Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

24 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Any claim that a Binax test obtained from the library can be considered a "back up" to get on the ship is incorrect.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "back up", it can even be your "Plan A"--IF you obtained the Binax test from a public library in Ohio. Note where @2theship lives...

4 hours ago, 2theship said:

We’re in Central Ohio...

Let me be as clear as I possibly can because it doesn't seem to be sinking in. The same Binax RX proctored covid tests that can be purchased via the Optum and Emed sites are offered for free in Ohio public libraries.

https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odh/media-center/odh-news-releases/odh-news-release-09-07-21

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "back up", it can even be your "Plan A"--IF you obtained the Binax test from a public library in Ohio. Note where @2theship lives...

Let me be as clear as I possibly can because it doesn't seem to be sinking in. The same Binax RX proctored covid tests that can be purchased via the Optum and Emed sites are offered for free in Ohio public libraries.

https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odh/media-center/odh-news-releases/odh-news-release-09-07-21

Couldn't get your link to work for OH Dept Health...but yup, here is another source with a photo. Wow!! I guess Ohio was hoping with the free proctored exam that at-home test results would get reported in to the State system. Nice.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/free-rapid-at-home-covid-tests-offered-at-ohio-libraries-as-state-sees-increase-in-demand/530-d604f405-ae00-4981-8c82-1a04749a2cb8

33 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Wow, you're correct.  I stand corrected.  I've never heard of this type of proctored test being handed out for free.  I suspect Ohio is paying a lot for each of these tests under the hope that the residents will call in and have the results reported to the state.  I'm not sure I see the benefit to each individual person jumping through the hoops for the proctored tests.  I would think that most people would just test themselves, keep the results to themselves and then act appropriately.

49 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Wow, you're correct.  I stand corrected.  I've never heard of this type of proctored test being handed out for free.  I suspect Ohio is paying a lot for each of these tests under the hope that the residents will call in and have the results reported to the state.  I'm not sure I see the benefit to each individual person jumping through the hoops for the proctored tests.  I would think that most people would just test themselves, keep the results to themselves and then act appropriately.

Why would the results go to the State of Ohio? The "Celebrity" test kits results come back to the individual, not to Celebrity. I suspect there would be strong HIPA objections if the results were shared by Binax beyond the client without explicit permission.

EDIT: I scrolled back a few posts. I noted that people are directed to an Ohio site to get monitored for the testing. So maybe Ohio does get the data. But I wonder if it would pass Celebrity requirements?

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Wow! I think I need to move to Ohio!!

9 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Why would the results go to the State of Ohio? The "Celebrity" test kits results come back to the individual, not to Celebrity. I suspect there would be strong HIPA objections if the results were shared by Binax beyond the client without explicit permission.

From a WBNS article.

Author: Lindsey Mills
Published: 5:09 PM EDT August 4, 2021
Updated: 5:09 PM EDT August 4, 2021
Facebook Twitter

THE QUESTION

"Are the results of COVID tests from a take-home kit reported to the state?"

THE SOURCE

Ohio Department of Health

THE ANSWER

Yes, for state-provided tests.

WHAT WE FOUND

According to a statement from ODH, "results of at-home tests provided by the state are reported on the COVID-19 dashboard. The tests are conducted in a guided manner through a virtual appointment, and the results are read and reported by the telehealth provider, and in turn appear on the dashboard."

If it were me, I would just take the test by myself.  However, there may be some benefit in having the proctored test results if you need to provide results to an employer, school, etc.  

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Thanks 1

I have heard from friends about the free tests in Ohio!

Depending on where you live, be sure to check out the Center for Covid control

https://centerforcovidcontrol.org/locations/

I had ordered the proctored tests from Celebrity but didn’t even need them as I found this based on input from someone on my roll call. It was less than 5 minutes from home,  No appointment needed, no insurance needed, no charge. We went Friday morning since we flew to FL Sat and boarded Sunday. Had the negative  antigen results within minutes and got PCR results Monday morning. Would be happy to donate my Optum test kit but think it expires this weekend…. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, KathyL2537 said:

I have heard from friends about the free tests in Ohio!

