host(ess).

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Unfortunately, I cannot call up the ship and talk to the IC Mgr, and the CC Host(ess).

If you could, you’d surely get different answers from different ships. 
Al least until they all are given the same play sheet. 

Update:

went straight to the source: Captain Circle Representative Barbara. 

I showed her my account printout and let her know that I was very confused.  MedNet is showing with NO non-refundable label…hence, it “should be” refundable.  But under total, there are spots for refundable AND non-refundable credits.  Nothing is showing under refundable and ALL OBC is listed as non-refundable.

She suggested I talk to the Internet manager.  I told her I already did and he told me to talk to the front desk, which I already did too.

Hence my last resort was to come to her.  

*She said the policy should be across the fleet.  If Majestic had it as refundable, the Grand should too.

*She said it is  refundable credit If pre-ordered at 50%

*She said the accounting system needs to be corrected 

*She said she will get back to me with the corrections.  

More wait and see.  Looks encouraging. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Update:

I showed her my account printout and let her know that I was very confused.  MedNet is showing with NO non-refundable label…hence, it “should be” refundable.  But under total, there are spots for refundable AND non-refundable credits.  Nothing is showing under refundable and ALL OBC is listed as non-refundable.

She suggested I talk to the Internet manager.  I told her I already did and he told me to talk to the front desk, which I already did too.

*She said the policy should be across the fleet.  If Majestic had it as refundable, the Grand should too.

On behalf of your fellow guests on the ship (not me) and those that will follow (me some day), thank your for pursuing this and getting to the bottom of it.  Looks like a fix is on the way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

On behalf of your fellow guests on the ship (not me) and those that will follow (me some day), thank your for pursuing this and getting to the bottom of it.  Looks like a fix is on the way.

Don’t give me credit just yet…work in progress.

So this may happen on each ship as they restart since apparently the memo didn't get to Accounting or internet manager?  What kind of customer service is this that they ask the customer using their valuable vacation time to first chase down the internet manager, then to front desk before the Captain Circle host would intervene?

• Like 1

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Update:

By Golly, I think you are on to something. 

The only potential fly in the ointment may be that when they arrive at a consistent fleeteide treatment on the matter, it may be that it all comes down to a final decree that this particular OBC will now and forevermore be treated as NON Refundable. 

I tend to default to being a “glass half full” kinda person so I stay positive about this and hope for the best. 

thanks for your efforts in carrying the torch on this!

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 2

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Off to dinner.  Long story short, just received a call from Anna (customer service), MedNet loyalty discount is NON-REFUNDABLE.  Digest that one!

We’ll, there’s the consistency we hoped we wouldn’t see.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Nuts, I say.  I am going to follow up on this one.  Did they contact HQ?

@Bgwest and @cr8tiv1, I just sent an email (marked urgent if that will help) to Director, CR at HQ asking for clarification as I was told by him that the OBC for pre-purchase was Refundable.  It only makes sense - and fair-play - since ordering on board is like getting cash back since guest only charged the net cost after discount.  I indicated to him in the email that both Grand and Emerald just starting back first voyages seemed to have confused IC Mgr (at least one ship) on pricing and amount of discount.  I mentioned a guest spoke with CC Hostess who was going to take care of it, but PSD claims Non-Refundable.  Who is right?  IDK.  Has there been a policy change since Majestic started up?  IDK.  I'd like to know and get to bottom of this.  I will post an answer when I get one, but I suggested he get in touch with the ships to let them know.  

I don't like it for my fellow Princess customers since it isn't equal treatment for pre- and post- purchasing.  I also mentioned in the email that shore excursions should be same thing (10%). 

I also noted that he had not responded to my last inquiry about MC App ordering as I was told that the App was going to recognize our status and only bill us the net cost.  Perhaps that is a future enhancement and they couldn't do it when adding the purchase feature.  Again, this would eliminate the issue of Ref versus Non-Ref.  

It bugs me when get info from person in authority and rug is pulled out a short while later. 

ETA:  Email kicked back with auto-reply that he is out of office until NOV 1.  Darn it.  But I will try one of his senior team members.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

@Bgwest and @cr8tiv1, I just sent an email (marked urgent if that will help) to Director, CR at HQ asking for clarification as I was told by him that the OBC for pre-purchase was Refundable.  It only makes sense - and fair-play - since ordering on board is like getting cash back since guest only charged the net cost after discount.  I indicated to him in the email that both Grand and Emerald just starting back first voyages seemed to have confused IC Mgr (at least one ship) on pricing and amount of discount.  I mentioned a guest spoke with CC Hostess who was going to take care of it, but PSD claims Non-Refundable.  Who is right?  IDK.  Has there been a policy change since Majestic started up?  IDK.  I'd like to know and get to bottom of this.  I will post an answer when I get one, but I suggested he get in touch with the ships to let them know.  

I don't like it for my fellow Princess customers since it isn't equal treatment for pre- and post- purchasing.  I also mentioned in the email that shore excursions should be same thing (10%). 

I also noted that he had not responded to my last inquiry about MC App ordering as I was told that the App was going to recognize our status and only bill us the net cost.  Perhaps that is a future enhancement and they couldn't do it when adding the purchase feature.  Again, this would eliminate the issue of Ref versus Non-Ref.  

It bugs me when get info from person in authority and rug is pulled out a short while later. 

ETA:  Email kicked back with auto-reply that he is out of office until NOV 1.  Darn it.  But I will try one of his senior team members.

@Steelers36give ‘em hell!!

I hope your efforts produce results. 

• Like 1

Just had a long conversation with Helmut, the Hotel Manager, discussing among other things this entire matter.  He wrote it all down in his notebook and promised he’d get back with me with a definitive answer. 

i stressed that as a group, we’ve received conflicting answers to the same question. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Just had a long conversation with Helmut, the Hotel Manager, discussing among other things this entire matter.  He wrote it all down in his notebook and promised he’d get back with me with a definitive answer. 

i stressed that as a group, we’ve received conflicting answers to the same question. 

Good.  Maybe he will also check with HQ.

Edited by Steelers36

Just to be clear, at this point, i am pursuing this out of principle.  I will have used up all earned OBC on this b2b for automatic gratuities/crew incentives.  That’s not the point.  Princess needs to define this policy for everyone.  What is good for the goose, should be good for the gander.  Is that asking too much?

• Like 2

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Just to be clear, at this point, i am pursuing this out of principle.  I will have used up all earned OBC on this b2b for automatic gratuities/crew incentives.  That’s not the point.  Princess needs to define this policy for everyone.  What is good for the goose, should be good for the gander.  Is that asking too much?

👍

• Like 1

It was refundable on the Majestic for me in August. I used it up because I did not have Princess Plus. I'm hoping it will also show up as refundable when I'm on the Caribbean in December. The better thing, though, would be for Princess to fix it so that Platinum and Elite passengers paid 50% initially instead of paying full price ahead of time and relying on onboard credit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, geoherb said:

It was refundable on the Majestic for me in August. I used it up because I did not have Princess Plus. I'm hoping it will also show up as refundable when I'm on the Caribbean in December. The better thing, though, would be for Princess to fix it so that Platinum and Elite passengers paid 50% initially instead of paying full price ahead of time and relying on onboard credit.

Currently on Majestic it’s not marked as “non-refundable” but isn’t included in the “Total Refundable” total. 🙄

Yes…we should only need to pay the 50% off price pre-cruise or even better when boarding the ship.

It’s so frustrating to get this runaround from Princess! 😳

• Like 1