Ship employee requests.

codeyell0

25 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Watch Chris Wong's videos- so far, he's only been able to get off at CocoCay.  No other port.  And he's been on the ship for many months (one entire month spend in his cabin by himself).

I get that you and others don't care- that's fine.  But why the vitriol for people who want to do something nice for another person?   What makes it such a big deal to you if your neighbor wants to bring chips on a ship for their room steward?  

IMHO, the time wasters here are the ones actually trying to make arguments that one should do a darned thing.  As opposed to being nice, and keeping the option of working on a cruise ship more appealing.

But if you want to waste your time trying to convince people to not be nice to other people- go for it.  Just make sure you ID yourself getting on a ship so that we can keep a wide berth.  I want to have fun.

So you agree with the person that leaving half used toothpaste and listerine is a nice thing to do for the crew.

Tipping generously so that the crew can buy what THEY want and need is being nice.  There is a difference between a gift, like the chips that a crew member said they missed, bought on the fly, vs planning on bringing random cheap hygiene items from the dollar store or leaving your half used stuff that you don't want to carry home.  The former is an actual gift. The second is just self serving to stroke you own ego.  The employees are not a charity case that need donations. That is insulting. Think of yourself. Would you prefer a bottle of cheap shampoo from the Dollar Store and a half used bottle of Listerine that you can get from the Employee store (well not the half used bottle of Listerine) or some extra cash to order that luxury Nexxus shampoo you love so much from Amazon but don't usually have the money to buy and can have the following week when back in home port?

Which is nicer. I always thought a gift was for the recipient not to make the giver feel good.  

Edited by cured
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

You tell me. 

what do you mean - "you tell me"? I asked if your "several trips" have happened after the restart of the cruising. How am I supposed to tell you this?

I am wondering whether the trips you have mentioned happened before the pandemic when the staff could get off the ship unrestrained in any location where their day off happened to be. That's not what a couple of people on the first page (and just above) of this thread said about post-restart port access. They mentioned "bubble shopping trips" and drawing straws.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I watched a small bit of one of her videos. She's in a balcony cabin and is filming the laundry form. I'm thinking she has more perks than the assistant waiter. Their parents will meet her as guests on the same ship.

That is not a typical ship employee.

I agree that cash is always best. But the one time that my phone had endless internet in port (2013) and a waiter could connect to my phone to talk to his family was one of the best experiences ever. He walked around endlessly with a tray full of stuff with his hidden phone, talking to his wife and kids, who waved hello. Longest lunch ever 🙂

All employees brought back before guests were given guest cabins.  Once guests were onboard they were moved back to crew cabins.  Jordan now shares a crew cabin with another ice skater.   Actually watch her videos and pay attention.  What you did was kind of like reading a headline and not the article.  wow.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Its not the chips, or wanting to do something nice for the crew. These are lovely gestures.

Its expecting that the crew will appreciate that used toothpaste tubes, tampons, and  leftover shampoo, are acceptable. This is terrible, would you not agree ?

I agree, but in all fairness, I never said anything about USED TAMPONS. Or anything used or leftover for that matter.

I offered to find out what a particular crew member may want or need and get it for them beforehand.

A locally purchased bottle of shampoo or hair color may cost half of what the Amazon charges. Not to mention that Amazon often has fake or expired products, and it would be a hassle for the crew members to return it.

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I agree, but in all fairness, I never said anything about USED TAMPONS. Or anything used or leftover for that matter.

I offered to find out what a particular crew member may want or need and get it for them beforehand.

A locally purchased bottle of shampoo or hair color may cost half of what the Amazon charges. Not to mention that Amazon often has fake or expired products, and it would be a hassle for the crew members to return it.

I buy from Amazon a lot and they do not often have "expired or fake".  Do your homework about the products and you'd know that.    That isn't even the point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BND said:

I buy from Amazon a lot and they do not often have "expired or fake".  Do your homework about the products and you'd know that.    That isn't even the point.  

