Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

2 hours ago, Lucky Smash said:

Why not use CVS or Walgreen's? I believe the test is free. Results in minutes. Seems to me with the ease of getting an appointment now due to the decline in people wanting a test, this is the way to go. What am I missing?

I used the CVS test back in October.  It's a good option, perhaps the best option for some.  Here's why the at-home proctored test may be good for others:

• Not too expensive, IMHO (about $30-35 per test, depending on quantity purchased and shipping costs)
  • Can perform test at any time (I did one at 1:30 AM)
  • Can perform test almost anywhere with Internet access and an Internet-connected device
  • About 30 minutes from login to results
  • No driving required

I'm not blind to the disadvantages of the at-home proctored tests, but I'll let others cover those.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

Just now, Honolulu Blue said:

I used the CVS test back in October.  It's a good option, perhaps the best option for some.  Here's why the at-home proctored test may be good for others:

• Not too expensive, IMHO (about $30-35 per test, depending on quantity purchased and shipping costs)
  • Can perform test at any time (I did one at 1:30 AM)
  • About 30 minutes from login to results
  • No driving required

I'm not blind to the disadvantages of the at-home proctored tests, but I'll let others cover those.

What do consider a disadvantage to the home proctored tests?

25 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

What do consider a disadvantage to the home proctored tests?

I guess I'm elected.  I've read and seen dozens of reports and these are the things I remember:

• They're not free
  • They probably won't be completely covered by insurance
  • Can't make an appointment ahead of time
  • Need to have some tech savviness
  • Tests aren't completely idiot proof; mistakes can be made by the user
  • Need to have Internet and an Internet-connected device to test
  • Need to download an app prior to test (Navica)
  • Proctors can be hard to understand
  • Waits for proctors are possible
  • Some tests come with defective equipment
  • Some tests in the past were close to expiration date

2 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I guess I'm elected.  I've read and seen dozens of reports and these are the things I remember:

• They're not free
  • They probably won't be completely covered by insurance
  • Can't make an appointment ahead of time
  • Need to have some tech savviness
  • Tests aren't completely idiot proof; mistakes can be made by the user
  • Need to have Internet and an Internet-connected device to test
  • Need to download an app prior to test (Navica)
  • Proctors can be hard to understand
  • Waits for proctors are possible
  • Some tests come with defective equipment
  • Some tests in the past were close to expiration date

None of that seems like a big deal to me.  Yes, you should have some spare tests in case there is a problem with the test.  Far more convenient and worth the extra cost.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, wildcats40 said:

I just checked on Celebrity's web site and went to the link to order the testing kit and both the 2 and 3 pack kits are out of stock.  We aren't sailing until March but will need to keep checking.  

I order ours from emed.com or NAVICA. Same tests just going straight to site vs thru X.  

2 hours ago, Midway7934 said:

Do I do mine ,sign out and then do his? Is that what you mean by separately? I am really not tech wise.  Will I need 2 separate results to show on my phone?

I can’t imagine that the proctor would have any issue with your assisting on camera under the circumstances as long as the proctor can see what you are doing. 

You will each need an account in the Navica app and will have your own results to show. It can be the same app on the same phone. 

42 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I can’t imagine that the proctor would have any issue with your assisting on camera under the circumstances as long as the proctor can see what you are doing. 

You will each need an account in the Navica app and will have your own results to show. It can be the same app on the same phone. 

I'm sorry if this question has been answered, but do you start the test from the Navica app or do you start it from emed.com?

54 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

I'm sorry if this question has been answered, but do you start the test from the Navica app or do you start it from emed.com?

If you're using a mobile device, you download and use the Navica app. If you're using a laptop, use your favorite browser and start at emed.com.

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

If you're using a mobile device, you download and use the Navica app. If you're using a laptop, use your favorite browser and start at emed.com.

Actually, every time I have taken the test, I have found that I cannot use Chrome on an iPhone/iPad to access emed.com's site. I had to use Safari, which is definitely not my favorite browser.

