Room Service

Mrs Wally

Sorry but where does it stop with P&O and the charges they enforce they will be charging you for public conveniences next. Sorry but there is no way I would pay £2-50 for having breakfast served in room I would walk to restaurant and get them to serve me and it would be free.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but where does it stop with P&O and the charges they enforce they will be charging you for public conveniences next. Sorry but there is no way I would pay £2-50 for having breakfast served in room I would walk to restaurant and get them to serve me and it would be free.

A reduced choice and you don't even get tea or coffee delivered - you have to make your own in the cabin...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, majortom10 said:

On the rare occasions that we treat ourselves to a balcony, breakfast delivered and eating out on the balcony was one of our guilty pleasures if the daily special in the MDR didn't appeal.

Had a balcony when were on Iona last month.  Was too mean to pay the tray charge, so as were only one deck below the buffet, I just popped up there, got some stuff and brought it back to the cabin. 

Must admit, on Iona, we preferred breakfast in the buffet to the MDR.

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We had room service breakfast every morning.

I hope someone can post the full daily menu for you.

Graham.

IMG_20210915_223717.jpg

Oh thats a bit less than my last cruise when it was also free. No cheese plate, no panini type thing and no hot drinks. It will still be fine I can't face multiple flights of stairs multiple times a day so MDR or buffet is out. Plan is room service breakfast, I will sashay forth at 11am for brandy coffee and then remain out until I can climb mount everest otherwise known as the stairs around 6pm. Should I spy a lesser spotted empty lift at anytime I will be in it faster than a rat up a drainpipe but feel you have to be realistic. Having a heart condition means stairs are a challenge but getting covid would be a bigger one.

20 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Yeah, didn't you know they have install a system in the urinals where they measure the contents then charge you by the litre it's not done by face recognition, but by another part or your anatomy if you get my drift. That really is taking the p*ss and charging for it. Please don't take this as gospel as I'm sure there may be the odd person who might believe it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry to bang on, but we are on Princess at the moment and room service continental breakfast is foc, as are many other items.

P&O are rapidly becoming a nickel and diming operation, to such an extent that Princess is becoming better value, especially with the Princess Plus package.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry to bang on, but we are on Princess at the moment and room service continental breakfast is foc, as are many other items.

P&O are rapidly becoming a nickel and diming operation, to such an extent that Princess is becoming better value, especially with the Princess Plus package.

Perhaps I am getting to old. I have been looking at your adventures on Sky Princess. MDR food is poor,especially the meat. It's now getting better. Buffet is better than the MDR, but not as good as it was pre Covid. Speciality restaurants you can't get in. Drinks are cheap, but you have to pull up your masks after each sip. P&O are nickel and dime and princess is becoming better than them. 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Pleased you are having a great time Wowzz.

Graham.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps I am getting to old. I have been looking at your adventures on Sky Princess. MDR food is poor,especially the meat. It's now getting better. Buffet is better than the MDR, but not as good as it was pre Covid. Speciality restaurants you can't get in. Drinks are cheap, but you have to pull up your masks after each sip. P&O are nickel and dime and princess is becoming better than them. 🤔

I agree - I am being inconsistent in my views. At the end of the cruise I'll try and give a measured response.

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree - I am being inconsistent in my views. At the end of the cruise I'll try and give a measured response.

No problem, I am consistently inconsistent. I will look forward to your opinion on Princess v P&O. I know it will be fair and objective.😁

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

No problem, I am consistently inconsistent. I will look forward to your opinion on Princess v P&O. I know it will be fair and objective.😁

My wife and I have just had this discussion as we have just returned from a week on Regal to France and Spain, our first time with Princess.  We prefer P&O's offering over Princess, but would happily sail with Princess again if costs are comparable. We have priced out a couple of cruises from Southampton, but Princess are considerably more expensive than P&O when we take into account our Friends and Family discounts we get with P&O and Cunard.