I do the homework by reading the reviews, and that's how I know that the products they sell are often fake or expired. That's why I don't buy them. But do the crew members have unlimited fast internet access to read all of the reviews before they buy something on Amazon?

I guess not. Once again, someone is not quite putting themselves in someone else's shoes.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I do the homework by reading the reviews, and that's how I know that the products they sell are often fake or expired. That's why I don't buy them. But do the crew members have unlimited fast internet access to read all of the reviews before they buy something on Amazon?

I guess not.

Sigh, once again you miss the entire point.  

BTW, Amazon is not the only site they can order from.  You do know that, right?

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Just now, BND said:

Sigh, once again you miss the entire point.  

I get it - you don't want to care or know about any of the crew members' wants or needs. You just want to vacation and not worry about anything else. And that's fine, that is definitely your right. But you are missing the entire point of the original post.

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I guess not. Once again, someone is not quite putting themselves in someone else's shoes.

You are talking about purchasing from Amazon sellers, not Amazon proper.  There is a huge difference.  Amazon sellers are nothing more than less monitored Ebay.

The Amazon delivery guy checks on us when we don't have at least 3 packages a day.  (JK)  But we do order or receive something almost daily. I am ashamed to admit I have helped propel Bezos to his billionaire status. But during covid, it has become our most reliable service after first trying to find something local. I received 2 packages today and placed 3 orders for delivery later this week. I have NEVER received a fake or expired product.

Today I ordered a sublimation printer. I did check all the local outfits first but there was nothing in stock.  They would have to order and it would be a couple of weeks.  Amazon will have it at my house on Friday.

And according to several employee vlogs, they do get free internet.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I get it - you don't want to care or know about any of the crew members' wants or needs. You just want to vacation and not worry about anything else. And that's fine, that is definitely your right. But you are missing the entire point of the original post.

Nope.  I think most of us here see the reality.  Take a step back and think for a minute.

We are very generous but do not begin to  think it's our place to decide what others need.  We have enough big brother in our lives.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Do the people who go to the Dollar store and buy soap and toothpaste know the crew members wants and needs before they board? Or are they assuming just to make themselves feel good.  

If a crew member tells you something on board that they really miss and you spontaneously go out and find it for them in a port, that is a gift and completely different than planning a charity donation, packing your suitcase with stuff similar to what you would give to your local food bank.  That is not a gift, that is an ego booster.

Edited by cured
  • Like 4

This is not where I wanted this to go.  It was meant to be.  Something to help the cruise ship employees. They work long hours.  
No they can not always leave the ship.  This depends on what you do.  
Many  crew are working while at port.  Just because they are in Miami or Cozumel doesn't mean everyone can leave.  

The ship has items available. but not everything.  Everyone has different needs or wants.  

You want to leave cash leave cash. This discussion is for those who want to know what they can do to help out.
I know what its like to want something and can't get it.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cured said:

Do the people who go to the Dollar store and buy soap and toothpaste know the crew members wants and needs before they board? Or are they assuming just to make themselves feel good.  

If a crew member tells you something on board that they really miss and you spontaneously go out and find it for them in a port, that is a gift and completely different than planning a charity donation, packing your suitcase with stuff similar to what you would give to your local food bank.  That is not a gift, that is an ego booster.

BTW in my discussions with crew members they will say we do not get specific products.  
IF you don't want to assist don't.  
But what is it to know that employees would like x y and z and grab it while cruise shopping?

No one is forcing you to do anything.  

There are over 1000 employees on board each ship… how in the world is a thread

of people mentioning random things that one specific crew member liked helpful in any way? My room attendant might like bbq potato chips, yours might hate them. 

personally I think planning to bring dollar store crap is a little facetious and just a waste… if you want to help them, open your wallet. And if your waiter tells you he really misses bbq chips because they’re not available on the ship, sure it’s nice to go and buy it in the port. But to plan to bring some dollar store lotions or toothpaste? Why? That’s just stroking your own ego to make yourself feel good. 

