Live from the Emerald Princess 11/6-11/16

abqmommyof4

Currently en route to start the partial transit. I. Sitting on lido at the wimdow on the Calypso

We haven't had any major issues with dining

Any little things have been taken care of immediately.

My biggest issue and complaint is they throw tomatoe of some sort in every thing.... ( Tomato paste adds lots of flavor  and I get that, it's just frustrating since I have an allergy)

Off to crown grill for dinner since it's Italian night. Our ta gave us dinner, reservations showed up for sabatinis, a phone call later got them switched and added my dad and sister

Hoping the ship doesn't have a repeat of the last cruise with the canal

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigeagle12 said:

Can you please tell us what the mask policy is onboard?

Indoors, most everybody had a mask on 100% of the time.  I'd say compliance was higher than HAL.  You won't ever see the staff without a mask on.  On the promenade deck and outdoor decks, people were much more lax.

Also, Princess is doing rapid antigen tests on all cruises 7 days or longer (IIRC).  On the inaugural cruise from LA to FL, they did two rapid tests.  If you test positive on those, they do a confirmatory PCR test.  If you are also positive there, I guess they isolate you?  I honestly don't know.

Edited by Mike07

20 hours ago, puggymom said:

There is no crew smoking section on Promenade aft on the Emerald. I’m in an aft balcony and no whiff of smoke. I’ve also been down the Promenade and no sign of smoking section on the aft. 

Thank you so much for your response!

4 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Indoors, most everybody had a mask on 100% of the time.  I'd say compliance was higher than HAL.  You won't ever see the staff without a mask on.  On the promenade deck and outdoor decks, people were much more lax.

Also, Princess is doing rapid antigen tests on all cruises 7 days or longer (IIRC).  On the inaugural cruise from LA to FL, they did two rapid tests.  If you test positive on those, they do a confirmatory PCR test.  If you are also positive there, I guess they isolate you?  I honestly don't know.

I think you are mistaken about testing for cruises 7 days or longer:   Princesses web site says the following:

For select cruises, including Panama Canal Full Transits and voyages 15 days and longer, guests will likely have a COVID-19 test administered 3-5 days into their voyages. For voyages 15 days and longer specifically, guests will be tested every 7 days thereafter. The tests will be scheduled and administered by the onboard medical team and will be provided on a complimentary basis.

Incredibly long day for those of us who took the full canal transit excursion. Got back to the ship at 8:30 and there were 3 more buses behind mine. 

if you are on this tour plan to be gone 8-9 hours and bring food. A light lunch was served and that was it. 

Ordered room service as soon as I got back and was delivered appreciatively quick 

In Limon today. Came in a couple hours late. I couldn’t hear the captain announcement but I think it was due to yesterday’s late arrival from the full canal transit tour

Port of Limon met us with a water canon. Turns out we are the first boat back in this port.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, puggymom said:

Incredibly long day for those of us who took the full canal transit excursion. Got back to the ship at 8:30 and there were 3 more buses behind mine. 

if you are on this tour plan to be gone 8-9 hours and bring food. A light lunch was served and that was it. 

Ordered room service as soon as I got back and was delivered appreciatively quick 

In Limon today. Came in a couple hours late. I couldn’t hear the captain announcement but I think it was due to yesterday’s late arrival from the full canal transit tour

Port of Limon met us with a water canon. Turns out we are the first boat back in this port.  

I would guess that any food taken off the ship would need to be in sealed factory packaging.

• Like 1

Puggymom, I am hoping you can help us.  We are going on a partial cruise in January on Emerald princess also and would like to get a better understanding on how the Panama Canal Partial Transit New Locks excursions work.  We are there from 6:30 am to 3:30 and Cristobal from 4:00 to 7:00.    

Did you do the ‘Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat’ excursion?      If yes, do you depart the cruise ship prior to going through the locks to Gatun lake and then get back on the ship prior to it going back through the locks, so you only experience the locks going one direction?  We are wanting to make sure that if we do that excursion that we don’t miss the lock experience or anything else that is important.   Would you recommend this tour?

You mention getting back at 8:30, was that within your time frame for Cristobal?   It shows as a 7 hr excursion but you mention 8 to 9 hrs. 

Any guidance from anyone is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Edited by camlovestocruise

27 minutes ago, camlovestocruise said:

Puggymom, I am hoping you can help us.  We are going on a partial cruise in January on Emerald princess also and would like to get a better understanding on how the Panama Canal Partial Transit New Locks excursions work.  We are there from 6:30 am to 3:30 and Cristobal from 4:00 to 7:00.    

Did you do the ‘Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat’ excursion?      If yes, do you depart the cruise ship prior to going through the locks to Gatun lake and then get back on the ship prior to it going back through the locks, so you only experience the locks going one direction?  We are wanting to make sure that if we do that excursion that we don’t miss the lock experience or anything else that is important.   Would you recommend this tour?

You mention getting back at 8:30, was that within your time frame for Cristobal?   It shows as a 7 hr excursion but you mention 8 to 9 hrs. 

The ship transits through the locks into Gatun Lake.  You are transferred by tender to the Gatun Yacht club pier where you board your tour buses.  At the end of your tour you are bused to Colon or Cristobal where you rejoin the ship, which has retraced its route back through the locks.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

On 11/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, Denmal said:

I like a certain Rose, George Betrand Rose.  Does anyone know if it is listed at vines or in any of the wine lists by the glass ??

Princess is not a wine shop and has a limited inventory. Also there are supply chain issues. I would not expect to find any particular winery or vintage

1 hour ago, camlovestocruise said:

Don’t go by any printed times. You are at the mercy of the Panama officials. We passed through the locks and anchored in Gatun lake around 11:30. We then took a tender to shore and boarded buses. It was a 2 hour drive to the ferry. 

once on the ferry had to wait an hour for the pilot. Every boat has to have a pilot on board. A light  lunch was served. We then started the trip through the Cut and eventually through the remaining locks to the Pacific. We had to off board the pilot which was another delay before being able to dock in Panama City. It was then an hour bus ride back. 

14 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I wonder who catches the heat for this?

Seems to me there the ranking bridge officier would be responsible.  I would think ("think" is the operative word because I do not know) that "Leaving the Panama Canal" the Captain would be on the bridge and in command.

This is a question for @chengkp75.