Just cancelled YC

soloadventurer

In Oct we did a 11nt Med cruise 10 days before the cruise MSC changed the rules requiring us to have a PCR test ( 180euros) then onboard although allowed to travel freely in Spain 🇪🇸 MSC choose to not to allow vaccinated passengers off unless through an MSC tour ( money making exercise in MHO )

So we had 2 further cruises booked with them both in the YC - 1 had a change of itinerary and was free to cancel after much pondering we decided to cancel it - the reason is very simple, cruising is about exploring new places not about be restricted by MSC to go were only they want you to go and also the continued instance on PCR tests. 

It’s sad in a way because MSC were first out of the blocks with resuming cruises but i feel they’re moving backwards. Customer service is shocking and we experienced that in Oct after a 3hr boarding process to find out are cards were wrong and dining times were wrong which resulted in another 30mins at guest services.

Anyway as a Diamond member i long forward to our cruise in Jan but have chosen to book other cruises with other cruise lines

• Like 1

The issues you experienced in October are pretty much addressed when you moved to Yacht Club. Wait times are pretty much non-existant.  I understand your frustration with the Covid related demands, however.  Unfortunately, this is a trade-off.  Without these demands the boats would still be sitting empty. I'm cruising next May and am keeping my fingers crossed that some of this pre-cruise stuff is gone by then.  I've booked Yacht Club so I'm expecting a pleasant experience.  Sorry you canceled, but I totally understand.  Just don't give up on it.  

• Like 1

I love people that complain about things regarding traveling in a pandemic.  It is a fact you are traveling in a pandemic and there will be changes and inconveniences that are unfortunately really out of the control of the cruise lines.  They are things that the cruise line must do to be able to sail.   

However, I completely understand if you are frustrated and complain about the poor IT and customer service because they are things that are totally the company's fault. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THE MASSIVE COVID PRECAUTIONS AT THE MOMENT - DO NOT CRUISE

AND DO NOT FLY! 

My last flights under Pandemic conditions / rules were so horrible, no MSC travesty could come even close to this. And yes, I booked a flight to the EXPO and a MSC cruise for January, a decision that makes me think if I should get my brain checked. 

Anyway, if I can visit the EXPO and board the Virtuosa I will be happy, if I cannot leave the ship for one week that is far away from a punishment. Often enough on Med cruises I was to lazy to leave my beloved cruise ship at places I had been before 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:36 AM, Homosassa said:

Good luck in finding a cruise line that does not have required covid related testing and other restrictions for on board or port required experiences.

Exactly, and who would want to cruise with a company that doesn’t have Covid testing requirements and some restrictions at this time?  It’s a small inconvenience to get us back to cruising. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, because all guests must be vaccinated to cruise.

That would be a restriction that impacts on shore experiences.

Same as MSC! but MSC make you buy a tour to get off the ship.

Edited by sidari

If you don't like the restrictions, that's the right call.

I cancelled an MSC cruise scheduled to leave Rome in 4 days due to covid.  The nature of the cruise, with long transcontinental flights, changing entry/testing requirements and such made me feel that it wasn't worth the bother and risk.  I'll revisit a Europe trip in 2022.

We are going forth with a Celebrity cruise out of Miami next month.  Not as many twists and turns.  Just get the rapid covid test, show proof of vaccination and we should be good to go.

Obviously, as others have mentioned, the pandemic creates inconveniences, risks, and concerns for all involved.  But, if you are not interested in dealing with those, then you did the right thing.  

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 3

Thank you for all the kind comments. 

Many missing the point!! 

I am free to travel to Spain without restrictions on movement being fully vaccinated. I board in Barcelona and on top of my vaccination I’m required to present a negative result -  then stops in Spain ( remembering I’m free to travel freely under Spanish  requirements) and MSC refuse to allow me to go ashore fully vaccinated unless i take their tour.

so the presumption of MSC is that Spain must be dangerous? Or else its about making more revenue ie shore excursions.

6 minutes ago, soloadventurer said:

Many missing the point!! 

I am free to travel to Spain without restrictions on movement being fully vaccinated. I board in Barcelona and on top of my vaccination I’m required to present a negative result -  then stops in Spain ( remembering I’m free to travel freely under Spanish  requirements) and MSC refuse to allow me to go ashore fully vaccinated unless i take their tour.

so the presumption of MSC is that Spain must be dangerous? Or else its about making more revenue ie shore excursions.

What was the last port of call on your 11-night Mediterranean cruise before the stop in Spain ?

The more information you provide the more accurate replies you get.

Example: Spain has classified Malta as “risk country”.. visitors arriving from Malta need negative PCR result to enter Spain.. sailing the traditional MSC loop , Malta is the last port of call after one day at sea before arriving in Spain.

6 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

Many missing the point!! 

Presume the latter.  We are double vaxed Spanish Residents and early October did Med YC MSC followed 2 days later by Med Haven NCL.  Enjoyed both, so good to be back cruising despite the restrictions.   Allowed on ship only MSC excursions 1st week, free to embark on our own 2nd week with NCL (apart from Italy)

We understood this before embarking and had the option to move dates, so no complaints

5 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

....Many missing the point!! 

I am free to travel to Spain without restrictions on movement being fully vaccinated. I board in Barcelona and on top of my vaccination I’m required to present a negative result -  then stops in Spain ( remembering I’m free to travel freely under Spanish  requirements) and MSC refuse to allow me to go ashore fully vaccinated unless i take their tour....

I would counter it's you who's missing the point! You cannot make or apply your own rules. It's an MSC ship, and they make the rules for sailing with them....suck it up, or cancel, your choice! 😉

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1