Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

For those cruisers living in the USA, you can start to access free government at-home COVID tests on Wednesday Jan 19.  You can get 4 tests per household.  Shipped free.  Not the one you need for the proctored cruise test- however a good back up plan to have some of these on hand for pre-checking yourself several days before you have to take the 48 hour pre-cruise test.  Or checking yourself when you get home.  These at-home tests are still very hard to find in local stores and pharmacies.   Link to the government website below.

https://www.covidtests.gov/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Honestly, we decided since we paid for a test at the pier as backup.  Got feed up hanging on the phone for over one hour with a dud test then being told I had to call in again!  The reason we canceled was a snowball of events, our flight was canceled, covid rates increasing,  shows canceled, ports changing, and other changes- so we felt bad omens.  Friends who were on the ship a week before did have covid when they arrived home.  We are set to try again in March!

I'm keeping my January 30 booking on the Edge. I really don't see much if any improvement by March or any other time.  Covid is here to stay and we have to learn how to protect ourselves. 

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Honestly, we decided since we paid for a test at the pier as backup.  Got feed up hanging on the phone for over one hour with a dud test then being told I had to call in again!  The reason we canceled was a snowball of events, our flight was canceled, covid rates increasing,  shows canceled, ports changing, and other changes- so we felt bad omens.  Friends who were on the ship a week before did have covid when they arrived home.  We are set to try again in March!

So sorry all that happened to you!  We're still planning on going, but we have several weeks to decide yet.  And I was wrong about those tests - the ones I got were only ONE test per box, not 2.   For backup in case the PCR concept doesn't work.

Today in Fort Lauderdale, on 17th Street 1/4 mile from the cruiseport.  No appts accepted, only walk ins.  Called "Lab Doctor".  I have NO affiliation, Hotel Recommended.   The have chairs outside, its a mini mall, Toilet in Panera Bread across from them (ha), clipboards with information to fill out, basic stuff, privacy etc.   Antigen test while you wait $49 each.   We tested today January 17th 2pm , Both Negative and will board Reflection on January 19th.   We are fully vaccinated as well...so glad no surprises.  So easy.....Whole thing took 35 minutes, they were friendly, clean and responsive to any questions.  Good luck all and Safe Sails.....

• Like 4

On 1/17/2022 at 11:57 PM, cruiseerf said:

Today in Fort Lauderdale, on 17th Street 1/4 mile from the cruiseport.  No appts accepted, only walk ins.  Called "Lab Doctor".  I have NO affiliation, Hotel Recommended.   The have chairs outside, its a mini mall, Toilet in Panera Bread across from them (ha), clipboards with information to fill out, basic stuff, privacy etc.   Antigen test while you wait $49 each.   We tested today January 17th 2pm , Both Negative and will board Reflection on January 19th.   We are fully vaccinated as well...so glad no surprises.  So easy.....Whole thing took 35 minutes, they were friendly, clean and responsive to any questions.  Good luck all and Safe Sails.....

We did a test there in december en I had to stand 3 hours in line!

1 hour ago, lizinindy said:

The Optum site says sold out of the antigen monitored covid tests today 1/19

Glad my tests were delivered for my 3/5/22 cruise. I plan to get tested at FLL airport when we arrive but have the proctored tests as a backup.

9 hours ago, lizinindy said:

The Optum site says sold out of the antigen monitored covid tests today 1/19

This is what scares me about relying on that method. Planning on doing a test nearby at a medical facility or pharmacy. Have to make sure on any of those websites, however, that you select the antigen and not PCR test, since the latter take longer to get results back. All this is simply NUTS!!! 

Want to share my experience with BeeperMD.

I am sailing on Celebrity Apex Jan 22, Sky Princess Jan 29, and Holland America Rotterdam Feb 5.

I made an online appointment with BeeperMD on Dec 8 for my wife and I to test on Jan 20, between 11:00 - 1:00, 2 days before departure. In the comments I stated that we were staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel and would meet the tester in the lobby. 

I got an immediate email confirmation. I didn’t hear anything else.

I was not comfortable with this and had a backup plan.  Was able to get appointments at Walgreens on Sunrise, then would plan on a trip to LabDoc on 17th, and last our eMed test kits.

I called BeeperMD at 11:00 (start of appointment window).  Was told tester would be at hotel at 11:30.  She walked into lobby at 11:30. 

We found a quiet spot to test. It took her about 25 minutes to complete both tests (negative) and do a zoom with a nurse practitioner to certify tests and enter paperwork.

At 12:15 I got an email that the test was complete and there was no charge. 

At 1:00 we got confirmation emails that both tests were negative. 

This process could not have been easier. I would recommend you have a backup plan in case of a problem.

Will use our eMed Abbott kits for cruise 2 and 3. 

Sent from my iPad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, pilot said:

I am sailing on Celebrity Apex Jan 22, Sky Princess Jan 29, and Holland America Rotterdam Feb 5.

