CBD on caribbean cruise

19 hours ago, BND said:

I thought we were talking about foreign ports.  But, it still applies onboard the ship.

1) Canada is pretty much open to pot. So it is some foreign ports. Basically, the ports north of the border. 

2) Aren’t there a couple of landlocked states where CBD is illegal?

3) Our last Caribbean cruise in 2018 was several hours late sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale.  At first, we thought a dog found explosives in the huge pile of luggage. Turned it, it was probably some pot. 

Lol- funny follow up… I went to the local smoke shop where I buy my Delta 8, and mentioned to the guy that I was sad that I couldn’t bring it onboard.  He said- hey, just put it in a different container, but I said - no, don’t want to risk it.  Then, he gave me a giant handful of CBD caramels, that look just like candy, to “try”.  Lol!  Still not going to try sneaking them onboard…

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Lol- funny follow up… I went to the local smoke shop where I buy my Delta 8, and mentioned to the guy that I was sad that I couldn’t bring it onboard.  He said- hey, just put it in a different container, but I said - no, don’t want to risk it.  Then, he gave me a giant handful of CBD caramels, that look just like candy, to “try”.  Lol!  Still not going to try sneaking them onboard…

Different container. 🤣 Your guy sounds like a real idiot. He's got nothing to lose if you got busted bring it onboard. Wise decision on your part. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Different container. 🤣 Your guy sounds like a real idiot. He's got nothing to lose if you got busted bring it onboard. Wise decision on your part. 

Seriously.  Does he think the dogs search by looking and reading labels🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was on a cross country train trip on Amtrak last summer. A young couple decided to smoke pot in their private room in my car. Last I saw the wife was crying on the platform as their luggage was being removed. And we sat there for a bit until the police cruiser showed up. Felt kind of bad for them, they were going to LA and we were in Texas I believe.

1 minute ago, nferr said:

I was on a cross country train trip on Amtrak last summer. A young couple decided to smoke pot in their private room in my car. Last I saw the wife was crying on the platform as their luggage was being removed. And we sat there for a bit until the police cruiser showed up. Felt kind of bad for them, they were going to LA and we were in Texas I believe.

Not me. 🤣 Their choice. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nferr said:

And we sat there for a bit until the police cruiser showed up. 

Over smoking a joint. 🙄   Something that is completely legal recreationally in 19 of the 50 states.  Im sure the cops had nothing better to do that day. SMH.   Its past time to federally legalize this plant and remove it as a schedule 1 drug.   Its coming soon whether people like it or not.   I totally get Amtrak throwing them off but having the police show up over one joint is complete nonsense and a waste of resources.     Id about venture a months pay the cops agree.  I know all of my friends who are LEOs do anyway 

Edited by ryano

36 minutes ago, ryano said:

Over smoking a joint. 🙄   Something that is completely legal recreationally in 19 of the 50 states.  Im sure the cops had nothing better to do that day. SMH.   Its past time to federally legalize this plant and remove it as a schedule 1 drug.   Its coming soon whether people like it or not  I totally get Amtrak throwing them off but having the police show up over one joint is complete nonsense and a waste of resources.     Id about venture a months pay the cops agree.  I know all of my friends who are LEOs do anyway 

No way, not anytime soon.  The federal government has shown time and time again, this is not a topic they will take up

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No way, not anytime soon.  

Dont be so sure about that.  Its coming.   Coming soon.  Hasnt it already passed the House?   Too much money out there for them to get their grubby hands on.    Im about 100% sure I will see it in my lifetime 

https://www.reuters.com/business/us-cannabis-insurers-get-ready-roll-federal-legalization-nears-2021-08-19/

Edited by ryano

Listen, I get the debate about the legalization of this plant, but it's not going to happen any time soon in this country federally. There is still a majority of states that criminalize it for recreational use and a good handful for all uses.

I understand the benefits of the plant. I have 2 sons using it medically prescribed in a very conservative state (Utah). I see how it helps them. But they will not travel with it or expect the laws of different states to be the same as theirs. Its best to leave it at home. Most of the use cases for medicinal use is supplementary and not required to sustain life. As for recreational use, you will just need to forgo it till its no longer criminalized federally and throughout the states. QED.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ryano said:

Dont be so sure about that.  Its coming.   Coming soon.  Too much money out there for them to get their grubby hands on.    Im about 100% sure I will see it in my lifetime 

https://www.reuters.com/business/us-cannabis-insurers-get-ready-roll-federal-legalization-nears-2021-08-19/

The current progressive and moderate caucus can't get their act together to get billions of dollars funded to much more desired social programs. You think they are going to take this up before the midterms? You are fooling yourself. The midterms are going to be a bloodbath for the democrats this year. They might lose both houses of congress, and if that happens, good luck for the next 2 years minimum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

None of this really matters anyway.  After the explanation given to me by @chengkp75 Im of the opinion that it will NEVER be legal on a cruise ship anyway so all the speculation is just that and really off topic.  The only thing federal legalization MAY do as far a cruising goes, is likely stop someone from being arrested after the cruise line throw them off the ship in a US port.  This is a perfect example of a thread that has "moved left" as pointed out in another thread.  🙂  

Edited by ryano
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, binro01 said:

The current progressive and moderate caucus can't get their act together to get billions of dollars funded to much more desired social programs. You think they are going to take this up before the midterms? You are fooling yourself. The midterms are going to be a bloodbath for the democrats this year. They might lose both houses of congress, and if that happens, good luck for the next 2 years minimum.