13 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Actually, every time I have taken the test, I have found that I cannot use Chrome on an iPhone/iPad to access emed.com's site. I had to use Safari, which is definitely not my favorite browser.

Those are both mobile devices, so I would recommend downloading the app.

27 minutes ago, MamaChach said:

I am sure this has been asked and answered soooooo many times...I cannot read 19 pages of posts:)

We have several walk in covid testing sites that are free.  You are emailed results.  Would this be acceptable for boarding?

It will almost certainly be acceptable, IF you can get the results in time for boarding. I recommend printing out a copy of it and taking it with you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MamaChach said:

I am sure this has been asked and answered soooooo many times...I cannot read 19 pages of posts:)

We have several walk in covid testing sites that are free.  You are emailed results.  Would this be acceptable for boarding?

It depends on the type of test they perform.  Not all test, for example the antibodies test, are accepted.  Check the Celebrity web site for the type of test that are accepted. 

Just now learning that there are 2 different types of BinaxNOW tests.  The ones we have are SELF TEST and do not have a proctor option.  Ugh...

I've seen some references to CVS or Walgreens testing.  That specifically isn't listed on Celebrity's website - Travel Requirements for US Cruises | Celebrity Cruises

1) Are these tests accepted?

2) Does anyone have recommendations for CVS or Walgreens sites near the FLL port?

3) How was your experience?  When did you make an appointment?

2 minutes ago, pking said:

Just now learning that there are 2 different types of BinaxNOW tests.  The ones we have are SELF TEST and do not have a proctor option.  Ugh...

I've seen some references to CVS or Walgreens testing.  That specifically isn't listed on Celebrity's website - Travel Requirements for US Cruises | Celebrity Cruises

1) Are these tests accepted?

2) Does anyone have recommendations for CVS or Walgreens sites near the FLL port?

3) How was your experience?  When did you make an appointment?

We got the rapid result test at CVS prior to our December cruise.  We received the results within two hours of testing, and those results were accepted. 

• Like 1

Can someone tell me what additional health questions are asked upon boarding?

Even with a negative text......Questions regarding your personal past COVID experiences and how long ago?   Someone mentioned that if you had COVID with a couple of weeks you would not be able to board.

Hello all...need some advice. Are we able to take the covid test day of sailing? We are fully vaccinated and boostered.  The wording I've seen was always "within 2 days of sailing", but now I have received an email that says day of sailing is not included in the 2 day calculation. Just wondering how to interpret? Thanks in advance for anyone who has successfully sailed with test taken day of sailing. 

3 hours ago, Maggie North said:

The wording I've seen was always "within 2 days of sailing", but now I have received an email that says day of sailing is not included in the 2 day calculation.

They are just saying that the time window is *not* the 48 hours before departure, but rather starting two calendar days prior to sailing date. BUT .. if port testing is required in addition (unvaxed children??), then they cannot take the test day of sailing because it may invalidate the test at the port.

I would also say that you aren't leaving yourselves any options if you cut it too close. We do our tests around 6 AM two days prior with backup antigen test appointments scheduled that morning just in case.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone shed some light on this excerpt from the healthy at sea

We have a bunch of the free govt issued tests here (non proctored version) but can we just take these to our doctor or pharmacy tech or healthcare professional as listed above and have them proctor the test?  Assuming they document the results ?

Spoke yesterday to Celebrity UK regarding possible testing requirements in Italy in June.  Informed that as it stands I must take a PCR test in the 48 hours before the cruise.  Ship sails from Rome on Saturday 18th June.  I assume I need PCR test on Thursday 16th or am I reading this incorrectly. I have little faith in the information provided yesterday - in three calls I was told a filmed antigen test, then an in person antigen test and finally a 48 hour PCR.  As I arrive room on Wednesday 15th June firm and correct information would have been helpful as I need to source sites in Rome to complete any testing requirements.

The same call speaking of the PCR informed me, wrongly it seems, that all concierge balconies were traditional.  This is my first Celebrity cruise and I would have hoped the left hand might just have known what the right one was doing!