Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The proctored ones maybe are far easier to get at least right now.

I think they definitely are. We ordered a six-pack of the proctored tests to make sure we had some in hand to use non-proctored if we need home tests. I realize they are more expensive, but it doesn’t matter how much less something costs if you simply can’t buy it.  (And the expiration dates are 11/22, so we can hang into them.)

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Same here. Thankfully, I had purchased one extra kit. Always have a backup plan in place. 

I had a back up plan.  Royal allows you to book an in person test appointment day of cruise at the pier.  I booked and paid for the appointment which we didn’t use.  Hope celebrity offers this option also.  

On 1/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, jayfos said:

I am travelling from the UK, sailing on the Reflection on 05 Feb.  As you can use any CDC approved Antigen test with video call, I am using the same provider that we will use pre flight to Miami (we are spending 3 days in Miami before the cruise).  Although, Celebrity advise of their preferred suppliers, you can use any CDC approved supplier - therefore if it is good enough for our flights into the USA, it will be good enough for the cruise!  Means I can get them delivered to my address in the UK to take with me and arrange the video call in advance and not have the worry or expense of the port testing.  I'm using Qured - which I have now used several times for travel to the US with no issues. https://www.qured.com/fit-to-fly-usa

Thanks for this helpful info.  Will do the same. We also have 3 nights in Miami prior to our sailing date of  25 Feb.  Actually looking for a decent hotel (sailing out of Fort Lauderdale).  The current Miami one that’s part of our package has some horrible reviews on Tripadvisor.  Any pointers? Thanks! 

Hi

This is one for any recent cruisers from either the UK or Ireland. Can anyone confirm that the test you took prior to flying to the USA was accepted for boarding the ship. We are on the 25th Feb sailing on Silhouette and are flying from Dublin the day before. We will be taking an antigen test prior to the flight to the US with Randox at Dublin. Wondering it this will be ok.

3 hours ago, GERRYRICE62 said:

Hi

This is one for any recent cruisers from either the UK or Ireland. Can anyone confirm that the test you took prior to flying to the USA was accepted for boarding the ship. We are on the 25th Feb sailing on Silhouette and are flying from Dublin the day before. We will be taking an antigen test prior to the flight to the US with Randox at Dublin. Wondering it this will be ok.

Yes it should be fine, we took a test at Heathrow on the 2nd and sailed on the 4th. Enjoy your cruise

Project Screen by Prenetics state that their observed test is FDA approved. I used it as a trial when I went to France in December and the observed part was easy to use on my iphone. 

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/teleheath-lateral-flow-antigen-test/

I have just bought a Fit to Fly and Day 2 from them for a ski trip to Italy in a fortnight.

However we fly on the 5th March for a cruise 7th March so will use express test at Heathrow Terminal 5 for both.

@Sherrymc  The Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale has good right ups and apparently is providing free tests. The website is a little vague on that though.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:50 PM, Host Anne said:

Celebrity is currently not doing testing on the ship for embarking passengers.  However you have multiple options for testing in Florida.  Walgreens does offer testing for passengers from the UK.  I had multiple family & friends sailing with us tomorrow, including four guests from the UK, take the on-line test yesterday.  Very quick and easy.  Our UK friends purchased their tests in the UK and brought them with them.  I will ask where they purchased them and post here.

We are also flying in from the UK a few days early and im interested to read that Walgreens offers tests to “aliens”. Do you know what the cost is?  Thanks

On 1/2/2022 at 8:06 PM, anniedave said:

I'm looking for the same info - travelling from the UK 18th Feb, staying with family in Pembroke pines for a couple of days then embarking 21st Feb so need to know how/where to get a test pre cruise.  Be great if we can just buy in uk to take with us. Any heko would be much appreciated 

I got an email from Qured today that said you can do the supervised tests online from the US. I think I’m going to order 2 as backup to the Optum tests from Celebrity 

On 1/7/2022 at 12:42 PM, Sherrymc said:

From the UK and looking for help.  We have 3 nights in Miami before we board Silhouette on 25 February. Celebrity have sent me a link to register with the port side provider but I can’t do this as I live outside the US.  I’ve sent an email to ask how I get round this but no response so far.  Really worried about arriving in the US and not being able to get tested before embarkation.  Any advice on tests I can buy in the UK and take with me would be much appreciated. 

I got an email from QURED confirming that you can access their website for testing supervision from the US. I’m going to go with the Celebrity online tests and have the Qured tests as a backup. That presupposes internet access where you are staying. I’ve read posts elsewhere that say hotels will assist 

On 1/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, jayfos said:

I am travelling from the UK, sailing on the Reflection on 05 Feb.  As you can use any CDC approved Antigen test with video call, I am using the same provider that we will use pre flight to Miami (we are spending 3 days in Miami before the cruise).  Although, Celebrity advise of their preferred suppliers, you can use any CDC approved supplier - therefore if it is good enough for our flights into the USA, it will be good enough for the cruise!  Means I can get them delivered to my address in the UK to take with me and arrange the video call in advance and not have the worry or expense of the port testing.  I'm using Qured - which I have now used several times for travel to the US with no issues. https://www.qured.com/fit-to-fly-usa

I contacted Qured and they confirmed that it is possible and acceptable to link in to a supervised test from the US and am going to take a couple as backup 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:43 AM, TeeRick said:

I have not seen any BinaxNow (non-proctored) tests in the stores and pharmacies in my area for the past three weeks. Before that they were in abundance.   I recently ordered an alternative brand home test on Amazon but I still have not received it - ordered 2 weeks ago.  The proctored ones maybe are far easier to get at least right now.