The only time we ever bought anything for crew members was when we were sailing a week after my dad had a massive heart attack on a cruise, the medical staff and guest services were absolutely phenomenal. He was doing well by the time of our cruise, and he told us to go, it was the same ship. So we bought a few large boxes of chocolates and wrote a thank you card for the medical staff and the staff at guest services. They apparently passed the notes around all the way up to the captain, and hung it up on a bulletin board in the crew area. We got treated amazingly on that cruise, and I couldn’t understand why until our room steward told us that the card was hanging up and everyone read it 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, soozles said:

There are over 1000 employees on board each ship… how in the world is a thread

of people mentioning random things that one specific crew member liked helpful in any way? My room attendant might like bbq potato chips, yours might hate them. 

personally I think planning to bring dollar store crap is a little facetious and just a waste… if you want to help them, open your wallet. And if your waiter tells you he really misses bbq chips because they’re not available on the ship, sure it’s nice to go and buy it in the port. But to plan to bring some dollar store lotions or toothpaste? Why? That’s just stroking your own ego to make yourself feel good. 

The only time we ever bought anything for crew members was when we were sailing a week after my dad had a massive heart attack on a cruise, the medical staff and guest services were absolutely phenomenal. He was doing well by the time of our cruise, and he told us to go, it was the same ship. So we bought a few large boxes of chocolates and wrote a thank you card for the medical staff and the staff at guest services. They apparently passed the notes around all the way up to the captain, and hung it up on a bulletin board in the crew area. We got treated amazingly on that cruise, and I couldn’t understand why until our room steward told us that the card was hanging up and everyone read it 

And that's a normal response.  They helped your father with his medical issue. The others posting about crew miss the point entirely.  You were thanking them for a very specific issue.  Some on here are just stroking their own egos and others are assuaging some guilt they feel.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Not a single part of this paragraph is true.

I order from Amazon multiple times a week and have things delivered to wherever I am all over the  country.  Amazon marketplace is buyer beware but the vast majority of items are available directly from Amazon and you a high degree of certainty that items are authentic and priced very competitively.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I get it, a few cheap dollar store trinkets are way cheaper than actual cash tips and provide you with more self gratification.  Some of actually care about these employees and tip accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Not a single part of this paragraph is true.

I order from Amazon multiple times a week and have things delivered to wherever I am all over the  country.  Amazon marketplace is buyer beware but the vast majority of items are available directly from Amazon and you a high degree of certainty that items are authentic and priced very competitively.

I currently have three orders that will be delivered soon.  I also order several times a week, everything from clothes to hygiene products for cruising  to just things for our home.  I've been dealing with a knee injury and  now healed ankle break for two years. I have ordered so many things from Amazon and only returned a couple and that was because they didn't fit lol.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

I have only left something used for a cabin attendant once. I always bring a small blanket to use while watching tv and our attendant commented a few times how much she liked it , how it would be perfect for her daughter and so on. Before the end of the cruise I sent it out to be washed and gave it to her. She sent me a picture a few months later of her daughter with the blanket. On a following cruise we requested for her to be our attendant and I asked her if we could bring her anything and her response was a blow torch. They are illegal in her country. I had to say no to that request. We also tip very well

Edited by ownedbypets
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, ownedbypets said:

I have only left something used for a cabin attendant once. I always bring a small blanket to use while watching tv and our attendant commented a few times how much she liked it , how it would be perfect for her daughter and so on. Before the end of the cruise I sent it out to be washed and gave it to her. She sent me a picture a few months later of her daughter with the blanket. On a following cruise we requested for her to be our attendant and I asked her if we could bring her anything and her response was a blow torch. They are illegal in her country. I had to say no to that request.

I wonder what she was going to do with a blow torch.  They're also not allowed onboard.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I get it, a few cheap dollar store trinkets are way cheaper than actual cash tips and provide you with more self gratification.  Some of actually care about these employees and tip accordingly.

I never mentioned a dollar store and/or trinkets. Please keep your "facts" straight.

ETA: we always tip and tip extra. This thread is about providing something in addition to it, something a crew member may want or need, but not have access to. I just don't know how to make this more clear.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy