Things for kids to do on RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS

dltaeg

We are looking at sailing on Rhapsody in May around Europe. It will be pretty cold at that time of year so the pools will be off limits so I'm asking what else there might be for kids (who are 8, 11 and 13) to do onboard aside from the kids clubs ☺️

I think they'd be bored out of their minds.  The indoor pool is the adult only one in the Solarium, but as someone else posted, they may allow kids during a certain time period.  Since your past sailings have been on Indy and Harmony, YOU may also be bored out of your mind.  Odyssey will be more $$, but you will all have so much more to do.  Rhapsody is coming up on 25 years old, and has very little in the way of kid-friendly amenities. She's a tiny ship compared to Indy and a pipsqueak compared to Harmony.

image.thumb.png.bdd761622124505a63c83464ac947b4c.png

Don't do it! 

My sister and I and families, adult kids and grandkids.  We made the mistake of booking the Rhapsody and the kids are still blaming us.  We didn't do our homework.  There was absolutely nothing for the kids to do.  Fortunately they had each other, that was our saving grace.

Good luck in your decisions.

7 hours ago, dltaeg said:

We are looking at sailing on Rhapsody in May around Europe. It will be pretty cold at that time of year so the pools will be off limits so I'm asking what else there might be for kids (who are 8, 11 and 13) to do onboard aside from the kids clubs ☺️

It's a very port intensive cruise. You only have one sea day.  I am sure that they will enjoy Adventure Ocean for one day.

On the flip side, my kids LOVED the kids club, they didn't want to leave!  They were 10 and 13 at the time. The also enjoyed the rock climbing wall, and actually won medals.  When we went, all the pools were closed due to rough seas. Major let down. But, they also enjoyed just hanging out in the cabin.  You know your kids, and if they'd get bored or not.  My son was happy reading books in different places on the ship, and playing cards and games in the card room.  Personally, I think parents worry too much about "entertaining" their children, thus enabling them to be creative.  I read this in the book, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff' children/family.  It changed my attitude and have made trips more relaxed for me.  Why don't you ask your kids what they envision doing on the ship?  Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Mine loved Rhapsody.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dltaeg said:

May in Europe will not be “cold”! 

10 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

On the flip side, my kids LOVED the kids club, they didn't want to leave!  They were 10 and 13 at the time. The also enjoyed the rock climbing wall, and actually won medals.  When we went, all the pools were closed due to rough seas. Major let down. But, they also enjoyed just hanging out in the cabin.  You know your kids, and if they'd get bored or not.  My son was happy reading books in different places on the ship, and playing cards and games in the card room.  Personally, I think parents worry too much about "entertaining" their children, thus enabling them to be creative.  I read this in the book, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff' children/family.  It changed my attitude and have made trips more relaxed for me.  Why don't you ask your kids what they envision doing on the ship?  Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Mine loved Rhapsody.  

I do think they would still be happy on Rhapsody as my older 2 boys sound just like yours, they love to read and play chess but its my youngest who is like a whirlwind. She's just turned 8 and can't sit still for more than 30 seconds at a time. We're still thinking it over but I do think we are a bit more drawn to Odyssey. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, little britain said:

May in Europe will not be “cold”! 

Its around Russia, Copenhagen, Sweden etc. After a quick Google is averages around 16oc at that time of year so you certainly wouldn't catch me swimming 🤣 

1 hour ago, dltaeg said:

Its around Russia, Copenhagen, Sweden etc. After a quick Google is averages around 16oc at that time of year so you certainly wouldn't catch me swimming 🤣 

I checked before I answered; Rhapsody in May is sailing from Athens around the Greek islands 🤷‍♀️

Wow. Kids have become demanding! We sailed on Rhapsody a handful of times with our boys when they were younger. They very much enjoyed Adventure Ocean and, later, the teens club. It's not like it was all that long ago either, as they're only now 18 and (about to turn) 21.

Yes, she's a smaller ship that doesn't have a the whole dadgum theme park on her, but there's plenty good times to be had if she is going where you want to go. That said, go where y'all want to go, and may you have a great vacation. 

According to the RC website, Rhapsody will be in the Mediterranean in May.

The ship sailing that itinerary in May is the Voyager of the Seas.

Completely different animal from the Rhapsody.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/voyager-of-the-seas

The newly amped up Voyager of the Seas® is packed with more ways to play.
Take on three stories of twisting, turning adventure on two high-speed waterslides in The Perfect Storm℠ or go head to head in a glow-in-the-dark laser tag clash in Battle for Planet Z℠. Hang ten on the FlowRider℠ surf simulator or recharge and reinvigorate at the newly designed spa and adults-only solarium. Plus enjoy Voyager Dunes, ice-skating, rock-climbing wall, and totally reimagined spaces for every kid and teen.

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2021 at 4:55 PM, Merion_Mom said:

The ship sailing that itinerary in May is the Voyager of the Seas.

Completely different animal from the Rhapsody.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/voyager-of-the-seas

The newly amped up Voyager of the Seas® is packed with more ways to play.
Take on three stories of twisting, turning adventure on two high-speed waterslides in The Perfect Storm℠ or go head to head in a glow-in-the-dark laser tag clash in Battle for Planet Z℠. Hang ten on the FlowRider℠ surf simulator or recharge and reinvigorate at the newly designed spa and adults-only solarium. Plus enjoy Voyager Dunes, ice-skating, rock-climbing wall, and totally reimagined spaces for every kid and teen.

We are scheduled on the Mar 2022 Anthem and we need to move it to another sailing.  We've only sailed on the Oasis & Freedom class ships on Royal and the S & E class on Celebrity.  We're retired and it will be just the 2 of us on this cruise.  I was looking at the Rhapsody 7 Night Western Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona to Rome in July.   It's a port intensive itinerary.   Is the food, bars, pool areas & entertainment good on this ship?  Do you think adults would be bored?  

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

We are scheduled on the Mar 2022 Anthem and we need to move it to another sailing.  We've only sailed on the Oasis & Freedom class ships on Royal and the S & E class on Celebrity.  We're retired and it will be just the 2 of us on this cruise.  I was looking at the Rhapsody 7 Night Western Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona to Rome in July.   It's a port intensive itinerary.   Is the food, bars, pool areas & entertainment good on this ship?  Do you think adults would be bored?  

We’ve had excellent cruises on Rhapsody as a couple or with friends but with grandchildren apart from the pool and an occasional visit to the children's club there really isn’t anything else for children to enjoy.

As a retired couple I’m sure you’ll have an excellent cruise.