Electric Heating Pad - OK on Celebrity?

Robkat

Would love to hear if anyone has had experience bringing an electric heating pad on their Celebrity cruise.

I've had recent back problems and have had to use ice and heat packs several times a day.  

On our upcoming Equinox cruise, I'd like to bring an ice (gel) pack (which I can "freeze" in a sink full of ice), but for the heat pack, I thought an electric heat pad would do the job.

I am wondering whether I should just pack and bring the heat pad, or if I should contact the Special Needs department to make sure it would be allowed.

If someone out there has had experience on Celebrity with this, I'd love to hear about it.  Or if you had to get an official OK, did you also have to get a doctor's letter to prove the need?

Thanks in advance for all info.

7 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Would love to hear if anyone has had experience bringing an electric heating pad on their Celebrity cruise.

I've had recent back problems and have had to use ice and heat packs several times a day.  

On our upcoming Equinox cruise, I'd like to bring an ice (gel) pack (which I can "freeze" in a sink full of ice), but for the heat pack, I thought an electric heat pad would do the job.

I am wondering whether I should just pack and bring the heat pad, or if I should contact the Special Needs department to make sure it would be allowed.

If someone out there has had experience on Celebrity with this, I'd love to hear about it.  Or if you had to get an official OK, did you also have to get a doctor's letter to prove the need?

I can't answer your question but my husband has back issues and we always bring the Therma care back pain therapy heat wraps. They last 8 hours. 

Edited by lovrccl

11 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Heating pads ARE on the prohibited list, along with most anything that produces heat.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/all-faqs

Scroll down to "What not to pack", specifically the "***" note at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

I can't answer your question but my husband has back issues and we always bring the Therma care back pain therapy heat wraps. They last 8 hours. 

lovrccl:  thanks for the reply.  Are these the Thermacare patches, where you stick them onto the back?  I've used those  before (and love them) but my issues right now are with herniated discs and I've been using very directed heat on the back after icing.  I had thought that a heating pad would be the closest thing to use on a cruise.

canderson:  thanks for the info directly from the Celebrity website.  This is disappointing, and now I wonder if an exemption through the Special Needs department might be granted.  That seems improbable, but I wonder if they would have a substitute suggestion.

I'm hoping that someone who has had need of a heating pad on a cruise, and  found a good solution, might chime in.

9 minutes ago, Robkat said:

lovrccl:  thanks for the reply.  Are these the Thermacare patches, where you stick them onto the back?  I've used those  before (and love them) but my issues right now are with herniated discs and I've been using very directed heat on the back after icing.  I had thought that a heating pad would be the closest thing to use on a cruise.

canderson:  thanks for the info directly from the Celebrity website.  This is disappointing, and now I wonder if an exemption through the Special Needs department might be granted.  That seems improbable, but I wonder if they would have a substitute suggestion.

I'm hoping that someone who has had need of a heating pad on a cruise, and  found a good solution, might chime in.

Yes the pads stick to your back. Many items that are electric are considered a fire hazard. Fire and ships are not good! 

I have requested and received a kettle in my room. This has been on cruises worldwide. Usually for making our own tea but I have taken a hot water bottle on colder cruises so I can enjoy the balcony.

As we usually cruise in a suite I am able to request the kettle through the shoreside concierge. I suggest OP, you contact special needs and explain your difficulty and request a kettle. All ships carry a few kettles for guest use but only a few (unless you are cruising from Southampton) so I would try to prearrange, not leave until boarding.

So sorry to hear of your present difficulties, I hope it doesn’t spoil your cruise enjoyment. I also suggest a chat with your consultant/physio to see if there are any alternatives they can offer….

Edited by chemmo

9 hours ago, Robkat said:

Many people are quoting the policy without having direct experience. We have brought a heating pad on Celebrity and Royal many many times. As recent as Edge July 2021. It was noted on the special needs form and the heating pad had automatic shutoff. Best regards 

4 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Many people are quoting the policy without having direct experience. We have brought a heating pad on Celebrity and Royal many many times. As recent as Edge July 2021. It was noted on the special needs form and the heating pad had automatic shutoff. Best regards 

Tee & Chilli:  OMigoodness ... thank you for this reply.  It's exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone!  Did you access a Special Needs form from calling Celebrity or can I find it on their website?  

PS. This is the 2nd time you've given me a very helpful and complete reply on different topics!  PRior to our Edge cruise, I had asked about luggage getting through the screening machine, and you thoughtfully sent photos of your luggage, from your Edge cruise, that had gone through and their dimensions.  

Thanks everybe else else for your replies.  This is such a helpful community!  Love cruisers!

5 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I didn't know about a "special needs form" but will certainly look for it for our next cruise.  Thanks,

I never travel without a heating pad, including on cruises, in case of an IBS flare up and resulting pain.  On cruises, including Celebrity, I usually pack them in my check-in luggage, occasionally in the carry on.  About three times I have had to retrieve luggage from the "naughty room".   When I pull out the heating pad I have never been denied keeping it.  Mine does have an automatic shutoff.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.  They've been very helpful.

Ive got the Special Needs email address and their number, so I'll be right onto that.  

Im going to ask Special Needs for approval for a heating pad (and thanks all for making me aware that it should have auto shut-off) and also request a kettle for use with a hot water bottle, since that is what I use everyday currently.

Thay way I can make a decision at the last minute.

Happily, the ice pack shouldn't be an issue! 😂😂

@Robkat

Don't overlook that suggestion above recommending that you take along any and all communications from corporate that express their approval, and that you want the device in your carry-on so that you can present your documentation at security.  We've seen here that security can be very arbitrary at times, and if you are successful shoreside, we don't want to see you disappointed at the pier.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:31 PM, canderson said:

@Robkat

Don't overlook that suggestion above recommending that you take along any and all communications from corporate that express their approval, and that you want the device in your carry-on so that you can present your documentation at security.  We've seen here that security can be very arbitrary at times, and if you are successful shoreside, we don't want to see you disappointed at the pier.

canderson:  thank you for the advice & recommendation!  I'll be sure to carry whatever I bring in my carry on, and have any and everything I can in writing, ready to haul it out at a moment's notice! 😂  KInd of you to put out the reminder!  

11 minutes ago, Robkat said:

canderson:  thank you for the advice & recommendation!  I'll be sure to carry whatever I bring in my carry on, and have any and everything I can in writing, ready to haul it out at a moment's notice! 😂  KInd of you to put out the reminder!  

We've seen examples of security being a bit arbitrary over electrical items here in threads lately, which is why I tossed in the warning.  We want you to succeed!