Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

If you have time to order it prior to the cruise, I highly recommend the test you can purchase through Celebrity. It is $69.99 for 2, it arrived in 2 days, and was relatively simple.

Ok, so let me expand on "simple". Downloading the app was easy, getting someone through the app was very quick, however, on my phone, they could not get a video link after my 1st few minutes. First person was able to get my ID, then lost the video connection. Six people later, and it still didn't work. We just got a camera for our desk top computer. I tried that, and it worked. Oddly enough, my husband did the test earlier in the day, and was told the camera wasn't high enough resolution to read his ID. I had no such issue. Once you get the audio and video connection, it's easy. The rep walks you through the test with very detailed instructions, and those same instructions are displayed on the screen. There is a timer on the screen for the 15 minutes it takes for a result, and once you get that, you click on a link to be connected to another live human, who tells you how to read the results. You show them to the camera, they confirm, and you are emailed the results in a couple of minutes. Sure beat trying to get an appointment somewhere else.

Besides the video connection, the hardest part was keeping my pets out of the room without protestations. The cats were none too pleased that I had the doors closed to our Florida room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lolivas said:

does this mean they will no longer be requiring testing after January?

I suspect it only means that they haven't extended the requirement beyond January yet.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lolivas said:

Celebrity has posted on its FAQ the pre boarding testing requirements through January 2022, does this mean they will no longer be requiring testing after January?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

All that means, especially now, is that no policy has been posted yet for cruises after January. It’s hard to believe that pre-cruise testing won’t be required for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:05 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I am looking at Walgreens in the Tampa area.  I am not seeing a single site that has testing options available for any upcoming dates.  Any advice?  

Try booking exactly a week out and as close to midnight as you can when they load them into the system. The appointments are full otherwise. 

3 hours ago, swigso said:

Hi

does anyone know if travelling from Miami to Tampa and are vaccinated 

and have also had the booster, do you need to provide a negative covid test taken one day before the flight.

Thanks

No.  There are no requirements for testing or vaccination for flying domestically in the US.  

From the UK and looking for help.  We have 3 nights in Miami before we board Silhouette on 25 February. Celebrity have sent me a link to register with the port side provider but I can’t do this as I live outside the US.  I’ve sent an email to ask how I get round this but no response so far.  Really worried about arriving in the US and not being able to get tested before embarkation.  Any advice on tests I can buy in the UK and take with me would be much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Sherrymc said:

From the UK and looking for help.  We have 3 nights in Miami before we board Silhouette on 25 February. Celebrity have sent me a link to register with the port side provider but I can’t do this as I live outside the US.  I’ve sent an email to ask how I get round this but no response so far.  Really worried about arriving in the US and not being able to get tested before embarkation.  Any advice on tests I can buy in the UK and take with me would be much appreciated. 

There are multiple options throughout this thread. Have you read it?

On 1/5/2022 at 10:25 AM, kimlovesfl said:

If you have time to order it prior to the cruise, I highly recommend the test you can purchase through Celebrity. It is $69.99 for 2, it arrived in 2 days, and was relatively simple.

Ok, so let me expand on "simple". Downloading the app was easy, getting someone through the app was very quick, however, on my phone, they could not get a video link after my 1st few minutes. First person was able to get my ID, then lost the video connection. Six people later, and it still didn't work. We just got a camera for our desk top computer. I tried that, and it worked. Oddly enough, my husband did the test earlier in the day, and was told the camera wasn't high enough resolution to read his ID. I had no such issue. Once you get the audio and video connection, it's easy. The rep walks you through the test with very detailed instructions, and those same instructions are displayed on the screen. There is a timer on the screen for the 15 minutes it takes for a result, and once you get that, you click on a link to be connected to another live human, who tells you how to read the results. You show them to the camera, they confirm, and you are emailed the results in a couple of minutes. Sure beat trying to get an appointment somewhere else.

Besides the video connection, the hardest part was keeping my pets out of the room without protestations. The cats were none too pleased that I had the doors closed to our Florida room.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the test. We’re you able to use the $69.99 test kit for two individuals? Or, is it meant for one individual only? On another post someone mentioned a different brand kit that offered two tests but only one QR code so it was meant for only one individual. 

2 hours ago, PCandDC said:

Thank you for sharing your experience with the test. We’re you able to use the $69.99 test kit for two individuals? Or, is it meant for one individual only? On another post someone mentioned a different brand kit that offered two tests but only one QR code so it was meant for only one individual. 