Depending on where you live, be sure to check out the Center for Covid control

https://centerforcovidcontrol.org/locations/

I had ordered the proctored tests from Celebrity but didn’t even need them as I found this based on input from someone on my roll call. It was less than 5 minutes from home,  No appointment needed, no insurance needed, no charge. We went Friday morning since we flew to FL Sat and boarded Sunday. Had the negative  antigen results within minutes and got PCR results Monday morning. Would be happy to donate my Optum test kit but think it expires this weekend…. Thanks 

Note - that search option is good, but not comprehensive. E.g., in my case it shows the nearest site to be 19 miles away in a neighboring city, but I know of two local sites, within five miles of me. So if it gives you a good option, go for it! Otherwise, try alternate searches.

My plan is to go local for a test on a Friday, travel Saturday, embark Sunday. I.e., my schedule is like yours. My Optum test kits have an extended expiration about 10 days after I cruise, I plan to take those with me to have at the hotel to hand off to anybody who might be looking for a test. (Assuming of course that I don't need them for a back-up if my local-test [lan falls through.)

Stan

6 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I admittedly didn't read all the fine print when I took my Binax test, but it's my understanding that the results of ANY administered covid test (Binax Rx, CVS, Walgreens, etc) are reported to your state's Board of Health. I would have expected that, had I tested positive, a call from my state BoH would have been forthcoming for contact tracing.

• Like 1

It's not clear to me that the results of a test aren't sent to Celebrity.  During the sign in process, you need to answer the questions about why you are taking the test.  If you select requirement to cruise, I believe that you need to identify a cruise line.  Perhaps Emed sends the info to the cruise line.

7 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

It's not clear to me that the results of a test aren't sent to Celebrity.  During the sign in process, you need to answer the questions about why you are taking the test.  If you select requirement to cruise, I believe that you need to identify a cruise line.  Perhaps Emed sends the info to the cruise line.

When registering for the NAVICA app (which is where results from a proctored Binax AG Card test are officially reported/uploaded by the proctor), it asks for your State of residence and specifically says positive results will be reported to your State health board.  Celebrity just views your NAVICA result from your phone app (or print out). Results are not received by Celebrity until you share it with them at boarding. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PAGA said:

When registering for the NAVICA app (which is where results from a proctored Binax AG Card test are officially reported/uploaded by the proctor), it asks for your State of residence and specifically says positive results will be reported to your State health board.  Celebrity just views your NAVICA result from your phone app (or print out). Results are not received by Celebrity until you share it with them at boarding. 

And I can confirm that, as suspected, both CVS and Walgreen's report positive results to your State health board as well. I found the small print last night.

Perhaps this question has been previously answered, but I didn't see it in a quick search of the thread.  I plan on going to our local Walgreens.  They don't do the antigen test there, just the Abbot IDNOW test, which is a molecular test, not antigen.  Celebrity specifically says that it must be a PCR or Antigen test.  Does anyone know for sure if Celebrity will accept the IDNOW test from Walgreens?

13 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Perhaps this question has been previously answered, but I didn't see it in a quick search of the thread.  I plan on going to our local Walgreens.  They don't do the antigen test there, just the Abbot IDNOW test, which is a molecular test, not antigen.  Celebrity specifically says that it must be a PCR or Antigen test.  Does anyone know for sure if Celebrity will accept the IDNOW test from Walgreens?

My search came up with this comment...

3 hours ago, carefreegirl said:

Anyone that has used the Binax Now proctored test for Celebrity cruises, need some info.

Will I be able to help my husband do his test ( open the card, apply the drops) or is the person taking the test, the only one to be able to do this? TIA

Debbie

You will be able to help your husband, not a problem. 

On 11/26/2021 at 7:26 PM, johnasmith99 said:

Let us all know how that worked out with location, cost etc. 

Our test at the Urgent care center went great; in and out in 30 minutes with our negative tests.

Ironically, our hotel (Rodeway Inn) in Ft. Lauderdale had a tent set up in the parking lot the two days we were there giving free covid tests!  I did not go over and check to see what type of tests, since we were done with ours, but I would think rapid antigen.

We were only checked once for our passports, test results and vaccination card on boarding and did not have to take another test before boarding.  Boarding was very easy and quick.

One person tested positive about a week into the cruise; they must have been kept quarantined as we made no unscheduled stops and as far as I know no helicopter rescue.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:49 PM, MVPinBoynton said:

Mike ~ we only go to Walgreens and Celebrity DEFINITELY accepts the IDNow Test.  We've used it for our last three sailings (since August).  Sorry if this was already answered....When are you sailing!