Cruising through Tahiti 2022 or later?

dexddd

5 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

where did you see those limits? We are sailing from Hawaii to Tahiti October 2022 and that would stink if it gets cancelled 😒

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/tahiti-ban-large-cruise-ships/

I've had my eye on a few world voyages that this will effect. There are several places that are reducing tourist capacity for preservation. Maui currently has a push to limit the number of tourists each day which could also effect cruising. Sustainable tourism. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

22 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/tahiti-ban-large-cruise-ships/

I've had my eye on a few world voyages that this will effect. There are several places that are reducing tourist capacity for preservation. Maui currently has a push to limit the number of tourists each day which could also effect cruising. Sustainable tourism. 

Thanks for the link. If the cruise still sails but cant stop in Bora Bora etc. I may have to rethink this 😒

• Like 1

Having been to Bora Bora on a land-based vacation, I can unequivocally say that there is NO WAY Bora Bora could accomodate a ship with more than a few hundred passengers, max.

Bora Bora never has more than about 1,000 people on it at any given time. That is it's max infrastructure and that INCLUDES ALL of the resorts there combined. They only get about 56,000 visitors in a YEAR.  With a 2,500 passenger cruise ship, they would get that every 22 days.  

There is nothing to do there that doesn't require getting on a smaller boat and Bora Bora does not have enough smaller boats to accomodate so many people. The boats they do have are used to take resort guests on their excursions and there's no way a $1500 a night resort is going to give their boats up to cruise ship folks. 

There is no way a ship could show up with 2,500 (or more) passengers on any given day and be able to offer them anything.  

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/as-more-ports-ban-mega-cruise-ships-what-is-the-future-of-the-largest-vessels

I am so glad that we managed to visit Bora Bora and other islands in 2019, it was on the Eurodam which has a passenger number shown as 2104. It was one of the most memorable cruises ever especially snorkeling in the Polynesian islands.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

On 11/16/2021 at 12:44 PM, jbcallender said:

Has there been a response from NCL yet?  We are on Spirit in November 2022, obviously  if we can't go to Bora Bora, thats a problem and possibly merits some credit?

Sounds like Windstar and Gaugin have been doing some lobbying.

The Spirit is under the 2500 mark, so if the ruling holds Bora Bora is the only concern at this moment. From what people are saying about not much to do there, the Island may not have  excursions, or maybe they will allow morning excursions and afternoon excursions, who knows.

9 hours ago, susanf31 said:

Having been to Bora Bora on a land-based vacation, I can unequivocally say that there is NO WAY Bora Bora could accomodate a ship with more than a few hundred passengers, max.

Bora Bora never has more than about 1,000 people on it at any given time. That is it's max infrastructure and that INCLUDES ALL of the resorts there combined. They only get about 56,000 visitors in a YEAR.  With a 2,500 passenger cruise ship, they would get that every 22 days.  

There is nothing to do there that doesn't require getting on a smaller boat and Bora Bora does not have enough smaller boats to accomodate so many people. The boats they do have are used to take resort guests on their excursions and there's no way a $1500 a night resort is going to give their boats up to cruise ship folks. 

There is no way a ship could show up with 2,500 (or more) passengers on any given day and be able to offer them anything.  

Pretty much every Tahiti-visiting transpacific cruise used to stop in Bora Bora or Moorea. 

There may be exceptions for trans pacific voyages:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/as-more-ports-ban-mega-cruise-ships-what-is-the-future-of-the-largest-vessels

"The president of French Polynesia, Édouard Fritch, acknowledges this, saying in a statement that exceptional circumstances will be considered for transpacific voyages. A spokesperson for Princess Cruises confirmed they “are in dialogue with port officials” and that they “hope not to cancel any planned calls.”

On 11/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, jbcallender said:

Has there been a response from NCL yet?  We are on Spirit in November 2022, obviously  if we can't go to Bora Bora, thats a problem and possibly merits some credit?

Sounds like Windstar and Gaugin have been doing some lobbying.

Maybe, maybe not.  Gauguin owned by Ponant now which I'm trying to figure out if a good thing or bad.

I think it wasn't an issue before because few ships went there.  Now seeing large lines going there and charging high rates.  

Having been there a few times (not on a cruise), my suggestion is to fly there and stay a while.   You miss out in what truly makes it special on a cruise. 

Moorea, Raetea and some of the other islands are less well known but just as fabulous.   Some of the islands have almost no infrastructure and haven't changed in 50 years.  French Polynesia is an absolute must if you can get there!