Is Celebrity Now Charging For Home Re-entry Testing?

wendycook22

While I am not surprised that Celebrity will start charging for the testing service, the prices seem reasonable to me.  When the 72 hour testing prior to embarkation requirement was enacted I called a list of local (Fairbanks, Alaska) testing sites.  Only two thought they would have the results back in time before we would be flying to Seattle to board the Millennium.  At one site the cost was $209 per person, and the other charged $335 per person.  When the testing window was shortened to 48 hours we bought the dMed proctored tests.

And I also agree -- Celebrity needs to clean up their inconsistent messaging.  

Celebrity will be picking up the cost of the PCR testing for existing reservations from December 3-31 sailings.  The costs will be applicable to all new bookings. 

They are still working on operational details.  

My representative stated they are optimistic that the PCR requirement will be dropped by 2022.  

This is the response I received. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While the focus of most posts on this thread has been on Celebrity offloading the cost of the tests on the passengers, my greater concern is the fact that they will only test you if your flight home is within 24 hours of disembarkation. That means that the majority of those with flights booked the following day will not be allowed to be tested onboard.  

While having to arrange a test ashore involves a certain amount of additional inconvenience, what happens if you test positive? The Safe Passage Home program, a major reason why we have booked with Celebrity promises the following:

We’re with you every step of the way no matter where in the world you travel with us. If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of your onboard COVID-19 medical treatment, land-based isolation, and private air transfer home for you and your traveling party, if required.

So, if your flight is on disembarkation day and you test positive onboard, Celebrity will take care of you. But if your flight is the next day, Celebrity washes their hands of you? Clearly, if you test positive the day after disembarkation, you caught the virus during the cruise, and Celebrity should provide the same level of protection and assistance to you.

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Will X charge for the 2nd leg of B2B passengers

Agree with those saying the charge for the test isn’t necessarily the problem! It’s the 24 hour requirement for travel to even be eligible to be tested onboard! We have a side-by-side booked on Celebrity with 1 day in between. That fit the testing onboard the first leg (at no cost) criteria when we booked! Is it still true with this change? Celebrity set a program in place with a beginning and end date! They should not be changing the terms mid-stream that many agreed to when they booked! You really have to wonder which piece of the Safe at Sea “promise” they will change next!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wendycook22 said:

Celebrity will be picking up the cost of the PCR testing for existing reservations from December 3-31 sailings.  The costs will be applicable to all new bookings. 

They are still working on operational details.  

My representative stated they are optimistic that the PCR requirement will be dropped by 2022.  

This is the response I received. 

Did you call the number that was listed for questions in the email? If this only applies to new bookings, I’m wondering why I received this pertaining to my existing booking (I have no cruises booked past mid-December of this year) with a link for me to click on to verify that I received the notice. I don’t plan to click the link until I verify what is going on a bit more as I suspect that would constitute accepting the new terms.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SeasideMemories said:

Did you call the number that was listed for questions in the email? If this only applies to new bookings, I’m wondering why I received this pertaining to my existing booking (I have no cruises booked past mid-December of this year) with a link for me to click on to verify that I received the notice. I don’t plan to click the link until I verify what is going on a bit more as I suspect that would constitute accepting the new terms.

I received the email for my December 11 2021 sailing.  

I followed up with my Celebrity representative (I am a PT Travel Consultant). That is the reply I received from my rep.  I also confirmed that message was received by other agencies in a travel agent group.  Their message was scripted the exact same way.  

I also have not yet clicked the link.  I wanted to receive more details, particular relating to the operational side that is yet to be determined.  

Edited by wendycook22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, astro57 said:

I have the same letter. The site used to say complimentary test when I booked,  I have it in print,  now they say they are charging. That's like saying the drinks aren't included anymore.  How can anyone be loyal to a company doing business that way.

Just like everything else...you have to be flexible. More people traveling, open borders etc. Why should Celebrity continue to pay for the tests? Glad they are not, since no doubt it would be folded into an increase across the board. You pay for your flight based on where you are coming from, you should pay for your test to enable the flight. additionally, this was not n offer, it was a temporary accommodation. So if this means you no longer want to cruise Celebrity....shrug. Good luck on another line. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, astro57 said:

I have the same letter. The site used to say complimentary test when I booked,  I have it in print,  now they say they are charging. That's like saying the drinks aren't included anymore.  How can anyone be loyal to a company doing business that way.

