COVID Testing Prior to Holiday Cruises When Testing Sites May Be Closed

kdrdallas

With COVID testing required within two days of embarkation, does anyone have concerns about finding a testing location open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  Seems like they could give us an extra day to get the testing done during holiday time periods.  If your cruise departs on Dec. 26 or 27, what are your plans to meet the requirement?

3 hours ago, kdrdallas said:

With COVID testing required within two days of embarkation, does anyone have concerns about finding a testing location open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  Seems like they could give us an extra day to get the testing done during holiday time periods.  If your cruise departs on Dec. 26 or 27, what are your plans to meet the requirement?

This testing site it's open 365 days  including the holidays https://fasttestnow.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gerelmx said:

This testing site it's open 365 days  including the holidays https://fasttestnow.com/

We are sailing out of Miami on Dec. 26. I scheduled us at Fast Test Now in Orlando on Christmas Day since this is where we are spending that night. You have to pay up front and cannot get all of your money back if you cancel (read their FAQs before scheduling). I wanted to use the proctored at-home test kits, but the earliest expiration date they post on their site never extends far enough for my cruise. You would think they would be sending out the older kits first, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I check the site daily and have seen the earliest expiration date bounce from Dec. 21, to Dec. 12, to Dec. 7, and now back up to Dec. 17.

• Thanks 1

I pre-tested the do-it-yourself kit Celebrity recommends ( I bought it as a backup to my scheduled lab test at home).  If you are solo, it is not easy to do it without someone helping you to position everything correctly when online with the rep.  I had to have DH help me ( and he will not be on my cruise).  If you are in a hotel right before a cruise, this would mean finding some hotel employee willing to help.

Other threads have had posters note that sometime the bottle of solution is dried out, even though the kit is considered valid and unexpired.  I barely got the requisite six drops out.

Therefore, the post in #7 is appreciated.

5 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I pre-tested the do-it-yourself kit Celebrity recommends ( I bought it as a backup to my scheduled lab test at home).  If you are solo, it is not easy to do it without someone helping you to position everything correctly when online with the rep.  I had to have DH help me ( and he will not be on my cruise).  If you are in a hotel right before a cruise, this would mean finding some hotel employee willing to help.

Other threads have had posters note that sometime the bottle of solution is dried out, even though the kit is considered valid and unexpired.  I barely got the requisite six drops out.

Therefore, the post in #7 is appreciated.

I used the same home test.  I traveled solo and I tested alone, no help required.  You do need a little space to spread out, so plan for that.  A laptop might be better than a smartphone or tablet because the camera needs to be adjusted at tiimes.

• Like 1

I'm in the same "boat" for our January 3 cruise as I'm pretty confident that there won't be anyplace open in Hilton Head/surrounding areas on New Year's Day for my January 3 sailing, and if they are, getting results back in time will be tedious at best, given how long they've taken in the past.  Does someone have a link to these home proctored tests?  

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

I'm in the same "boat" for our January 3 cruise as I'm pretty confident that there won't be anyplace open in Hilton Head/surrounding areas on New Year's Day for my January 3 sailing, and if they are, getting results back in time will be tedious at best, given how long they've taken in the past.  Does someone have a link to these home proctored tests?  

Thanks!

Not sure where you are sailing from.....

We were scheduled for a January 3 cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale; I was able to find that CVS on Sunrise Boulevard (almost next door to the Galleria Mall) is open for the fast test on Sunday, January 2.  There are other options; but since CVS was easy to use before my September cruise, I was confident using them again.  We have since switched to January 19 so I am able to test at home before flying.

Hope that helps!

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I used the same home test.  I traveled solo and I tested alone, no help required.  You do need a little space to spread out, so plan for that.  A laptop might be better than a smartphone or tablet because the camera needs to be adjusted at tiimes.

It's so easy, a caveman could do it.  

• Haha 1

Here is the link to order the home tests:  https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises/

We just did them last night for our cruise that leaves tomorrow. It was very easy.  It works best if you can sit at a desk or somewhere with good lighting and a place to prop up your phone. If you are concerned, you could always buy an extra test and practice ahead of time. 

• Like 1

Thanks!   I just sent them a contact form to see if they will have any of the tele-med reps available on New Year's Day for the "virtual visit."   I've done the at home tests before - super easy.  

Luckily, I also found a nearby Urgent Care that will be open on New Year's day and will be able to do the rapid testing.  Nice to know that we have options.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, kdrdallas said:

I would look at the Home proctored test that should eliminate you worries.   The are operational 365 24 hours a day.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, Softball20 said:

Thanks!

We are on this cruise too and can't find any place open near us either.  I was concerned about the Celebrity kit as I've read sometimes the connections fail and you can't reconnect because the test ID number has already been used.  I guess I will check the Tampa area and see what they have available on the 2nd

No one here has a CVS near them with 15 minute antigen testing? It's free! I understand the worry about closures, but for our December 26th sailing we expect to do it there 2 days before. There are 2 locations near us, one is drive-thru where you don't even need to get out of your car!

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Same with the Walgreens in our area.  We are hearing that Walgreens is even more reliable, less closing of testing, than CVS. 

The big difference between Walgreens and CVS, at least around here, is that you can schedule a test at CVS about two weeks ahead of time (15 days, I think?), but Walgreens only allows scheduling 2 or 3 days ahead. 

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

The big difference between Walgreens and CVS, at least around here, is that you can schedule a test at CVS about two weeks ahead of time (15 days, I think?), but Walgreens only allows scheduling 2 or 3 days ahead. 

Same is true here but I am also hearing that CVS are cancelling appointments at almost the last minute due to lack of supplies.  Have not heard that about Walgreens. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Same is true here but I am also hearing that CVS are cancelling appointments at almost the last minute due to lack of supplies.  Have not heard that about Walgreens. 

Probably because they only schedule 2 or 3 days out.

Frankly, neither option appeals to me. I either risk last minute cancelation or last minute scheduling. I'll stick with the home test right now or even a same day PCR appointment that I can get in town. 

44 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Probably because they only schedule 2 or 3 days out.

That's a very good point.   

44 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Frankly, neither option appeals to me. I either risk last minute cancelation or last minute scheduling. I'll stick with the home test right now or even a same day PCR appointment that I can get in town. 

I understand you can get a PCR test same day but can you get the results of the test in under 48 hours?  The issue that I have been reading comments about with the PCR test is that there is no guarantee that you will get the results back within 48 hours.. 

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I understand you can get a PCR test same day but can you get the results of the test in under 48 hours?  The issue that I have been reading comments about with the PCR test is that there is no guarantee that you will get the results back within 48 hours.. 

There are some labs in town that guarantee same day results. We went to one back in July. It was $90 a pop, so I'm happy to stick with the home test for the moment.