Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

Is anyone else having issues getting into the testing session today? We get an error after the audio, video, etc check. When we click that we are read to start the session, we get a popup that says, "There is a problem starting the session. Please try again." We get the same error on a different device when trying to initiate the test for a different person.

EDIT: I kept clicking "OK" to try again over and over again, and after a couple of minutes I got into the queue. So, if you get this message, keep trying. I suspect their queue was full on previous tries. The estimated wait time is 40 minutes.

Edited by Rwb11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rwb11 said:

Is anyone else having issues getting into the testing session today? We get an error after the audio, video, etc check. When we click that we are read to start the session, we get a popup that says, "There is a problem starting the session. Please try again." We get the same error on a different device when trying to initiate the test for a different person.

EDIT: I kept clicking "OK" to try again over and over again, and after a couple of minutes I got into the queue. So, if you get this message, keep trying. I suspect their queue was full on previous tries. The estimated wait time is 40 minutes.

Yep just have to keep clicking OK when you get that error. 

We did both ours today and waits were 35-40 mins each. 

Any suggestions for testing while in Europe?  We will arrive 4 days prior to boarding in Rome.  Has anyone procured tests there?  I know I can take some tests with me but am curious how difficult it is to find a local option.  I will likely reach out to the hotel as well.

Lifeisrealygood,

I think we are on the same cruise as you are.  Celebrity Equinox.  We are flying in on Friday, early afternoon and don't really know at this point what we can do for testing.  Can we get it done at the FLL airport?  I hope so.  Otherwise we'll have to go to Walgreens and beg for one. 

Hopefully, things will have changed by March and testing will be easier to obtain.

Wishful thinking.

Louise

Edited by Altarose

3 hours ago, Altarose said:

Lifeisrealygood,

I think we are on the same cruise as you are.  Celebrity Equinox.  We are flying in on Friday, early afternoon and don't really know at this point what we can do for testing.  Can we get it done at the FLL airport?  I hope so.  Otherwise we'll have to go to Walgreens and beg for one. 

Hopefully, things will have changed by March and testing will be easier to obtain.

Wishful thinking.

Louise

We were on the Equinox on a cruise that ended Dec. 10th.  Although we were able to get our test at home, the hotel that we stayed at, Rodeway Inn, had a testing site set up in their parking lot and as of a week or so ago we received a brochure from them that stated that  Covid testing could be obtained there.

It might be worth your while to call and see if they are still offering this.  I did not walk over and check it out, as we had our test results already, but assume it was the rapid antigen test, and I believe it was free.   It's the Rodeway Inn near the airport and cruise port.

15 hours ago, Altarose said:

Lifeisrealygood,

Wishful thinking.

Louise

See above. $59 at FLL Airport outside the AA baggage claim (T3). don't even think for a moment that you can walk to a Walgreens and beg your way to a test without an appointment because that will almost certainly be the killer for your trip.

Why not order the home test kit from BinaxNOW?

Edited by Fly and Sail
Add info.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

See above. $59 at FLL Airport outside the AA baggage claim (T3). don't even think for a moment that you can walk to a Walgreens and beg your way to a test without an appointment because that will almost certainly be the killer for your trip.

Why not order the home test kit from BinaxNOW?

The facility at FLL appears to only be available for passengers with flights booked out of FLL, not even those flying in.  When I checked the website, the 'drop down' menu where you supposedly picked your airport of origin didn't have any options other than Fort Lauderdale.  I won't have an outbound flight because I'm sailing on a transatlantic.

5 hours ago, Tigrou said:

The facility at FLL appears to only be available for passengers with flights booked out of FLL, not even those flying in.  When I checked the website, the 'drop down' menu where you supposedly picked your airport of origin didn't have any options other than Fort Lauderdale.  I won't have an outbound flight because I'm sailing on a transatlantic.

There was definitely a passenger on my AA flight who got tested there because while waiting for the baggage he walked over and got his test.

Worst case if it's really like you said I'd present a fake ticket (just book one, get the email and cancel it right away for free within 24h).

Edited by Fly and Sail

8 hours ago, Tigrou said:

I spoke to a live agent from Nomi, Elena, and she told me that they will accept cruisers either entering or leaving FLL. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tigrou said:

No, we used it flying in.  If you make reservations ahead of time, the key is that you need to put FLL both for your departing airport and your arriving airport.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just an fyi: we ordered six Abbott BinaxNow proctored test kits from eMed.com on Sunday, and they were delivered today by Fed Ex -- just two days!  (This was despite the fact that their web site says they might be delayed because of demand.)  The expiration date is in November 2022. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

No, we used it flying in.  If you make reservations ahead of time, the key is that you need to put FLL both for your departing airport and your arriving airport.  

Thank you, that's very helpful.

@Crew News

just posted the following on Holland America thread. "I am staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street and used Lab Doctor one block away for rapid antigen test for cruise tomorrow.  Cost was $49 and only walk-ins accepted. 

Pick up a form on a clipboard from the cart outside the  front door and take a seat on the row of chairs outside.  Wait was 10 minutes to be celled, move from chair to chair until you are next in line,  5 minutes for the test, and printed results in hand 20 minutes later. Easy Peasy.

Lab Doctor, 1425A SE 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL  33316 "

This sounds like a great option for pre-cruise Covid test in Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1