Well now they are not complimentary.  My view is it is time to stop that policy, we want to cruise, we accept the risks/costs/etc.  We pay thousands for the cruise and now want to moan about a $100 or so test.  There are other lines for you. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I met a very nice Canadian couple onboard the Apex today who will be flying home after this cruise ends on Saturday. 

During our conversation they also confirmed that Celebrity no longer offers PCR tests onboard, just antigen tests. I later found out after talking with Customer Service that Celebrity has contracted a local vendor in Ft Lauderdale (in our case) to administer the PCR tests for its guests in the cruise terminal once the requiring passengers disembark the ship. But CS also said the PCR test was complimentary.

Now, I don’t know if this is because this new policy just started and the folks on the Apex requiring the service had no previous warning of this change by Celebrity, but that’s what I was told. I was also told the PCR test will take about 90 minutes to get the results.

If you are getting your PCR test and it takes 90 min to get your results at the pier, I certainly wouldn’t be booking an early flight out of FLL or MIA and I wouldn’t want to go to the airport without my results in hand. Too stressful.

16 hours ago, SeasideMemories said:

Agree with those saying the charge for the test isn’t necessarily the problem! It’s the 24 hour requirement for travel to even be eligible to be tested onboard! We have a side-by-side booked on Celebrity with 1 day in between. That fit the testing onboard the first leg (at no cost) criteria when we booked! Is it still true with this change? Celebrity set a program in place with a beginning and end date! They should not be changing the terms mid-stream that many agreed to when they booked! You really have to wonder which piece of the Safe at Sea “promise” they will change next!

Are you kidding? So exactly for how long should they be responsible for you? 48 hrs?  72hr? Your cruise is over the day you disembark. The landscape due to the pandemic is changing daily. If you cannot deal with it with the same level of flexibility, then you shouldn't be traveling yet.

You should be able to get tested locally right after disembarkation from the first cruise.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

If you are getting your PCR test and it takes 90 min to get your results at the pier, I certainly wouldn’t be booking an early flight out of FLL or MIA and I wouldn’t want to go to the airport without my results in hand. Too stressful.

Good point. Unfortunately, I have no idea how long they have known about this change, possibly prior to boarding, to getting their PCR test at the cruise terminal. Hopefully, it won’t be too impactful for them.

Lets see for months the cruise lines have been saying that protocols are subject to change. 

It is not just a coincidence that the policy changed at the same time as the US opening to international travel.  Prior to this reopening there would have been relatively few people that would require testing.  With international travel the numbers will increase considerably, along with the costs.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Missymo said:

I received the same email, apparently in the am.  I opened it in the PM and  did click, as requested. "request expired".  So Im sure a lot of people did not click on the announcement. 

same here. They will just have to look at the vax cards when we board

On 11/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Cg52 said:

We were just told by the Celebrity agent that it was no longer available on the ship but that we could line up and get it at the terminal when we first get off..no charge was mentioned. I wonder if this is an alternative to lining up. Get it onboard for a fee. 🤔

Yes you can get it onboard for a fee but ONLY if you have a return flight booked within 24 hrs of disembarkation.  My question is when does that 'clock' start ticking?  when exactly is disembarkation - do they  mean like 10:30 am when the ship is probably all empty?  What if your flight is at 11:00 am?  Are you now out of luck?  (meaning only those with flights before 10 am maybe can get the test onboard for a fee? and everyone else gets off and lines up at the terminal once they are off the ship/through customs?).

Very confusing in my opinion.  I am not against paying for the test but booked on Celebrity because of the stress free option of having the test done onboard and being able to get off with test results in hand!  We are spending an additional night post cruise in FLL - but guess we should not book an afternoon flight given this new information?

Edited by Froufie
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Cg52 said:

We were just told by the Celebrity agent that it was no longer available on the ship but that we could line up and get it at the terminal when we first get off..no charge was mentioned. I wonder if this is an alternative to lining up. Get it onboard for a fee. 🤔

I have not called yet to double check on my situation but my husband and I were just talking tonight about the change to testing requirements and this was exactly what he said.