Plus somehow we went on as Blue Circle members and came off as Ruby as they brought our old couple of P&O 2 night taster cruises into the loyalty scheme.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

My wife and I have just had this discussion as we have just returned from a week on Regal to France and Spain, our first time with Princess.  We prefer P&O's offering over Princess, but would happily sail with Princess again if costs are comparable. We have priced out a couple of cruises from Southampton, but Princess are considerably more expensive than P&O when we take into account our Friends and Family discounts we get with P&O and Cunard.

Plus somehow we went on as Blue Circle members and came off as Ruby as they brought our old couple of P&O 2 night taster cruises into the loyalty scheme.

Never book Princess early in the UK when they are expensive. But they do reduce prices at a later date and offer some good deals and the biggest advantage they have over P&O is that there late deals you can still pick your cabin and dining times which you cannot with P&O.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We did a Princess cruise around 2003/04 which was the one and only time we haven't gone P&O. We did think that the entertainment was very good. The waiting staff was far more diverse than P&O and my wife wasn't partial to the evening meals as they consisted of mainly fish, which she's not a lover of so she ended up with steak virtually all the cruise. I am a bit concerned with the comments regarding P&O about how they seem to be dumbing down on everything and charging for more and more. I know we have been and still are in the midst of a pandemic, but you can't expect your customers to bail you out (financially and not by the bucket) because you have lost many millions due to the pandemic. Standards have to be raised rather than lowered as P&O are competing in a huge market. I do believe the cruise industry needs to look at itself and somewhere there needs to be middle ground between paying through the nose for everything being inclusive and the P&O route of making a cruise as cheap as possible, but having no frills and the charging for everything that they possibly can.

21 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

On the rare occasions that we treat ourselves to a balcony, breakfast delivered and eating out on the balcony was one of our guilty pleasures if the daily special in the MDR didn't appeal.

Had a balcony when were on Iona last month.  Was too mean to pay the tray charge, so as were only one deck below the buffet, I just popped up there, got some stuff and brought it back to the cabin. 

Must admit, on Iona, we preferred breakfast in the buffet to the MDR.

LOL,reminds me on Princess we did the same on all the Grand class ships.1 flight of stairs to buffet for our morning cuppa in room.We did a 30 day repo on Coral Princess,walked up the stairs 1st morning and the bloody buffet was at the front of the ship.Had to buy those sealable mugs so I didn't spill all the tea along the whole length of the ship.Moral is,do your homework before booking cabin.

• Like 1

I'm with Major Tom on this one!

OK £2.50 isn't a lot, but it is something that ever since we've cruised with P&O has not previously charged for.  And in all the bumf they state that breakfast delivered to your cabin is free.  Er, no, its £2.50.

On the occasions where we've had breakfast in our cabin I used to go for the hot chocolate.  No they don't even bring you tea or coffee.

If we're in a cabin close to the buffet, I'll continue with a takeaway, with a better selection as well.

• Like 3

£2.50 is not a lot and i would not hesitate to pay it. BUT I want a true room service breakfast. Access to all menu items even at extra charge

My last cruise in July 2019 was with Princess on Coral for a 7 night Voyage of the Glaciers in Alaska. For me, the overall cruise experience was infinitely superior to my last P&O cruise aboard Azura in March 2019.

The production shows in the theatre absolutely knocked spots off of P&O's and the musical offerings in bars and lounges much better too. Food was generally a better quality too and service standards very high in all areas.

Sadly, for me, like P&O, Princess now largely operate bigger ships which don't really interest me.

2 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

I don't believe that you are complaining about a 2-50 charge, are you ?

Am I reading that wrong ?

If you have to get up, wash, dress and then walk all the way to the restaurant and back again, then 2-50 sounds reasonable to me to have it delivered.

You are on vacation 🙂 

We always have room service breakfast on every ship we sail on because we like to sit on our balcony and relax eating breakfast.

I always give the waiter £2 tip but not on Iona because of the £2.50 service charge.

It was actually £2.29 with our 8.5% loyalty discount.

Graham.

2 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

I don't believe that you are complaining about a 2-50 charge, are you ?

Am I reading that wrong ?

If you have to get up, wash, dress and then walk all the way to the restaurant and back again, then 2-50 sounds reasonable to me to have it delivered.

You are on vacation 🙂 

+1.