Decide for me - Interior or Junior Suite upgrade

I need help deciding.  Should I upgrade my interior room to a junior suite on Liberty of the Seas for $500 per person?  It's a 7 day cruise with my 7 year old daughter.  The $500 seems fairly nominal for a big jump in cabin.  BUT...I don't dislike interior staterooms because I love the pitch black dark sleeping.

What are the benefits of a Junior Suite? I've never been in one.  Are there double points?  Early boarding?

Help!!

- early boarding (1 hour prior to scheduled slot, assuming boarding is opened)

- double points

- really nothing else as far as “suite perks”

- balcony

- larger closet

- tub/shower combo (with a high step in)

- more space in room and bathroom. 

We have a JS on liberty. Just upgraded the kids from an inside to a JS as a treat.  We usually put them in an inside across the hall. 

note - it will also have slightly higher gratuity. 

Edited by AustinCruise

3 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

- early boarding (1 hour prior to scheduled slot, assuming boarding is opened)

- double points

- really nothing else as far as “suite perks”

- balcony

- larger closet

- tub/shower combo (with a high step in)

- more space in room and bathroom. 

We have a JS on liberty. Just upgraded the kids from an inside to a JS as a treat.  We usually put them in an inside across the hall. 

note - it will also have slightly higher gratuity. 

The extra space would be nice for me and the mini human I'll be with.  I actually prefer just a shower so that's a harder sell.  I do like the double points.  If I do it, it will put me at Diamond by the end of the year.

Are you from Austin, TX?

Yes, from Austin. 

I also prefer a shower.  It’s nice that it isn’t in a phone booth 🙂

I’m also fine with the dark for sleeping, but enjoy the space and the balcony.  We like the escape of the balcony and a book. 

If you booked in time, you may get double on the double points. I’m not sure how they classify changes now that double points are dropped. 

Also, to me, diamond just got more valuable with the 4 drink voucher system. 

Edited by AustinCruise

5 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

Yes, from Austin. 

I also prefer a shower.  It’s nice that it isn’t in a phone booth 🙂

I’m also fine with the dark for sleeping, but enjoy the space and the balcony.  We like the escape of the balcony and a book. 

If you booked in time, you may get double on the double points. I’m not sure how they classify changes now that double points are dropped. 

Also, to me, diamond just got more valuable with the 4 drink voucher system. 

We're from Austin too!

I did get the double points so I'm a little scared to mess with it lol.  

Is it 4 drinks per day??  

4 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

We're from Austin too!

I did get the double points so I'm a little scared to mess with it lol.  

Is it 4 drinks per day??  

Yes. 4 drink vouchers (up to $13 each) loaded on your sea pass daily once diamond. 5 once diamond plus. 

• Like 1

For the extra $1 grand, wouldn't you have booked a junior suite when you originally made the reservation?  Seems as if it's not much of a necessity for you.  Me personally, if I booked an interior cabin the first time, that's what I'd go with.......unless, of course the upgrade was too sweet of an offer to refuse.

Anybody who likes an interior should just stick with it.  Generally your won't have the pitch black that you like, although closing the curtain by the balcony will get you pretty close.  Save the grand.

7 days with a 7 year old in an interior?  Sounds like an episode or Fear factor to me.

Additional info: we are on the Liberty now, in one of the aft JS's.

* Larger balcony. 2 lounge chairs and small table along witb 2 chairs and large table...obstructed view.

* All JS's come with an Expresso/coffee machine.

* Chaise lounge and pull-out sofa.

* and yes, a nice walk-in closet.

* Upgraded toiletries.

* Better mattress and pillows.

Happy Sailing!

• Like 2

The big question is how much time will you spend in your cabin?     If you like to hang out in your cabin and play games or relax on our balcony then a JS is worth paying $1000 for 2 people.

We are the type that really doesn't hang out in our cabin.     We do enjoy relaxing on the balcony reading, napping, wine and cheese, etc.   but in the cabin - not much 

I personally would prefer to use that $1000 on other items:   excursions, shopping on islands, nice speciality dining, etc. etc.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The big question is how much time will you spend in your cabin?     If you like to hang out in your cabin and play games or relax on our balcony then a JS is worth paying $1000 for 2 people.

We are the type that really doesn't hang out in our cabin.     We do enjoy relaxing on the balcony reading, napping, wine and cheese, etc.   but in the cabin - not much 

I personally would prefer to use that $1000 on other items:   excursions, shopping on islands, nice speciality dining, etc. etc.  

this is what I’m thinking. With a seven year old who has never cruises before (and is super activity) I think it will end up being a place to crash. 

we’re in a balcony on harmony in December so maybe I’ll test it out then. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

For the extra $1 grand, wouldn't you have booked a junior suite when you originally made the reservation?  Seems as if it's not much of a necessity for you.  Me personally, if I booked an interior cabin the first time, that's what I'd go with.......unless, of course the upgrade was too sweet of an offer to refuse.

For my Liberty of the seas cruise, initially JS (and above) were way overpriced. Something like a $1300/pp for a JS over a balcony.  Now it’s $500/pp over an inside. that’s why I moved the kids up when the prices came down. 

Edited by AustinCruise

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

Anybody who likes an interior should just stick with it.  Generally your won't have the pitch black that you like, although closing the curtain by the balcony will get you pretty close.  Save the grand.

7 days with a 7 year old in an interior?  Sounds like an episode or Fear factor to me.

Ha! I think we will mostly be in there to sleep. 
i did a three month renovation of my house and she and I lived in the basement together during most of it. If we can survive that then sleeping in an interior room will be a piece of cake. She’ll have no toys with her so that will be easy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maureencruiser said:

With a seven year old, I'm guessing you won't spend a lot of time in the cabin.  Is there a middle ground, a couple hundred for a regular balcony?  You mention the drink vouchers, don't forget you can bring 2 bottles of wine, as well, even with a child.  

I don’t even drink so the vouchers aren’t huge for me. But every now and then I may have a glass of wine or a drink so the vouchers would help bridge the gap for a cruiser like me. 

In 11 years, when your 7 year old is ready for College, that $1,000 spent today for the junior suite could be invested in the stock market and could grow to about $2,850 (assuming a 10% annual return).  Even taking into account inflation, that amount of money would buy a lot of text books or meals in the dorm.  

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

In 11 years, when your 7 year old is ready for College, that $1,000 spent today for the junior suite could be invested in the stock market and could grow to about $2,850 (assuming a 10% annual return).  Even taking into account inflation, that amount of money would buy a lot of text books or meals in the dorm.  

OP, if you're in the market for some bad financial advice, you just got it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Think how much one could save staying home!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

I need help deciding.  Should I upgrade my interior room to a junior suite on Liberty of the Seas for $500 per person?  It's a 7 day cruise with my 7 year old daughter.  The $500 seems fairly nominal for a big jump in cabin.  BUT...I don't dislike interior staterooms because I love the pitch black dark sleeping.

What are the benefits of a Junior Suite? I've never been in one.  Are there double points?  Early boarding?

Help!!

All cabins are pitch black at night unless you know of any streetlights or car headlights! The drapes are blackout ones and will keep you in the dark. I personally wouldn't sail in an inside cabin. I've been invited to the simulated cruise next week on the Navigator and will not show up if I'm assigned an inside cabin. I'm anxiously waiting for cabin assignments.

2 hours ago, Cigar King said:

OP, if you're in the market for some bad financial advice, you just got it.

Ikr.  I wasn't in the market for any financial advice lol.  Taking that advice maybe we shouldn't cruise at all and save it...think how much these cruise would be worth in $$ in 11 years.  (insert eyeroll).