It's not just the democrats.  I think it's coming sooner than later. I'll link the article below but my thoughts are:

A - It cost the government literally nothing to implement.

B - It's something that can be federally taxed

I personally think big pharma has had a hand in stalling the process.  As more industries see an opportunity for income (banks, insurers, wall street), expect their lobbyist to start bending some ears.

I understand that it doesn't help the OP, but it is an interesting discussion. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annakaplan/2021/11/15/republicans-introduce-bill-to-decriminalize-marijuana-amid-stalled-proposals/?sh=167669b46af1

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Over smoking a joint. 🙄   Something that is completely legal recreationally in 19 of the 50 states.  Im sure the cops had nothing better to do that day. SMH.   Its past time to federally legalize this plant and remove it as a schedule 1 drug.   Its coming soon whether people like it or not.   I totally get Amtrak throwing them off but having the police show up over one joint is complete nonsense and a waste of resources.     Id about venture a months pay the cops agree.  I know all of my friends who are LEOs do anyway 

Amtrak is strict. It's a law on the trains. They'll toss you off for smoking cigarettes. Pot will get you arrested.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, badvector said:

It's not just the democrats.

Notice I did not say democrats getting their act together, I said progressives and moderates. Its conservatives that will never approve the legalization. (in general)

But if the democrats lose the midterms, more than likely, it's going to be moderates from either party or conservatives that will fill the flipped seats, 

16 minutes ago, nferr said:

Amtrak is strict. It's a law on the trains. They'll toss you off for smoking cigarettes. Pot will get you arrested.

I understand all that.  Their trains, their rules. I strongly disagree with being arrested over a plant though. Hopefully Congress will get their act together and legalize it and tax it and long gone will be the "Reedfer madness"days of being arrested for a plant that all you do to process and use, is dry and cure it.   We no longer live in the 50s.  This is the 21st century  🙂    its past time.   

Edited by ryano

3 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Notice I did not say democrats getting their act together, I said progressives and moderates. Its conservatives that will never approve the legalization. (in general)

But if the democrats lose the midterms, more than likely, it's going to be moderates from either party or conservatives that will fill the flipped seats, 

I was addressing your point of seats flipping.  There are moderates out there willing to put their name on this bill.  If the bill is pushed as written, I think you will even see some conservatives leaning in this direction.  Leave it to the states to determine their own policies but nationally decriminalize it and federally tax it.  Money talks and there's a ton of it out there.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, badvector said:

It's not just the democrats.  I think it's coming sooner than later. I'll link the article below but my thoughts are:

I personally think big pharma has had a hand in stalling the process.  As more industries see an opportunity for income (banks, insurers, wall street), expect their lobbyist to start bending some ears.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annakaplan/2021/11/15/republicans-introduce-bill-to-decriminalize-marijuana-amid-stalled-proposals/?sh=167669b46af1

Keep in mind, there is a BIG difference between "decriminalization", and "legalization"

29 minutes ago, ryano said:

I understand all that.  Their trains, their rules. I strongly disagree with being arrested over a plant though. Hopefully Congress will get their act together and legalize it and tax it and long gone will be the "Reedfer madness"days of being arrested for a plant that all you do to process and use, is dry and cure it.   We no longer live in the 50s.  This is the 21st century  🙂    its past time.   

They may not have been arrested. Whether they were smoking tobacco or pot the police would probably be called to get them off. Many won't leave voluntarily so the police are involved to enforce the ejection. That does not mean they were arrested. The police usually just get the names and write an incident report.

58 minutes ago, badvector said:

I know Big Pharma has stalled the entire process and their lobby is overwhelmingly opposed to legalizing marijuana. The fact that you can't even get any legitimate studies uninitiated to move it off schedule is so frustrating.  

46 minutes ago, ryano said:

Psylosibin and opium are both plants. 

43 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Keep in mind, there is a BIG difference between "decriminalization", and "legalization"

Not necessarily.  If you read the article you will see it is proposed that the determination of "legality" will be left to the States.  

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Amtrak is FEDERALLY subsidized.

1 hour ago, badvector said:

Not necessarily.  If you read the article you will see it is proposed that the determination of "legality" will be left to the States. 

There is a difference. decriminalization would remove all restrictions on growing, transporting, using.  Legalization usually comes with restrictions that become criminal when exceeded. And replacing jail sentences with "civil" fines is not really decriminalization, it is just a different penalty.