Each test kit has a card with its own QR code and can be used individually.

upping-the-ante-960x430.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:47 PM, CruiseCrew123 said:

Not that easy if you are flying from the UK - we think we can get tests delivered to hotel . Not sure about being able to take them with us and then use a video link 

Hi, if you manage to source any can you post the link please.  We are in a very similar situation , last week it showed that there were limited spaces for international travellers to get tested at port - you just booked a slot before embarking . But the email I received from celebrity yesterday no longer shows this option. The 2 options were the kits that have to be posted to a US address or someone who comes to your hotel or wherever you are staying to provide an antigen test. These were I think  $160 each- would ge willing to pay ...but says result in up to 3 days ...no would be no good !! I spent yesterday googling  but as yet haven't found an answer. Thanks 

3 hours ago, anniedave said:

Hi, if you manage to source any can you post the link please.  We are in a very similar situation , last week it showed that there were limited spaces for international travellers to get tested at port - you just booked a slot before embarking . But the email I received from celebrity yesterday no longer shows this option. The 2 options were the kits that have to be posted to a US address or someone who comes to your hotel or wherever you are staying to provide an antigen test. These were I think  $160 each- would ge willing to pay ...but says result in up to 3 days ...no would be no good !! I spent yesterday googling  but as yet haven't found an answer. Thanks 

I am travelling from the UK, sailing on the Reflection on 05 Feb.  As you can use any CDC approved Antigen test with video call, I am using the same provider that we will use pre flight to Miami (we are spending 3 days in Miami before the cruise).  Although, Celebrity advise of their preferred suppliers, you can use any CDC approved supplier - therefore if it is good enough for our flights into the USA, it will be good enough for the cruise!  Means I can get them delivered to my address in the UK to take with me and arrange the video call in advance and not have the worry or expense of the port testing.  I'm using Qured - which I have now used several times for travel to the US with no issues. https://www.qured.com/fit-to-fly-usa

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, RichYak said:

The Binax test can be purchased locally. Does Celerity require that you pay for theirs?

8 hours ago, jayfos said:

I am travelling from the UK, sailing on the Reflection on 05 Feb.  As you can use any CDC approved Antigen test with video call, I am using the same provider that we will use pre flight to Miami (we are spending 3 days in Miami before the cruise).  Although, Celebrity advise of their preferred suppliers, you can use any CDC approved supplier - therefore if it is good enough for our flights into the USA, it will be good enough for the cruise!  Means I can get them delivered to my address in the UK to take with me and arrange the video call in advance and not have the worry or expense of the port testing.  I'm using Qured - which I have now used several times for travel to the US with no issues. https://www.qured.com/fit-to-fly-usa

Thank you . I will look at this 

2 hours ago, MICHE99 said:

The Binax test can be purchased locally. Does Celerity require that you pay for theirs?

No, as long as it's the one that includes the eMed telehealth service, it's fine. What you see in stores might not be the correct one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MICHE99 said:

If it truly is the BinaxNOW - AG test (and the "AG" part is KEY!), and you can get them locally, go for it.  Just for goodness sake, make sure that AG is written on the outside of an unopened box!

Celebrity is doing that as insurance that you'll get the right one. There's no cost difference between getting it thru their link or the Optum link.  Same place, same price, same item.

I just found what looks to be a fairly comprehensive list of testing places in FLL area.  Contact info is there so you can find out ahead of time the kind of test, appointment requirements, etc.  Most of them are throat swab PCR tests with 48 hours or so to get results, but there's a few rapid tests in there too.

https://www.broward.org/CoronaVirus/pages/collection-sites.aspx

6 hours ago, MICHE99 said:

The Binax test can be purchased locally.

As far as I know, the proctored BinaxNow test kits  — the only BinaxNow home tests accepted  by Celebrity (and others for purposes of travel) — can only be purchased on line, from eMed.com or Optum. What you see in stores are the BinaxNow home tests that have no proctor option. 

As noted above, the proctored tests are called BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag Card Home Test.  Make sure you get the correct tests. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, RichYak said:

I purchased a kit for my recent RC cruise.  When I went on line with the proctor- the fluid in my test kit was empty!  I was defective- the proctor wouldn't allow me to use another kit because of the QR code.  I was instructed to call again.  The proctor took all information and reported the issue.  Would have been a real problem had we not canceled the cruise.  

13 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

As far as I know, the proctored BinaxNow test kits  — the only BinaxNow home tests accepted  by Celebrity (and others for purposes of travel) — can only be purchased on line, from eMed.com or Optum. What you see in stores are the BinaxNow home tests that have no proctor option. 

As noted above, the proctored tests are called BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag Card Home Test.  Make sure you get the correct tests. 

I have not seen any BinaxNow (non-proctored) tests in the stores and pharmacies in my area for the past three weeks. Before that they were in abundance.   I recently ordered an alternative brand home test on Amazon but I still have not received it - ordered 2 weeks ago.  The proctored ones maybe are far easier to get at least right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I purchased a kit for my recent RC cruise.  When I went on line with the proctor- the fluid in my test kit was empty!  I was defective- the proctor wouldn't allow me to use another kit because of the QR code.  I was instructed to call again.  The proctor took all information and reported the issue.  Would have been a real problem had we not canceled the cruise.  

Same here. Thankfully, I had purchased one extra kit. Always have a backup plan in place. 

• Like 1