2 days before our cruise starts, when we’re supposed to get Covid tests, is Christmas Day.

donnalack

Greetings.

We are on Independence, leaving December 27, from Port Canaveral. As I understand the current RCCL Covid requirements, we’re required to take a test 2 days before. Unfortunately, two days before ends up being Christmas Day. Nothing is open where I live on Christmas Day, not CVS, not Walgreens, nothing!  This is the first time we’ve cruised in 18 months, and I’m really not sure how to handle this. I would welcome your suggestions. Thank you very much!

I would suggest getting the proctored test but also scheduling the CVS or Walgreens test.  You never know which one will work.  CVS could cancel; or the Proctored test itself could be flawed-then you would have to have bought a "just in case" standby.

Edited by gadaboutgal
  • Like 1

So we could get the tests done at CVS on Sunday, December 26th? That would be enough time before we set sail the next day?

If we choose to do the home proctored test, is it ok to do that one the day before?

Sorry for all the questions! This is a great resource, and I’m usually lurking, but rarely posting🙃

10 minutes ago, donnalack said:

So we could get the tests done at CVS on Sunday, December 26th? That would be enough time before we set sail the next day?

If we choose to do the home proctored test, is it ok to do that one the day before?

Sorry for all the questions! This is a great resource, and I’m usually lurking, but rarely posting🙃

If you can do the rapid antigen test at your cvs you should get emailed the results in an hour or less.

You go to emed or optum online to order the proctored approved test kits.  Optum offers 2 or 3 kits where emed sells in 6 packs.  

And yes you could do them 1 day before cruise.  That's fine.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, donnalack said:

Greetings.

We are on Independence, leaving December 27, from Port Canaveral. As I understand the current RCCL Covid requirements, we’re required to take a test 2 days before. Unfortunately, two days before ends up being Christmas Day. Nothing is open where I live on Christmas Day, not CVS, not Walgreens, nothing!  This is the first time we’ve cruised in 18 months, and I’m really not sure how to handle this. I would welcome your suggestions. Thank you very much!

No LONGER than 2 days prior. You can test morning of your cruise. Sadly I will probably be driving past IOTS on my way to work.

• Like 1

You can test day 2,1,0. for fully vaccinated ppl over 12.

Use this handy little cheat sheet. I Also recommend the eMED at home proctored test. ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. Seeing alot of threads recently about local RX stores canceling their test's day of. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

image.thumb.png.9e1165a2a8700d015f87b89030f12373.png

Edited by alexgtp
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, donnalack said:

Greetings.

I am on that exact sailing!  Looking forward to it.  That said, we are doing the at home tests  too.  It is super inconvenient for us because we have to drive to the port so there is hardly time.  We are buying extra tests too just in case something goes wrong.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, donnalack said:

Yes, has to be a maximum of two days prior. One day is acceptable. The proctored test by video was very easy, just need to make sure you have a separate device for each person testing. 

My understanding is that all of the currently available BiNax Now EMed proctored tests were made at the same time and originally expired on October 5th through 12th and had their shelf life extended by 3 months to December 5th through 13th.  There are warnings on both EMED and Optum's websites that the expiration date may be before you need to use it.

I am not sure if there are plans to extend the shelf life again or if they will make another run of them before the current ones expire, but I would use caution to be sure any test you purchase is valid for your cruise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

My understanding is that all of the currently available BiNax Now EMed proctored tests were made at the same time and originally expired on October 5th through 12th and had their shelf life extended by 3 months to December 5th through 13th.  There are warnings on both EMED and Optum's websites that the expiration date may be before you need to use it.

I am not sure if there are plans to extend the shelf life again or if they will make another run of them before the current ones expire, but I would use caution to be sure any test you purchase is valid for your cruise.

This is why I have not purchased yet.  Waiting to hear what happens in mid December.  There are so many hoops to jump through.  I would not mind if the tests were not so up in the air.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alexgtp said:

You can test day 2,1,0. for fully vaccinated ppl over 12.

Use this handy little cheat sheet. I Also recommend the eMED at home proctored test. ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. Seeing alot of threads recently about local RX stores canceling their test's day of. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

image.thumb.png.9e1165a2a8700d015f87b89030f12373.png

This is wonderful - thank you!

9 hours ago, donnalack said:

This is wonderful - thank you!

I wouldn't count on CVS or Walgreens 100%. They have sometimes been canceling appts even up to a few hours before so make sure you have a plan B. The proctored home test would be you best plan. I would also buy 1 or 2 extra in case there is a problem wth one. Some have reported not having enough liquid in the tube and someone knocked their test off of the table while taking it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anton said:

The eMed site now (updated this afternoon) says the tests are good at least until February 1, 2022, or they might expire later (no date) and they can't guarantee which kit you'll get.519694325_ScreenShot2021-11-03at4_33_41PM.thumb.png.1efc1637e2365afdd62b585043d903e2.png

The Royal site version still says December 13th or something like that.  I wonder if that will be changing soon too?

On 11/3/2021 at 11:57 AM, awhfy said:

just need to make sure you have a separate device for each person testing. 

You do not need a separate device for each person tested. My wife and I both just use my laptop. one calls in and tests, the next calls in and tests when that is done. Need a separate test for each person obviously, and each person may set up their own account for testing and results. Under 18 may go on adults account. It might be possible to set up husband and wife under 1 account, the wording left me unsure, so I did not try it.

• Like 1