I made an online appointment with BeeperMD on Dec 8 for my wife and I to test on Jan 20, between 11:00 - 1:00, 2 days before departure. In the comments I stated that we were staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel and would meet the tester in the lobby. 

I was not comfortable with this and had a backup plan.  Was able to get appointments at Walgreens on Sunrise, then would plan on a trip to LabDoc on 17th, and last our eMed test kits.

I called BeeperMD at 11:00 (start of appointment window).  Was told tester would be at hotel at 11:30.  She walked into lobby at 11:30. 

We found a quiet spot to test. It took her about 25 minutes to complete both tests (negative) and do a zoom with a nurse practitioner to certify tests and enter paperwork.

This process could not have been easier. I would recommend you have a backup plan in case of a problem.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with BeeperMD. It sounded almost too good to be true: they come to you and provide rapid antigen test at no cost! Really happy to hear your firsthand experience.

We have eMed proctored BinaxNow AG card test kits to use at home before we fly to FL. Great to have this FL test source for backup in case of any problems with eMed

18 hours ago, pilot said:

Sent from my iPad

Seems like a very nice option.  What was the cost?

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The post you quoted said there was no charge.  Which seems pretty strange (since they don't mention any insurance info being taken).   

This is from the Q&A on the BeeperMD website.

How are some tests free?

For individuals or families, many tests are 100% covered through health insurance.

For those without health insurance, The United States government is currently covering the total cost of COVID testing. BeeperMD handles all the billing for you.

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This is from the Q&A on the BeeperMD website.

How are some tests free?

For individuals or families, many tests are 100% covered through health insurance.

For those without health insurance, The United States government is currently covering the total cost of COVID testing. BeeperMD handles all the billing for you.

The rapid antigen and regular speed PCR were listed as free, but you could incur a visit charge (of $49, if I recall correctly) for same day testing if only one person was being tested. If two or more test, then there was no charge. Don’t have time to look up where on their website I found this yesterday. Going from memory. Probably in FAQs or similar

1 hour ago, JaneStarr said:

The rapid antigen and regular speed PCR were listed as free, but you could incur a visit charge (of $49, if I recall correctly) for same day testing if only one person was being tested. If two or more test, then there was no charge. Don’t have time to look up where on their website I found this yesterday. Going from memory. Probably in FAQs or similar

Seems like a nice option but not available in many states.  But it is good for FL.

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The post you quoted said there was no charge.  Which seems pretty strange (since they don't mention any insurance info being taken).   

When I set up appointment they asked for a copy of insurance card. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Seems like a nice option but not available in many states.  But it is good for FL.

Yes; it says it’s currently only available in FL, TX & NY.

Since I’m in CT, I’m just keeping the info in my back pocket in case of need before our cruise from FLL. I’m a belt & suspenders person!

Beeper MD seems too good to be true. If they come to you and it’s free why isn’t everybody doing it? Has anybody had a bad experience with this? 

I wonder if they’ll come up to your hotel room or just do it in the lobby? I’ll be stuck in a Miami hotel without a car so this seems perfect for me. 

2 hours ago, Marie51 said:

Beeper MD seems too good to be true. If they come to you and it’s free why isn’t everybody doing it? Has anybody had a bad experience with this? 

I wonder if they’ll come up to your hotel room or just do it in the lobby? I’ll be stuck in a Miami hotel without a car so this seems perfect for me. 

I know,  definitely sounds too good to be true.  Would like to hear from people who have used this for testing 

6 hours ago, Outofofficeon said:

Does anyone from the UK have a customer care number for celebrity that is a freephone.  I need to know if anyone knows exactly what test they will accept to board 

Please don't tie up a phone rep for this. If you call, they will simply read the information from their FAQ page that is readily available on their website and you can read on your own.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Please don't tie up a phone rep for this. If you call, they will simply read the information from their FAQ page that is readily available on their website and you can read on your own.

46 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I have a five day summit getting back on a Thursday and leaving on Equinox on Friday. Will I be able to get a test on summit Wednesday for my Friday cruise or will I have to drive around Ft Lauderdale to get tested. .

Waited on phone for 90 min before discontented 

10 minutes ago, toddmanka said:

I have a five day summit getting back on a Thursday and leaving on Equinox on Friday. Will I be able to get a test on summit Wednesday for my Friday cruise or will I have to drive around Ft Lauderdale to get tested. .

Waited on phone for 90 min before discontented 

Doubtful you'd get a straight answer. Regardless what the phone rep says, that information is worth nothing once you board Summit.

My advice: make arrangements for testing on Friday somewhere in Ft Lauderdale and/or bring eMed tests with you. Speak to guest relations on board Summit and see if they'll test you as a courtesy. They probably won't. If they do, great. If not, you'll have a backup plan in place.