Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yes...if done at home. My preference is not to do it that way. Some guy getting paid to watch you stick a swab up your nose LOL

So, what happens if you schedule a local test, for 2 days before the cruise, and you find out they are so backlogged you can't get quick results, or they can't do it for some another reason.  Having the registered proctored kit, in hand, is your least risky option, in my opinion.  Make an appointment too so you have a backup.  

Edited by johnasmith99
  • Like 1

J....good point. Probably best to have both. That's what my in-laws did. It all just turns me off - still debating on canceling both spring cruises. Very mixed feelings on going, which is the exact opposite of how I typically feel less than 2 months before a cruise. I just have little excitement over it. I probably won't decide till even a week or so before, depending on cancellation / rebooking policies. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

J....good point. Probably best to have both. That's what my in-laws did. It all just turns me off - still debating on canceling both spring cruises. 

I cancelled my January cruise but I feel pretty good about late Spring.  They may still be requiring tests but I think the pandemic will have ended.  Just a matter of the politicians letting loose.  (Oops political 🙂 )

On 2/2/2022 at 7:15 PM, OnTheJourney said:

I have no interest in ordering these kits from the cruise line, though admit it's a good back-up plan. Hoping to get the tests done at a local CVS, Urgent care center, or Walgreen, etc. and done. 

We had an incident the the Cruise line kits.  The proctor instructed me to place drops of liquid from a small plastic container onto the slide- however the plastic container was empty!   I had mentioned this previously.

For my next cruise as back up, I will make an appointment at a Walgreens or CVS.  Unfortunately, it appears you cannot make the appointments too far in advance.  This worries me.

15 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

ID Now is not a whole lot different than a PCR. It's just on the lower sensitivity end of the spectrum and thus more accurate than an antigen test. Plus, results come back faster. ID Now is an Abbott test - same as Binax NOW.    Read more here:  https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW/IDNOW-COVID-19-FAQ.html

Does celebrity accept the ID NOW?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We had an incident the the Cruise line kits.  The proctor instructed me to place drops of liquid from a small plastic container onto the slide- however the plastic container was empty!   I had mentioned this previously.

For my next cruise as back up, I will make an appointment at a Walgreens or CVS.  Unfortunately, it appears you cannot make the appointments too far in advance.  This worries me.

Just wondering if you could purchase the non proctored tests (which are less expensive)  as a backup for the liquid in case the plastic container is empty in the proctored test.

We have 2 proctored Binax tests and 4 non proctored (also Binax).

9 hours ago, chamima said:

Just wondering if you could purchase the non proctored tests (which are less expensive)  as a backup for the liquid in case the plastic container is empty in the proctored test.

It is very unlikely that will work…. I doubt the proctor will allow you to use supplies from multiple boxes to perform the test.  We plan to buy extra tests in case there is a problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chamima said:

Don't you have to break the seal and open the proctored test in front of the proctor?

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Don't you have to break the seal and open the proctored test in front of the proctor?

Yes but I would do the same with the non proctored if the bottle on the proctored was empty. I would show the proctor the sealed box and open it on camera.

To be clear - we only got the at home tests as back ups. (Which might also be why I'm reluctant to pay for extras as back ups to the back ups)

I'm much more comfortable going to our local urgent care for the test.

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes, you do.  I meant to respond to the question about using liquid from a non-proctored home kit.  I do not believe that would be acceptable and  you do have to show the sealed kit to the proctor and open it in front of them.

For our January cruise we had folks coming to Florida two days before the cruise and it was a holiday weekend so they all did the proctored test.  As most of the folks were older, I was with them when they did the tests and the proctor wanted to see everything.

• Thanks 1

Just now, chamima said:

Yes but I would do the same with the non proctored if the bottle on the proctored was empty. I would show the proctor the sealed box and open it on camera.

To be clear - we only got the at home tests as back ups. (Which might also be why I'm reluctant to pay for extras as back ups to the back ups)

I'm much more comfortable going to our local urgent care for the test.

Probably a risky strategy - better to have a back up proctored test kit.  

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Probably a risky strategy - better to have a back up proctored test kit.  

Agree....I purchased a few extra proctored tests because I knew we wouldn't be able to go somewhere on New Year's Eve weekend.

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Agree....I purchased a few extra proctored tests because I knew we wouldn't be able to go somewhere on New Year's Eve weekend.

Where did you purchase them? 

I'm fully vaccinated and booster, but have never had a COVID test. I would like to buy some for backup.

TIA

Yes, the X website is showing they have no stock of the test kits.  However, if this is your preferred method of testing, you can purchase the same kits at this website  https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack  same price, same product, same company (optum) with which X works.

1 hour ago, Mark.Jules said:

Yes, the X website is showing they have no stock of the test kits.  However, if this is your preferred method of testing, you can purchase the same kits at this website  https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack  same price, same product, same company (optum) with which X works.

The same test kits can also be purchased at eMed.com, the company that does the proctoring. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:05 PM, Mark.Jules said:

Thank you.

• Like 1