We ordered the AG one from Optum and it arrived in about 5 days.  We ordered three kits (of 2 each) for security.  

I wonder why Cruiseaholic wasn't able to use a second test.  One would think they should be able to cancel a QR code electronically so that another (hopefully viable) test could be administered.  I would be so angry if I had to cancel because of that!

28 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Out of curiosity, why would pay so much more for three 2-packs instead of one 6-pack? 

Currently Optum does not have a six 1-packs, only three 2-packs or single 2 pack.

EMed does have the 6 single pack.

Edited by kenb

1 hour ago, kenb said:

Currently Optum does not have a six 1-packs, only three 2-packs or single 2 pack.

EMed does have the 6 single pack.

I’m aware of all this. Three 2-packs cost $210 from Optum. One 6-pack from Emed costs $150. Why pay $60 more for the same number of tests? was what I was trying to ask. I guess I wasn’t clear. 

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I’m aware of all this. Three 2-packs cost $210 from Optum. One 6-pack from Emed costs $150. Why pay $60 more for the same number of tests? was what I was trying to ask. I guess I wasn’t clear. 

Shipping is an extra $16.99 for the eMed tests, but still a significant savings overall. We went with them before our Christmas cruise. Not sure how quickly they're shipping these days, but back in early December, we received ours Monday following a Thursday order.

We didn't end up using them though. The eMed site was down for eight hours the day we planned on testing, so we went with our backup CVS appointments. Still have the tests, which expire 10/22. Hope to use them to fly back from London after our July cruise. 🤞

On 1/2/2022 at 3:06 PM, anniedave said:

I'm looking for the same info - travelling from the UK 18th Feb, staying with family in Pembroke pines for a couple of days then embarking 21st Feb so need to know how/where to get a test pre cruise.  Be great if we can just buy in uk to take with us. Any heko would be much appreciated 

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to post from our ship.  Here is a link to Qured, the company our UK friends used for testing.  It worked great for them!

https://www.qured.com/

Our cruise will be March 13th so the situation may change but two questions.

We will fly to Miami already 9th so we have to have the test taken either on Friday 11th or Saturday 12th. We will be staying in Hilton hotel next to Miami Dolphin Mall and there is a FastLabs (fastlabsmed.com) testing site. I have already checked that they will test also non US citizens but has someone used their services please? It is not very cheap but very conveniently located.

Second question. Our return flight will be first with American Airlines from Miami to JFK and then with Finnair from JFK to Helsinki, Finland. As Finnish citizens we don't have to get tested to return to home but will AA as an airline require negative test result please? I have tried to check their web pages but could not find any information about this.

All information will be highly appreciated 🙂 

For those of you who want to do a preliminary home COVID test prior to your 48 hr pre-cruise proctored test, here is a very recent report ranking the "usability" of the home tests including the popular ones like BinaxNow and On/Go among others.   Hopefully this is helpful to us cruising folk.  ECRI is a non-profit organization in healthcare.

ecri_covid_at-home-testing-kit_report.pdf

Edited by TeeRick
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

For those of you who want to do a preliminary home COVID test prior to your 48 hr pre-cruise proctored test, here is a very recent report ranking the "usability" of the home tests including the popular ones like BinaxNow and On/Go among others.   Hopefully this is helpful to us cruising folk.  ECRI is a non-profit organization in healthcare.

ecri_covid_at-home-testing-kit_report.pdf 1.57 MB · 5 downloads

Good info. I’ve been using the Abbott BinaxNow - AG card for proctored tests. 
I’ve been happy with the ease of use of another test —the iHealth test —for non-proctored. It’s not one of the ones rated in that report. Just figured it worth mentioning because of the periodic scarcity of self-test kits. They have FDA EUA and a

come in a 2-pack for $13.99 + shipping from iHealth or for $19.80 from Amazon with free Prime shipping. 

UPDATE: https://ihealthlabs.com raised their price to the same as Amazon Prime ($19.80) and now include free shipping. 

Edited by JaneStarr
Add info

7 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

Good info. I’ve been using the Abbott BinaxNow - AG card for proctored tests. 
I’ve been happy with the ease of use of another test —the iHealth test —for non-proctored. It’s not one of the ones rated in that report. Just figured it worth mentioning because of the periodic scarcity of self-test kits. They have FDA EUA and a

come in a 2-pack for $13.99 + shipping from iHealth or for $19.80 from Amazon with free Prime shipping. 

UPDATE: https://ihealthlabs.com raised their price to the same as Amazon Prime ($19.80) and now include free shipping. 

I'm glad you like the iHealth test.  That is the only one I was able to buy from Amazon recently.  It took about two weeks to get it.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:43 AM, TeeRick said:

ecri_covid_at-home-testing-kit_report.pdf 1.57 MB · 12 downloads

Thank you. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:04 AM, Birdnutty said:

We ordered the AG one from Optum and it arrived in about 5 days.  We ordered three kits (of 2 each) for security.  

I wonder why Cruiseaholic wasn't able to use a second test.  One would think they should be able to cancel a QR code electronically so that another (hopefully viable) test could be administered.  I would be so angry if I had to cancel because of that!

Honestly, we decided since we paid for a test at the pier as backup.  Got feed up hanging on the phone for over one hour with a dud test then being told I had to call in again!  The reason we canceled was a snowball of events, our flight was canceled, covid rates increasing,  shows canceled, ports changing, and other changes- so we felt bad omens.  Friends who were on the ship a week before did have covid when they arrived home.  We are set to try again in March!

Edited by Cruise a holic