Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

2 hours ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

"You won't find them on the site. They're on the outside of the box"

It would be nice to know the expiration date of what I'm purchasing before buying it so I know if it will be good when I need it.

Folks have been reporting that orders being received now have expiration dates in late 2022, maybe even early 2023. 

2 hours ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

It would be nice to know the expiration date of what I'm purchasing before buying it so I know if it will be good when I need it.

Fair enough.  I purchased a trio of tests from Optum a few weeks ago and I've read several reports of posters here who have purchased from both Optum and direct from eMed in the past month.  Mine expire in November '22.  Most others have received tests that expire in November, but some have expiration dates in December '22 or January '23.  I think it's safe to say you'll get tests that expire in November or later if you purchase today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

Are these the best option for pre cruise testing in in London prior Is to the trip or are there easier options in London?

I suggest you ask over in the Britain port of call forum, where folks should be able to tell you what in-person options are readily available. Also do a Google search.

Pardon my denseness - density? - on this subject, but as we start ramping up for our cruise next month, I'm paying attention, finally.

• I keep reading on CC about proctored tests but I don't believe that applies to those of us traveling domestically to FLL. Is that correct?
  • AND that any test can be purchased, not just the ones through X's site? My company provides reimbursement and they have a specific procedure we need to follow as well. 
  • We sail on a Friday so we can take our tests anytime Wednesday then, correct? 
  • Lastly, if you're taking a home test, what is the proof you provide? The little stick with negative? How do they know those are ours? And what date they were taken? (We have not used any of our home tests, thankfully, so not yet familiar with what the kits provide for this.

Reading halite below from the X site, I don't see anything about proctoring, nor that the kits need to be a specific brand.  

Thank you for humoring me 🙂 

All vaccinated guests must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation and complete a health questionnaire prior to sailing. All unvaccinated children between the ages of two and eleven years old, will be required to bring a negative PCR test result conducted within three days of embarkation. An additional COVID-19 Antigen test will be administered in the terminal before boarding and on the day before disembarkation

The CDC has advised unvaccinated guests cannot be tested twice in one day as it may affect the accuracy of the test results, therefore the COVID-19 test required before arriving at the terminal cannot be taken on boarding day.

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type. 

21 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Pardon my denseness - density? - on this subject, but as we start ramping up for our cruise next month, I'm paying attention, finally.

• I keep reading on CC about proctored tests but I don't believe that applies to those of us traveling domestically to FLL. Is that correct?
  • AND that any test can be purchased, not just the ones through X's site? My company provides reimbursement and they have a specific procedure we need to follow as well. 
  • We sail on a Friday so we can take our tests anytime Wednesday then, correct? 
  • Lastly, if you're taking a home test, what is the proof you provide? The little stick with negative? How do they know those are ours? And what date they were taken? (We have not used any of our home tests, thankfully, so not yet familiar with what the kits provide for this.

Reading halite below from the X site, I don't see anything about proctoring, nor that the kits need to be a specific brand.  

Thank you for humoring me 🙂 

All vaccinated guests must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation and complete a health questionnaire prior to sailing. All unvaccinated children between the ages of two and eleven years old, will be required to bring a negative PCR test result conducted within three days of embarkation. An additional COVID-19 Antigen test will be administered in the terminal before boarding and on the day before disembarkation

The CDC has advised unvaccinated guests cannot be tested twice in one day as it may affect the accuracy of the test results, therefore the COVID-19 test required before arriving at the terminal cannot be taken on boarding day.

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type. 

If you do a self (home) test, it MUST be proctored.  You can't just walk into a CVS or Walgreens and buy any test, it must be one that has someone watch you take your test online. You will get your results emailed to you and that is the proof you use before you board your cruise.  FYI--do NOT open any part of the test before the proctor tells you because that will void the test.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Lastly, if you're taking a home test, what is the proof you provide?

You can't just take any home test, it must be a proctored (telemed) test like the ones linked to on Celebrity's FAQ or the ones sold on emed.com. The proctor (telemed professional) watches you take the test, examines the result, and sends you the official results via email. The emailed results are the proof you provide.