Celebrity had made the change last week (or maybe the week before) from testing International cruisers that required it onboard the night before disembark (so you had your results when you left the ship) to testing in the terminal after disembark. It seemed to not go well in that people were waiting 1-3 hours for results which really caused issues with same day flights home. 

I am now wondering if the email is really just a poorly worded announcement to say exactly what Cg52 has posted. That testing onboard for a fee is an option if you need to have results right away for a same day flight. And if the *option* to test at no cost in the terminal with a slower turn around time for flights the next day or so still exists.

Time will tell!

• Like 1

Check out the latest Testing and Screening information I just noticed this evening on the Celebrity website.

Effective November 16, 2021 - Fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Testing will be available at the rate of $55 per person for Antigen and $95 per person for PCR.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Check out the latest Testing and Screening information I just noticed this evening on the Celebrity website.

Effective November 16, 2021 - Fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Testing will be available at the rate of $55 per person for Antigen and $95 per person for PCR.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

That is the topic of discussion - but unclear as mentioned above about what happens to those who are not within the 24 hr time frame?  What are the options then and how does it work?  Those leaving on the same day of disembarkation obviously have no problem meeting this requirement.  I guess with so many more international travellers Celebrity feels the need to now charge $$ and somehow restrict the number of tests being done onboard?

One of the reasons I booked with Celebrity in the first place was to ensure having the test done onboard BEFORE disembarkation - not happy about this new development!

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

is it a matter of not wanting to pay for the test or am I missing something?

Not at all - - I think we are all okay with paying for the test - assuming we can get it ONBOARD before leaving the ship.  Many of the promises re coverage were based on this previous protocol - now defunct leaving many Canadians unprepared and unaware of where/how to get the testing done and more importantly what happens with a positive test result (once off the ship and possibly a day later?)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess in that case if it were us based on the new rules, we would be changing our flight to Saturday at noon. We would also make sure we had ample cruise insurance to cover any costs that we would subsequently incur on the slight chance we tested positive.

F

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess in that case if it were us based on the new rules, we would be changing our flight to Saturday at noon. We would also make sure we had ample cruise insurance to cover any costs that we would subsequently incur on the slight chance we tested positive.

First off ~ LOVED your live reviews!!!

Again, without sounding obnoxious, the costs incurred for quarantine aren’t really an issue for me personally. Our trip insurance indeed covers a portion of it.

It’s that damn private jet transfer home in case of Epic Cruise Fail that enticed me to book!!!

Regent totally covers your quarantine costs ~ Seven Seas Splendor and a Sky Suite on Apex were comparably priced.

• Like 2

I know when we go on a cruise we purchase medical insurance which includes coverage for paying for a medivac service back from a foreign country we might be dropped off at. Wouldn’t that be applicable for Canadians to do since if you tested positive for C19 on the ship and they were going to disembark you at Ft Lauderdale since the US is a foreign country? 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I know when we go on a cruise we purchase medical insurance which includes coverage for paying for a medivac service back from a foreign country we might be dropped off at. Wouldn’t that be applicable for Canadians to do since if you tested positive for C19 on the ship since the US is a foreign country? 

Thankfully, asymptomatic Covid  for those fully vaccinated is not a medical emergency… for travel, it’s an inconvenience.

Many Canadian insurers are still NOT covering cruises as the Canadian government is still officially telling us to avoid cruising….

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Thankfully, asymptomatic Covid  for those fully vaccinated is not a medical emergency… for travel, it’s an inconvenience.

Many Canadian insurers are still NOT covering cruises as the Canadian government is still officially telling us to avoid cruising….

Than you took a gamble, hope it works out 

1 minute ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Then I can definitely see your dilemma as we are low stress cruisers as well. The last thing we want done is to be dropped off in a foreign port and not have enough coverage to pay for that $30,000+ medivac flight back to our home.

But at the same time I can see why Celebrity is changing their CWC coverage rules, especially now that we’re into November and their ships are filling to 60-80% capacity on many of their ships.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Then you take your chances. Hope it works out for you. No reason whatever to anyone to blame Celebrity for adjusting their policy or procedures, or to somehow feel damaged because they have. 

• Like 1