Alcoholic Drink Limit of 15 for ALL - Is this new?

tbjl24

From Carnival's Know Before You Go Page:

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to request ID prior to the purchase of alcohol and refuse the sale of alcohol to anyone. Guests will be limited to purchasing a maximum of 15 alcoholic beverages, per person, per day while on board.

This reads that all guests are limited to 15 alcoholic drinks per day....not just those that purchase the Cheers package. Sorry if I missed this previously. I figured it would have made a lot of noise if it had already been posted. 

7 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

You are correct. It's clearly stated on Carnival's website:

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1106

Yep...just shocked. I've often debated the drink package simply because it is possible to be perfectly fine after 15 drinks on a long day. I guess it no longer factors in the debate. 

I'm not sure how this actually works - hubs bought several rounds of shots during a football game on the MG, and did not run into any issues hitting his 15 unnaturally early.   He probably had twenty drinks himself that day (fifteen through Cheers) and bought another dozen or more for others without any issues.

In 59 Carnival cruises I have never been cut off at 15 drinks EXCEPT when I have had Cheers. It's hard for them to track otherwise. Rounds of drinks for friends,  buckets of beer, extra shots for $3, bottles  of wine, etc. They would have to make assumptions and I don't think they want to go down that rabbit hole. 

19 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Not always.  I used to stop using cheers at drink 14 and then pay cash up until I was heading for bed and then I would grab cheers number 15.  They changed this a few years back. 

I remember other cruisers said you could do this too.  I guess if you drink more than 15 you need to order a bottle for your room and/or bring your allowed bottle of wine.

If you're not causing any problems and aren't being loud or acting a fool, some bartenders will look the other way if a friend buys a drink with their cheers and gives it to you. I met a guy on my last cruise who drank like a fish but also spread them out during the day. At night after he hit 15, a bartender would let me use my cheers and get him a few drinks. He wasn't stumbling, loud, knocking stuff over, etc. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

In 59 Carnival cruises I have never been cut off at 15 drinks EXCEPT when I have had Cheers. It's hard for them to track otherwise. Rounds of drinks for friends,  buckets of beer, extra shots for $3, bottles  of wine, etc. They would have to make assumptions and I don't think they want to go down that rabbit hole. 

This! With growlers, buckets, large formats, bottles of wine etc, and the option of buying a few bottles for the cabin, there shouldn't be problems for anyone getting their fill. No need to worry about hitting a limit and getting the kid treatment. It's easily avoided if one is a professional. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

4 hours ago, natefish95 said:

If you're not causing any problems and aren't being loud or acting a fool, some bartenders will look the other way if a friend buys a drink with their cheers and gives it to you. I met a guy on my last cruise who drank like a fish but also spread them out during the day. At night after he hit 15, a bartender would let me use my cheers and get him a few drinks. He wasn't stumbling, loud, knocking stuff over, etc. 

I’ve been that friend lol. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 4:20 AM, Jamman54 said:

Yep, that is why this specific line in the policy caught me off guard. I've seen folks get cut at 15 with Cheers and others who have been told please drink some water and come back later....but, this seems different. Maybe it's there to help bartenders point to a policy for unruly guests.