Alternatively, you can schedule a test at CVS, Walgreen's, or other testing site for the Wednesday before your Friday cruise.

I would encourage you to schedule a test AND purchase the proctored home tests. One for plan A and the other as a backup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

You can't just take any home test, it must be a proctored (telemed) test like the ones linked to on Celebrity's FAQ or the ones sold on emed.com. The proctor (telemed professional) watches you take the test, examines the result, and sends you the official results via email. The emailed results are the proof you provide.

Alternatively, you can schedule a test at CVS, Walgreen's, or other testing site for the Wednesday before your Friday cruise.

I would encourage you to schedule a test AND purchase the proctored home tests. One for plan A and the other as a backup.

THANK YOU - As a communications director I find it so annoying that the provider information is only in the FAQ rather than on the Overview page on Healthy at Sea! Way to bury the lead!

46 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Follow-up question - is everyone buying two kits PER PERSON rather than then 3-kit test? Or are you finding the 3-kit is sufficient, with one as a backup for a couple?

Thank you.

As a risk management professional 😀 I bought 3 tests for 2 people BUT I also had CVS test appointments scheduled for later in the day as a backup to the backup.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

Follow-up question - is everyone buying two kits PER PERSON rather than then 3-kit test? Or are you finding the 3-kit is sufficient, with one as a backup for a couple?

Thank you.

Three tests for two people are only sufficient when they are sufficient. If you have bad luck and two of the tests are spoiled (e.g., reagent bottle empty, adhesive for the card is missing) and/or there’s user error, then you’d be out of luck. It’s an unlikely scenario, but you’ve spent a lot for the cruise; do you want to put it at risk for $30?  Your call. 

• Like 1

Oh my....let's hope that in a few months, or whenever the time might come, none of us will be discussing any of this testing baloney, although I suppose some of it will be here to stay. The world keeps on changing. Then we can look wistfully back to the good old days I guess. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, wildcats40 said:

I just checked on Celebrity's web site and went to the link to order the testing kit and both the 2 and 3 pack kits are out of stock.  We aren't sailing until March but will need to keep checking.  

I have no interest in ordering these kits from the cruise line, though admit it's a good back-up plan. Hoping to get the tests done at a local CVS, Urgent care center, or Walgreen, etc. and done. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 2/1/2022 at 5:23 PM, Laurab23 said:

So if my cruise leaves on a Friday I should schedule a rapid antigen test from Walgreens or CVS on Wed? Any other places in NYS offering rapid tests? I read someplace that appts open up 14 days ahead?

Laura

Yes,  get the rapid antigen test Wednesday or Thursday if you leave on the cruise Friday. In addition to Walgreens or CVS you can also go to an urgent care center. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Marie51 said:

Yes,  get the rapid antigen test Wednesday or Thursday if you leave on the cruise Friday. In addition to Walgreens or CVS you can also go to an urgent care center. 

I noticed that walgreens by us only offers Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)  and the PCR test.  Is the Rapid Diagnostic same as rapid antigen?

Thanks

21 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I have no interest in ordering these kits from the cruise line, though admit it's a good back-up plan. Hoping to get the tests done at a local CVS, Urgent care center, or Walgreen, etc. and done. 

I ordered the kits. Got them in three days. It has to be a proctored test. 

21 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Oh my....let's hope that in a few months, or whenever the time might come, none of us will be discussing any of this testing baloney, although I suppose some of it will be here to stay. The world keeps on changing. Then we can look wistfully back to the good old days I guess. 

It’s not baloney. It’s important. 

4 hours ago, closecruiser said:

Is the Rapid Diagnostic same as rapid antigen?

ID Now is not a whole lot different than a PCR. It's just on the lower sensitivity end of the spectrum and thus more accurate than an antigen test. Plus, results come back faster. ID Now is an Abbott test - same as Binax NOW.    Read more here:  https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW/IDNOW-COVID-19-FAQ.html

Edited by OnTheJourney